cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customer charged same flat fee shipping for eight items?

Okay, so I am missing something surely here. 

I do combine shipping, but I would not have guessed that eBay would automatically charge only one fee for eight items. 

The flat shipping cost was $5. It's going to cost about $5 to ship one. I would have gladly combined shipping but at this rate I will be quite a bit in the hole. 

The customer ordered eight and was only charged $5 in shipping. What setting is wrong? 

Thank you in advance

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Customer charged same flat fee shipping for eight items?

The bath bomb? Because the listing is sold out we can't do live testing on shipping, but most likely you have it set to charge $5 flat with $0 for each additional item rather than charging a fee for each additional or a combined rate.

I don't think you'll be as far in the hole as you think. What is the box size you'll be using? Those things aren't that big, so you may qualify for an inexpensive cubic rate.

Put box dimensions and weight into the eBay shipping calculator, along with your zip & buyer's zip to see what the rate will be: https://www.ebay.com/shp/Calculator

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

The bath bomb? Because the listing is sold out we can't do live testing on shipping, but most likely you have it set to charge $5 flat with $0 for each additional item rather than charging a fee for each additional or a combined rate.

I don't think you'll be as far in the hole as you think. What is the box size you'll be using? Those things aren't that big, so you may qualify for an inexpensive cubic rate.

Put box dimensions and weight into the eBay shipping calculator, along with your zip & buyer's zip to see what the rate will be: https://www.ebay.com/shp/Calculator

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Thanks for your reply. I will have to go find that setting it was definitely my fault. Might not be out that much you're right. But I will have to update some more listings. 

Thanks

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

I have been editing my multi quantity listings.

This is an error I am getting. Why? At first I thought it was free local pickup, but I changed everything to have overrides in the listing and nothing changed this error.
override.jpg

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

That particular listing has a very odd shipping set up:

$4 first item, second item free with Media Mail

$1 local pickup, second item free with local pickup

I guess my questions are:

Why offer local pickup in the first place?

Why charge $1 for local pickup? It's usually free. I didn't even realize one could add a ship charge for local pickup.

The error message seems to indicate you're using a shipping policy and attempting to override the policy instead of edit the policy. The override is producing an error because you're trying to change the rule on one service but not the other.

Go to your shipping policies page here: https://www.bizpolicy.ebay.com/businesspolicy/manage

Edit the policy in question from that page rather than trying to do a custom override on the listing. Consider removing local pickup. Slim chance you'll find someone that wants to pick up, and if they do they can always ask before they buy and you can add the option back.

GLORIOUS!

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Whoa.. lol. .You are seeing my attempt to fix, not the way it was set up. I had it free for local pickup, and why shouldn't I have local pickup? The $1 add was to see if I could make that error go away. I am going to take the $1 back off.

I know how to edit my business policies, and yes I was indeed trying to override at the listing level. This error was before and after the local change. I added the $1 after the error started occurring.
So, the answer is: I can't have local pickup on a multiple item  and have some shipping adjustment for people who want multiples. Correct?

Edited to add: That reply was being snarky. I apologize. I was not. I am a very cut & dry, straight to the point person.. lol.. It wasn't meant to be snarky at all. 🙂

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@spendingcents26150 wrote:

why shouldn't I have local pickup?

You certainly can if you want. I've seen issues where buyers see free local pickup and confuse it with free shipping, then sellers have to cancel orders when the buyers demand it shipped free and/or refuse to pick up. Basically - on common items - I've seen it create a lot of issues. I've had the same problem on items I listed as local pickup only, even when the first words of the listing title were local pickup only. haha

Was attempting to save you headaches in that area.

@spendingcents26150 wrote:

So, the answer is: I can't have local pickup on a multiple item  and have some shipping adjustment for people who want multiples. Correct?

I don't know and I don't see why it would. My thinking earlier was it was the single listing "override" of the biz policy that could be causing the problem.

I'd have to do a bunch of messing around with my biz policies to try and duplicate your issue and I really don't want to mess with shipping on my listings right now.

But I'll say this: if you remove local pickup and it solves the issue, then perhaps consider using a separate policy for listings where you have multiples that doesn't have local pickup. Also try what I suggested upthread which is to edit the biz policy itself and not override it at the listing level.

If that does not solve the problem then come back for more assistance.

Edit: If you do need more assistance, post a screenshot of the biz policy you're using so we can see the settings.

GLORIOUS!

Message 7 of 7
latest reply