cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Editing Weight And Dimensions Prior To Purchasing Label

Hello, if someone could help with this it would be greatly appreciated.  So, I have not been able to sell for about year or so.  My store was going well until I had to put it on hold.  Clearly, their have been some changes.  Today I shipped my first sale since returning and I noticed that when I went to purchase the label there was no way to edit the weight or dimensions of the package as their had been before.  As I remember I could even change the service.  But when I went to purchase the label there was no drop down box or anything.  Sometimes I don't no exactly which box an item will fit in and although I weigh items when photographing them I often need to do an edit on the weight or dimension depending on how much packing material is used and what box is used.  I don't want any complications but It seems that this way I would need to actually pack the item, weigh it and measure it before I do the listing.  Is there something I am missing or did I skip a step?  Thanks.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

" I don't want any complications but It seems that this way I would need to actually pack the item, weigh it and measure it before I do the listing."

You need to do that "When" you make the listing. Does not matter if you offer free shipping (you would still need to know the dimensions/weight to add shipping cost to item price) or calculated shipping. If you don't know the box size, you are playing a guessing game that can cost you if you have to pay more for the label than what you show in the listing. About the only time you don't need box size is if you are using, for example, USPS Flat Rate boxes. 

There were some changes to shipping cost in April of this year, if you don't add those cost into the shipping you show, then any extra cost has to be paid by you. USPS rate changes effective April 3, 2022 - The eBay Community

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

I feel like you may have missed it?  Every time I go to purchase a label I have the option of changing the weight and dimensions of the package.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

I'm sure as well that you can change the weight and dimensions before you purchase the label. But I'm basing that on what I've read from others as I don't use USPS labels.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Hi, 

I realize this is a reply to a post a few years ago. 
I just listed an antique doll, and added dimensions of box and weight in the listing. 

ebay stated shipping is $15-49. I can print a shipping label from eBay. However, I took the box to usps, they quoted over $200 for shipping to Seattle from Atlanta. I don’t know if I have a buyer from Seattle, but wanted to hear worst case scenario. 
I listed shipping info correctly, eBay gives lower price in listing. 

if I buy the shipping label from eBay, and drop if off at usps, will they charge me more?

or is there a steep discount for shipping when labels are bought from them?  

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@powerman151727 

What are the dimensions, and weight of the box?

Your listing does not have USPS as a shipping option.

Also to note:  UPS and FedEx are known to often add deliver surcharges (big 444 surcharges) not shown through eBay label purchasing.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

(big $$$ surcharges) not 444

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@powerman151727 wrote:

...  ebay stated shipping is $15-49. I can print a shipping label from eBay. However, I took the box to usps, they quoted over $200 for shipping to Seattle from Atlanta. ...if I buy the shipping label from eBay, and drop if off at usps, will they charge me more?

or is there a steep discount for shipping when labels are bought from them?  

eBay sellers gets excellent discounts when purchasing postage labels through eBay.  It's not uncommon for the eBay price to be 40% or even 50% lower than the retail price.  You can enter your package weight and dimensions here in eBay's shipping calculator to check.  

http://www.ebay.com/shp/Calculator

Note that USPS has surcharges that apply to package with a length over 22 inches and/or  a volume over 1 cubic foot (i.e., 1728 cubic inches) so you can save a lot if you can safely package your item in a box that's below one or both of those limits.  When you drop off your package at USPS, they do not verify your package details and they will not ask you to make up the difference between the online and retail postage prices.

Your doll listing currently offers UPS and FedEx services which look implausibly low, given the doll's size and necessary packaging. Both of those services are notorious for adding surcharges after you purchase your label. I would avoid them for this listing. 

If you want to block shipping to  Alaska and Hawaii (also Puerto RIco and US territories), you have to set up your site preferences to block them.  Just stating this in your listing description is not enforceable. But if you have set up calculated shipping correctly, then you can forget about blocking them and let your potential buyers be the judge of whether the shipping cost is excessive.  If you ship via USPS, then shipping to HI and AK costs the same as shipping to California.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Hi. 
21x14x10, 6 pounds 

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Hi again, usps seems to be way more expensive then FedEx. I just don’t know anymore. Very frustrating 

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@powerman151727 wrote:

Hi. 
21x14x10, 6 pounds 

I see no reason there why your Post Office would have quoted you $200 to ship that item with that info.

As it exceeded the "cubic foot" there is a higher charge, but $200 is well beyond what that charge would be.

The only thing that I can see is that you may have been quoted the Zone 9 pricing for Priority, or Priority Express. 

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

I’ve made accounts with FedEx and UPS. That seems to be cheaper, depending on their offers. Thank you so much. USPS actually quoted me $100+, I may have typed incorrectly. Thanks for all your help. 

Message 12 of 12
latest reply