cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does eBay Labels provide tracking for all USPS options?

There is a huge savings between using USPS First Class Large Envelope ($.98) and USPS First Class Package ($2.61) for a 2 ounce item that fits in a very small 4x8 envelope. I am looking everywhere on eBay's pages and they say, "tracking will automatically be sent to your customers" but it doesn't say if specific services don't have tracking available. I would obviously like to use the Large Envelope method.

Can anybody help with this? I would like to keep my Top Rated Status since I believe it plays a huge part in my sales but it requires tracking information to be uploaded.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Tracking is included with all eBay postage labels, because USPS automatically  includes tracking for free on all packages and eBay only prints labels for packages.   You cannot purchase a label for USPS First Class letters or flats (AKA Large envelopes) through eBay.

USPS categories of letters, flats, and packages have strict definitions and do not overlap.  Your piece is either a letter, flat, or pckage; it can't be more than one.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

A flat aka large envelope cannot be rigid or contain any rigid item. It must be flexible and of uniform thickness and less than 3/4 inch thick. It also has minimum dimensions. The width must be at least 6-1/8 inches OR the length must be at least 11-1/2 inches. A 4x8 envelope meets neither of these criteria. The width is the short side; the length is the long side.

Flats are intended for mailing documents, although they are useful for mailing thin magazines, catalogs or directories. Flats can be rolled, creased, bent, folded and otherwise mangled. Do you want your merchandise to be damaged?

USPS does not provide tracking for flats aka large envelopes, letters or non-machinable letters. You might wish to create a separate eBay account for selling items without tracking -- with no hope of attaining TRS+ status.

~~C~~
My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

duchess-at-speakeasy wrote: ... The width must be at least 6-1/8 inches OR the length must be at least 11-1/2 inches. A 4x8 envelope meets neither of these criteria. The width is the short side; the length is the long side....

The piece must be too large or too heavy to be mailed as a letter.  All 3 dimensions count regarding envelope size, so thickness over 1/4 inch would be a flat, too.

Screen Shot 2017-11-11 at 5.33.26 PM.png

https://pe.usps.com/DMM300

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Yes, a flat can be up to 3/4 inch thick. However, a flat can weigh less than 1 oz. For example, a 9x12 envelope containing a sheet of 8.5x11 paper probably weighs about an ounce -- but it is a flat because of the length and width.

You can see diagrams of the min-max requirements at the end of Notice 123:

https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/Notice123.htm

Click the Quick References link.

~~C~~
My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

I was trying to point out that a 4x8 envelope could be a flat if it was over 1/4 inch thick.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply