cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay Standard Delivery Program

Has anyone experienced an issue with this service? we send the item, buyer claims they did not get it, they open a claim, you get hurt, you refund the money, buyer get the money and the item too. you have to stop listing items because all of this claims. tracking says nothing, buyer call ebay. on other cases item was sent months ago and buyer leave a positive feedback even do tracking dosent says it was delivered. tracking on other cases says delivered to a different zip code and 7 days later item was deliver. nothing against ebay, I love ebay but out there, a lots of buyers in my opinion are taking advantage of this issue. buyers that are Honest dont do it but lately there a lots of lost claim. what can we do? tell me your experience please. like I said, I love ebay but this program of shipping need to be revised. 

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Are you referring to the eBay International Shipping Program? 

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

eBay Standard Envelope (ESE) is a metered mail shipment so it does not receive traditional tracking scans and the clerk at the PO counter cannot scan it. Instead you should drop these envelopes in your PO's metered mail slot. The envelope will be scanned by sorting machinery at distribution centers along the way.

If you find the tracking on eBay to be lacking, you can track the ESUS number on this site:
https://parcelsapp.com/en

Common reasons ESE envelopes don't get scans include:
- Overpacking. Envelopes are too stiff. It's not recommended to use trading card top loaders or cardboard mailers.
- Placement of label. Label should be placed in the upper right corner with 1/8" clearance from edges. If it's placed too far from the corner the machinery won't scan it.

With ESE, a 'delivered' scan generally occurs at the last sort facility before it gets to the buyer, so typically the buyer will receive their order a day or two after the delivered scan.

If an item doesn't have a delivered scan and a buyer files a not received claim, you do have insurance coverage as long as there's at least one tracking scan, and the claims process is outlined on this page: 

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/shipping-items/setting-shipping-options/ebay-standard-envelope?id=...

@casimishop 

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

@casimishop 

If you are referring to the eBay Standard Envelope (ESE), you need to be aware of a few elementary things:

The ESE is NOT the same as USPS First Class Mail -- it is "metered" mail, and is treated slightly differently.  When you mail the ESE, it is very important that you physically drop the ESE in the "METERED MAIL" slot in the lobby of your post office.  Do NOT hand it to the USPS counter clerk, or your USPS delivery carrier, and do NOT drop the ESE in your own mailbox, or the USPS "blue" boxes.  All the latter options will only slow down the initial USPS "Acceptance" scan -- and that initial "Acceptance" scan is critical for purposes of making an insurance claim through eBay.

Secondly, the "Delivered" notification refers ONLY to the the delivery of the ESE to the post office matching the ZIP Code of the address of the buyer -- and NOT the buyer's residential address.  The actual delivery to the buyer may take an additional day or two -- and LONGER if the "Delivered" notification was made on a Friday, or just before a three-day USPS holiday weekend.  If you explain this situation to your impatient buyers, perhaps they'll be just a little more patient.

Good luck.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

thank you so much. very clear answer. 

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

thank you for your reply. I am talking about ebay standard shipping for trading cards. sorry for the error 

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

thank you so much for your reply. very helpful answer. 

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

I see the advice not to hand it to your carrier or drop it in the ordinary mail slot all the time, but I've never had a real issue with either. Sometimes (3 out of over a thousand) they come back marked "unmachineable" but I have had good luck just reprinting the same label (you don't get charged until after it scans) and sending it again. 

Cardboard mailers: On a couple occasions I have put cardboard mailers in the envelope, I find that if I rub them over the edge of the counter first to make them flexible they do work.

Coins, I put in a baggie (already in a 2x2) staple to the packaging slip and make sure they are positioned on the far side of the envelope from the postage. I've done up to 3 coins in an envelope, positioned side by side (no overlapping) without problems, flexibility is the key. The envelop must be able to wrap around a 10" drum.

Cards ship in a penny sleeve, wrapped in a packing slip.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Meter Mail.jpeg

Not all post offices are created equal.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

I dont think a standard envelope was ever designed to be used to ship merchandise.  It doesnt have the care or properties in place to protect the item both physically or in accountability.   If shipping  product, put it in a box or at least a shipping mailer .  And when it comes to  box, one large enough to carry the label and not  fit into someones pocket....just my thoughts.

Btw, do we even have selling protection if shipping products in a standard envelope?

Message 10 of 10
latest reply