cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does "Refund Buyer" on a return that is not SNAD auto refund entire amount

Does "refund buyer" on a non-SNAD return refund entire amount or does it give option to deduct original shipping?  I have not done a refund in quite a while and could not find a current question of this nature.   I don't want to click on "refund buyer" for fear it will refund when I have not received item back in original condition yet.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Does "Refund Buyer" on a return that is not SNAD auto refund entire amount

@stumblebumble wrote:

Does "refund buyer" on a non-SNAD return refund entire amount or does it give option to deduct original shipping?  I have not done a refund in quite a while and could not find a current question of this nature.   I don't want to click on "refund buyer" for fear it will refund when I have not received item back in original condition yet.

You need to only accept the refund and then it gives you the option to send a return label. Once you receive the item back is when you refund. If you refund now it will refund completely. This is eBay's way to make it easier for the buyer. Best of luck to you....

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

@stumblebumble 

If the return falls under buyer's remorse...doesn't like it, change their mind...etc...then the return shipping to you should be paid by the buyer.  Now I do believe that you have to refund the entire amount of the purchase including the shipping charges paid by the buyer:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/handle-return-request-seller?id=4115&st=3...

Screenshot_2021-03-09 How to handle a return request as a seller.png

You are correct in waiting for the item to be in your possession before you issue a refund.

Good luck.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

@stumblebumble wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think @lamber9347  and @hurryagain have misunderstood your OP. From what I am understanding from the OP, is that they DO have the option to deduct original shipping and a percentage of the item cost, correct? I'm assuming this by the context in that post. If not, first you have to make sure you have that option.

Also when the OP says "I don't want to click on "refund buyer" for fear it will refund when I have not received item back in original condition yet." I believe that he/she already has the item returned in-hand... because it says "when I have not received item back..." and not "if". Again, correct me if I'm wrong.

To the OP: If what I'm saying is correct, then my answer is once you click on "refund buyer", it will take you to a page that gives you the breakdown of what amount you actually want to refund. I for one have that option so I know if a buyer returns an item to me (remorse non-SNAD), the default choice for the return amount is the item price MINUS the shipping I charged the buyer. That is just the default choice... I can uncheck the "deduct shipping" box if I want to. Then it will be a full refund. If the item was damaged, I can fill in the box to deduct an amount from the item price as well as in the shipping. This amount can be denoted numerically or by percentage. You also will be required to fill out your "deduction reason". Four boxes to choose from, opened, damaged, used, or missing parts.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@bigdeals.etc Yeah, I totally don't read it the way you do, but OP can clarify when they come back to this thread. I don't believe OP has the item in hand yet because they said "yet". We could all be off, lol. Well I am off but that's another thread....

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

You have to refund the entire amount. Contact ebay and ask about this, you won't find someone who speaks enough english to even understand your question. Better to just refund the entire amount.

The worst defect is "case closed without seller resolution" and that is what happens if you don't refund the entire amount. 

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Yes, you are correct in understanding my post bigdeals.etc as I didn't want to click on that "refund buyer" for fear it might just do it automatically without leading me to a second page to view transaction or correct the shipping.  ebay just has it all tied up, don't they.  It's the scambay way.   I am not concerned of feedback, if there is a negative FB, so be it.  I can factually state a reply.   Looks like item is on its way back to me.  This buyer was a problem from the get-go.  Sent message wanting a price reduction and lower shipping.  My reply was "When there is no Best Offer in a listing, the seller is not entertaining offers.   Thank you for your interest".   Second message within seconds from buyer "what is your best price and shipping" to which I reply, "the price is as listed with calculated shipping to your zip code.  Thank you for your interest".   This was a $15 item and not a profit maker.    Then I immediately see a red number next to the Bell on the upper right of my page when I was actually on my way to the "block buyer" page.  I didn't get there quickly enough.  It was already paid.  IMO this buyer has done this to many sellers and gotten away with it.  Why should I pick up the return shipping for a buyer who expects entitlement when buyer couldn't read the size information in two places in the listing.  IMO, if a buyer cannot afford the price, they should not be shopping at all.  I am not dependent on eBay for living expenses and I am grateful for that.  It is just a couple tanks of gas in a month.   

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@brwil85 wrote:

You have to refund the entire amount. Contact ebay and ask about this, you won't find someone who speaks enough english to even understand your question. Better to just refund the entire amount.

The worst defect is "case closed without seller resolution" and that is what happens if you don't refund the entire amount. 

That's not correct.  If the return is for buyers remorse and if the buyer was charged for shipping vs having 'free' shipping, the seller can withhold the original shipping amount when refunding.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@stumblebumbleOkay. I understand your issue fully now. Too bad about your buyer... and I've been in your situation too my friend. Seems like you are doing the correct thing. But I have to remind you, MAKE SURE you know you have the ability to issue a "less than full refund" to a buyer before doing this. I forget what is the seller requirement for ebay to allow you to do this... I think it's offer free returns (possibly and) 30 day return policy? Anyway, if you have that ability you are good to go. FYI, once you issue the refund any negative or neutral feedback the buyer leaves should eventually be removed. I hear this from many CS agents that when you have free returns and successfully process them, you have feedback protection. And as you said, if not, you can leave a good reply.

One last thing, in regards to the return shipping cost that you paid. You can report the buyer for a false SNAD if it comes to that. There was a Seller Update policy in regards to abusive buyers that protected sellers from a SNAD ding as well as return shipping cost up to $6. Mention that in the comments when reporting the buyer and I HEAR that ebay should read that and credit you back for the return shipping eventually. I don't know when or how often they'll do this, but I've randomly seen in my statements that I've been credited before. I never check these once I file a request for that protection. Good luck.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply