cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay Standard Shipping Tracking not being input correctly, buyers using this to get refunds.

This is for research only, I sell 80% of my store as sports cards and use the ebay standard shipping which is $1.08 for cards under $20 which has been a great alternative to the PWE as it provide a tracking number, however not every person in the USPS inputs this to show it's been sent or delivered. This is a problem. Some cases show that the tracking has gone through the USPS Hub for shipping and ends up being marked delivered. Some cases show that it's only gone through the USPS Hub but delivered and I get feedback from the buyer about the card they received. Other cases don't show either and just ends up being delivered via the feedback, and then there is the ones that pass through the hub and just show in transit .. buyers then wait about 10 days or so after the estimated date and then ask for a refund. Not knowing if they got the card for real or not. When asked to have them file a claim with the USPS the tracking number provided does not show as valid with the USPS. I have checked this and this is true, however being a person that doesn't trust anyone because I just don't trust anyone, has this happened to others where they have shipped something and the tracking shows it in transit but not delivered. I know this ebay standard shipping is flawed, but when it's flawed and buyers are asking for refunds 10-15 days after the estimated dates, I find it could be a trend and they may not be getting the items for real, but a good percentage of me is saying they are getting the items and using this flaw to their advantage. I know I babbled a bit, but just searching for others who this may have happened to only. So I can bring it to ebays attention and perhaps tweak the Ebay Standrard shipping process. 

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Ebay Standard Shipping Tracking not being input correctly, buyers using this to get refunds.

@unclebookiesportscardsandcollectibles wrote:

When asked to have them file a claim with the USPS the tracking number provided does not show as valid with the USPS. 

I don't know if I followed all of that because walls of text with no line breaks are difficult to read, so hopefully I haven't missed anything significant.

• ESE is a metered mail service. These envelopes should be put in the metered mail slot at your PO. There are no traditional tracking scans and a clerk or carrier cannot manually hand scan. These envelopes are only scanned by way of the intelligent mail barcode being read as they pass through sorting machinery at USPS facilities. This also means the delivery scan may appear a day or two before actual delivery since it's scanned at the nearest sort hub and not at the buyer's PO.
  • You can get more detailed ESE tracking here: parcelsapp.com/en
  • Buyers generally should not be directed to file claims whether it's an ESE package or otherwise. If there's a lost or damaged package, the seller is the one responsible for safe delivery so the seller should be filing claims. That said, ESE doesn't qualify for traditional USPS inquiries like "missing mail" requests since it's not a tracked package.
  • ESE includes insurance. If buyers file non-receipt claims you as the seller can refund them then file the PIP insurance claim. https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/shipping-items/setting-shipping-options/ebay-standard-envelope?id=...
  • eBay is aware that ESE service has had some issues which tend to be concentrated in certain areas. The shipping team has sent out test ESE shipments on occasion to see where the system needs improvement and to work with the USPS on it.

Does that answer your questions @unclebookiesportscardsandcollectibles?

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Re: Ebay Standard Shipping Tracking not being input correctly, buyers using this to get refunds.

I'm not sure you actually understood what I wrote, and I can find that as quite possible and I rambled on, it's that I don't need help in filing a claim, I was looking for other sellers this has happened to so that I can garner the information to try to convince ebay to come up with another option where the tracking is better. I do feel as if you provided great information to me that others will see and use that for their own sales problems. 

I do appreciate your time and effort

Thank you

R~

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

The reliability of the eBay Standard Envelope shipping option... is both arbitrary and inconsistent. Sometimes it is scanned; and sometimes it isn't scanned.  Sometimes, even when it's not scanned... it's still delivered.  Other times, it's lost forever.  Completely unreliable.

One of eBay's flaws in developing the program is in advising sellers not to use envelopes that are "not too rigid" (whatever that means).  Unfortunately, this leaves the shipment to the mercy of an individual postal worker... and depending on whether they've been sufficiently trained.... or perhaps have an issue with eBay... the envelope can reach a dead-end before the journey even begins.  We've even had times when the carrier marked the item as "DELIVERED"... though the buyer immediately contacted us when it wasn't in their mailbox.  Neither USPS nor eBay could access additional information... but eBay did honor the guarantee and refunded the buyer; thereby protecting the seller from responsibility for the lost item.

Just this week we shipped via eBay Standard Envelope; a selection that has been successfully delivered many times with the exact same envelope shown below... but twice in the past year, a USPS employee has stamped the envelope as "RETURN TO SENDER"... or indicated that item was returned because that particular employee indicated the item was shipped as a parcel... rather than in an envelope.

In reality, there is no way to protect a valued trading card, postcard or postage stamp... without sealing it within the envelope with something that helps protect the piece from damage during shipment.  Nothing makes a card collector more disappointed than when they receive a damaged card.

Our envelope is 6"x8" with 1/8" thickness... well within the established guidelines.  Again, the lack of definition as to what constitutes "too rigid" leaves the decision up to an individual USPS employee... and that one person then overrules any reasonable precaution that buyers and sellers need in protecting the safe delivery of the item.

Our decision was to simply remove the yellow / stamped label... and re-send it with no other changes... via an alternate post office in our city.  It was then delivered to the buyer within 48 hours; and with no other USPS comments on the package.

For us, as we cannot subject customers to this kind of uncertainty.  Until eBay defines and clarifies their own policy, we have no protection with the USPS.  Bottom line:  the risk of damage within a bendable envelope... is just not worth the trouble.

This program has fantastic potential... especially in keeping costs low for our buyers.  However, the definition of "not too rigid" must be clarified before any seller can use the program with confidence.

IMG_2052b.JPGIMG_2051.JPG

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

The other option would be a First Class package with tracking. 

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

I use these very same envelopes for this type of shipping and have had this amongst other weird things the USPS said was wrong and returned to me,  or said I didn't pay enough.. 

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

I offer first class on more expensive cards, even then it seems though that some buyers try to get you to send via PWE cause they don't want to pay the shipping cost. .. it's a buyers world and would love to pay $90 dollars for that rookie auto they wanted, but the shipping is just to high for them ... but want that packed like you are sending glass. 

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@saturdaystoys 

The envelope which you have pictured in your example simply looks too rigid to be accepted as an eBay Standard Envelope, and would definitely be graded as a "First Class Package" at the post office where I ship my ESEs.

I just use a standard #6 plain white envelope, lined with two layers of the thin paperboard used for both cereal boxes and soda pop 12-packs.

No problems whatsoever in the last two years.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

At this point, I've abandoned the eBay Standard Envelope option for shipping.  I've removed that option from all my listings... and won't even try at this point.   If I want to sell a postcard... I'll just list it with free first-class shipping... fully protected between sleeves of sturdy cardboard and shipped in a 6"x8" or 9"x12 envelope.  While I liked the affordable pricing offered with ESE, there's just no way I can have a customer be disappointed with our use of a "bendable" envelope.  It makes no sense for collectible cards... and there's no excuse for taking risks with customer satisfaction.  I just consider it a "lesson learned."

Message 9 of 9
latest reply