cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extreme over priced shipping

I was looking at some silver for sale on Ebay and the seller was from Isreal.  He had a set of tumblers and a serving tray for sale for $79,  but was charging $299 for shipping!  He also has a silver teapot for sale for $159, but the shipping is $999!  When I sent him a message why the shipping was so high and even asking for the weight and dimensions of the box so I can check the shipping price, he offered to sell it to me for $349 and free shipping.  I thought this type of selling was prohibited?  I tried to contact customer service, but got a message that is was down right now.

Anyone with some insight?

Thanks, Tami

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Why would be prohibited? It's entirely up to the seller. He can charge $999 and $1 in shipping, or $1 and $999 in shipping, the outcome is identical.
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

It's not prohibited, but it's going to turn off a lot of buyers who know what they are looking at or maybe ensnare one who isn't paying attention  (Oh!! look at that [item] price!!)

I won't buy from sellers who do that.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Very shady to say the least. I guess the ripoff shipping isn't technically prohibited but haggling with customers for offsite sells is 100% prohibited. 

It's typical stuff where eBay has failed honestly. I mean what have been peoples' complaints from the beginning? Ripoff shipping costs, sellers claiming items were shipped that weren't, etc. Had they cracked down on shady sellers long ago Amazon would probably be either bankrupt or it would be an online Barnes and Noble. Instead eBay is losing market share while Amazon is looking at possibly 50% of all online sales within the next few years. 

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

@vintageruch5tami wrote:

When I sent him a message why the shipping was so high and even asking for the weight and dimensions of the box so I can check the shipping price, he offered to sell it to me for $349 and free shipping.  I thought this type of selling was prohibited?

It's not prohibited, but (at best) it sounds like a seller who has no idea what he's doing. Alternatively, if he was suggesting that he could sell it to you for $349/Free as an off-eBay purchase instead, that would be a huge red flag.

For items of that size, I would suggest limiting your search to (domestic) U.S. sellers only.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

@vintageruch5tami wrote:

I was looking at some silver for sale on Ebay and the seller was from Isreal.  He had a set of tumblers and a serving tray for sale for $79,  but was charging $299 for shipping!  He also has a silver teapot for sale for $159, but the shipping is $999!  When I sent him a message why the shipping was so high and even asking for the weight and dimensions of the box so I can check the shipping price, he offered to sell it to me for $349 and free shipping.  I thought this type of selling was prohibited?  I tried to contact customer service, but got a message that is was down right now.

Anyone with some insight?

Thanks, Tami

I guess it would depend on how he made the offer. I just looked at the last 2 messages I received from buyers asking questions about one of my listings and right in the listing is a Reply button and then a Reply With Offer button. I've never used it so I don't know where it goes or what it does but it does give the seller the option to make an offer to a buyer who asked a question.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

@t-man-x wrote:

It's typical stuff where eBay has failed honestly. I mean what have been peoples' complaints from the beginning? Ripoff shipping costs, sellers claiming items were shipped that weren't, etc.

eBay has dealt with these things. Why do you think that sellers are now charged FVF on shipping? So that there is no point to shorting the item price and padding shipping and handling. The sellers gain no advantage on their eBay fees, and they just turn off a lot of buyers. Sellers are free to defeat themselves, as they should be.

As for sellers not shipping, are you familiar with how the Money Back Guarantee works? If buyers are competent, they file for a refund, and the seller not only has to give back the money, he gets disciplined for it. The Item Not Received dispute works, but it's up to buyers to know that it's there for them.

Had they cracked down on shady sellers long ago Amazon would probably be either bankrupt or it would be an online Barnes and Noble. Instead eBay is losing market share while Amazon is looking at possibly 50% of all online sales within the next few years. 

To some degree, that is an apples-to-oranges comparison. Amazon began as a conventional mail-order merchant, selling goods it controlled through means that it controlled. Yes, they started Marketplace to make themselves more like eBay, but they still have flexibility that eBay doesn't have because buyers can buy directly from Amazon as well as from Marketplace sellers.

eBsy remains at its heart Pierre Omayadar's marketplace for Pez dispenser collectors. In fact, there are many times when I believe that eBay would work better if it gave up trying to be all things to all people and return to its roots, being content as a marketplace for collectibes, an Etsy for nerds of varous stripes. eBay began as a peer-to-peer marketplace, with all of the strengths and weaknesses of that model, and that is what it remains in spite of everything that has happened in the last 20 years.

As a result, eBay does not and cannot control its sellers as tightly as Marketplace does (and in spite of what the whiners here will say, Marketplace is a harsher seller environment than eBay). As a result, eBay sellers are more free to experiment than they are on Marketplace, and to that degree eBay is still a place where you can find things that you wouldn't on Marketplace.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

When I see a total cost I do NOT want to pay, I move on to another seller.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Hang around these boards enough, and you will also encounter American sellers who overprice their shipping because they think they need to pay for services that they don't actually need, or a higher class of service than they actually need.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

In the past eBay considered what you described as fee avoidance.  However, since eBay decided to collect their cut on S&H as well as the selling price that no longer is relevant.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 10 of 15
latest reply

It works the same as make offer. I’ve used it before.
Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Don't like the price don't buy it's quite simple.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

When I sent him a message why the shipping was so high and even asking for the weight and dimensions of the box so I can check the shipping price....

Overpriced shipping or not, if a buyer asked me for this information they wouldn't get it.   I find it really offputting when a buyer asks for this kind of information.  JMO. 

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Ebay's terrible mishandling of the issue has resulted in this train wreck. Just as crazy as 299.00 is for shipping its just as crazy to charge 10% of shipping charges. Ebay then suggests give away shipping umm err why? If I get 9 out of every 10 dollars no I'm not. They then say it increases sales if not just about sales its about profit to not charge shipping means another area must lose percentage meaning the sale. Not every seller is a volume seller making say $3 per item. Most Ebay people make say 50-100 sales a year. I've done Ebay since 2001 having 900 transactions with feedback string that out over 17 years and its not much. Thus everytime I do a sale I have to figure in Ebay's cuts which is 10% on everything, then I have to figure in Paypal's cut which is roughly 3%. This means I have to look at what I want say 20-30% profit this means a lamp I bought for say 100 has to sell for a 130 profit after Ebay, Paypal and shipping, I look over all Ebay sales completed and come to a conclusion can I meet my mark, if the answer is no then I explore alternate Ebay options which we all know out there. This is the wildcard, Ebay is a boat anchor literally for heavy items a total waste of time. If Fed Ex and UPS are the heavy item shippers then Ebay is the small fries seller of items. More people see you item but more is taken. Your potential seller is an overreaction to this issue. The answer is make Ebay's infuence and weight less, treat them second class. Explore more options the other services like them, pawn shops etc. Yes pawn shops and resale shops stop getting this seedy interpretation of them. I've bought great stuff at these places, a pawn shop has a bad day, the item has been on the shelf too long, jewelry can be had sometimes cheap. Sales tax is only 7.5-8 percent and no shipping. Resale shops I've bought stereo equipment vinyl is huge today, old video gaming consoles. I head to goodwill and buy 8 dollar TV's and sell for 50. Ebay is great for what it does but its really for buyers and especially those with patience. Great for smalls as Frank on American Pickers says

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Pardon the pun but instead of Ebay providing waterflow to drain the swamp they jumped right in and make the profit themselves. Like you said their not the site they were 10-12 years ago 

Message 15 of 15
latest reply