cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can the seller lie about shipping an order?

I contacted the seller to double check if the item is available before buying it.

it’s been already 4 days and my order has still not shipped to USPS , only the tracking number and shipping label was provided. There is no progress of my order shipment.

CAN the sellers pretend to ship out an order because it was actually not available anymore?

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@acevio_u.s Why would a seller bother to lie about shipping your item? You have purchased an item on a platform that offers a money back guarantee, so you have nothing to worry about. Just follow the procedures for an item not received case once the estimated date of delivery has passed. Go to your purchase history and select the item. Mark it as item not received and follow the prompts. Either the seller will then ship your item or you will eventually receive a full refund. You will not be out any money here but you still need to wait more time as USPS is very slow now. Best of luck to you....

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Hi @acevio_u.s 

Sellers are required to ship within 30 days.  eBay no longer shows the seller's 'handling time' in listings ... so we need to look at the Estimated Delivery Dates (EDD).

USPS doesn't scan packages as reliably as UPS or FedEx.  Your package may well be on its way to you.  You simply can't tell by tracking.

There's no reason for a seller to 'pretend' to ship by creating a shipping label ... since they are charged for the label as soon as its created.  It's risky for anyone to ship an item after the date on the label ... as USPS rules are that packages should be shipped within 24 hours of the date.

What's the EDD for the item?  You can file an 'item not received' case soon after the EDD has passed.  [I would wait several days, however, because shipping has been taking longer than usual ever since the pandemic started.]

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

If they're stupid and want to pay for a shipping label to trick you they could but I doubt they would do that. They need to prove to eBay it was delivered.  That's the only scan you need to look for.  Some post offices won't scan prepaid labels when the package is dropped off.  

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

@acevio_u.s 

It's only been 2 business days.

If they have a 3 to 5 day handling time, they still have time to get it shipped.

Have a great day.
Message 4 of 15
latest reply

@acevio_u.s Why would a seller bother to lie about shipping your item? You have purchased an item on a platform that offers a money back guarantee, so you have nothing to worry about. Just follow the procedures for an item not received case once the estimated date of delivery has passed. Go to your purchase history and select the item. Mark it as item not received and follow the prompts. Either the seller will then ship your item or you will eventually receive a full refund. You will not be out any money here but you still need to wait more time as USPS is very slow now. Best of luck to you....

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

sellers holding onto items after making a shipping label is just a myth

impatient buyers are not a myth. some of them get hung up on tracking instead of the delivery date

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 6 of 15
latest reply

You are correct, BUT I paid for the shipping 🤏

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Yes, you did pay shipping.  That doesn't  let you dictate any aspect of shipping.

The seller lets eBay know their handling time and method.  eBay selects the delivery date. The seller has no control of the delivery date eBay gives the buyer.

When they're ready to ship most  sellers make the label on eBay which automatically gives the buyer a tracking number but some don't use eBay labels. The others may or may not upload tracking or let them know when it been shipped. It's not mandatory. Start looking for the package on the delivery date. 

I would relax now because you have money back guarantee if you don't receive it.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

I MAKE SURE SELLERS THAT DON'T PROMPLY SHIP GET VERY NEGATIVE REVIEWS. VERY NEGATIVE. the problem is with eBay not being forthcoming and defining between 'label created' and being 'shipped'. EBAY is the worse platform to buy from when it comes to customer service because they are just overlooking a bunch of sellers who can lie about many things there...

unlike AMAZON

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

@acevio_u.s wrote:

I contacted the seller to double check if the item is available before buying it.

it’s been already 4 days and my order has still not shipped to USPS , only the tracking number and shipping label was provided. There is no progress of my order shipment.

CAN the sellers pretend to ship out an order because it was actually not available anymore?

Can?

They CAN do anything they want or can think of.

Do you mean allowed?

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

What was the last estimated delivery date as seen in the listing when you made your purchase?

If that date has not yet passed, there is nothing you can do.

If, however, it has passed by at least one day, you can open an item not received case.

Please take the time to read eBay's Money Back Guarantee for buyers.  

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Yes, we understand that you did pay for shipping.  

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

@kensgiftshop wrote:

@acevio_u.s 

It's only been 2 business days.

If they have a 3 to 5 day handling time, they still have time to get it shipped.

I admit I'm biased in this issue as I've recently had a few similar run ins being the seller and understand impatient buyer syndrome to be a more popular thing now. I urge the buyer to literally check when they purchased the item. I sometimes get buyers messaging me impatiently about their items oftentimes rounding up their time durations. I hear 10 days, when I checked and it was actually 5 business days and well within ebay ETA. Or complaints that package is taking 2 weeks already when it really is 8 calendar days. My most recent one was someone messaging me on Monday impatiently saying it's been 4 days when they purchased on 3am Friday morning, which actually makes it only 1 business day later. So I could be wrong in assuming this, but yea, double check your exact purchase time and don't round up to exaggerate the time durations.

Lastly I'll say I got flack from a buyer recently who "caught me" creating the shipping label "early morning", but had the nerve to wait until "mid morning" to ship it. Oooooooooh. Guess they don't understand what time USPS starts work or when packages can be scanned in.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

You are incorrect. The seller is at fault because he could be shipping the item from china. That’s what happened to me. I thought I was going to get it 2 weeks faster but a little more expensive buying from him than buying the same thing from AliExpress/China…but yeah I’m paying more for some person who lied about shipping times

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply