cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excessive/abusive shipping cost on Vintage radio

Hello To All! My grievance is directed to seller that sells vintage/antique radios. Been a collector for over 30 years and also repair them. There are items that will not merit the shipping cost of $50.00, 70.00 or even $106.00 for tabletop radios, and some are small transistor radios!! I do understand some include the handling process and some double the boxes for transporting the item. But even that does not justify such practices. I am now inclined to buy those radios via other online sellers. eBay staff should and must monitored and implement true shipping cost. Even on YouTube collectors are complaining of such practices. Please eBay staff, look into it. Hope this message foes good to the true buyers of such items.

Joe- Orlando Florida

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Shipping rates can go up fast as box size increases.  Double boxing and bubble wrap can make a big package.  Shipping  has gotten very expensive and is a problem for sellers.  Also, some sellers have been billed a lot of money for packages they shipped and were found to be over size.

Today 50.00 is not a lot for shipping.   Check the rate tables.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

@simba6 wrote:

Shipping rates can go up fast as box size increases. .... 50.00 is not a lot for shipping.   Check the rate tables.

Exactly.  A 16-inch cube, shipped to Zone 8, would cost over $60 to ship to Zone 8 via Ground Advantage.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

It looks like most of your current listings are books or instruction manuals.  For books, you probably use media mail.  Sellers of other items measure and weigh, deal with distance being shipped and class of postage used.  

It's unlikely that anyone from "eBay staff" will see your message here.  They very rarely show up and, when they do, they are clearly identified.  

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Hi @jga2000 

Experienced buyers know that they must compare the TOTAL price of items (item price + s&h cost) before deciding whether or not to buy.

Sellers are free to put their profit into either (or both) their item OR handling price.  Buyers are free to buy from whoever prices items according to their own preferences.

And, as already mentioned ... shipping radios is pricier than most people realize.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

[Ran out of editing time.]

I just noticed that you posted about this issue almost exactly 4 years ago ... your only other post.  That's a very long time to be nursing a grievance.  Probably not good for your blood pressure.  🙂

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Shipping from the East Coast to the West, there is no cheap way. I measure and weigh carefully and the shipping carrier ALWAYS charges me extra for over size packages. I don't charge for handling. But the time it takes to double box, I could understand that some sellers would charge for handling.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply