cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use my ebay ID on the postage stamp or does it have to be my real name?

My address is real obviously, but I don't want to use my real name on all packages. It seems better, more professional to use my ebay id. 

What do you all think? 

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

How do you get paid?  Does your bank accept payments deposited to your account that are made out to your ebay ID as the payee?

Ordinarily, I would suggest using your registered business address as your return address.  This may not be your eBay ID unless that is how you are listed on your business license.  Of course, you will also have to make sure that USPS can and will deliver mail to your address.  The post office may want you to list that person or entity as an authorized mail recipient at that address. 

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

I get paid through paypal.

I think you misunderstood my question. I meant using ebay id on just the shipping labels.

I did use my real name when I registered as a user on ebay, in paypal, etc..
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

@ezrlevan0 wrote:

I think you misunderstood my question. I meant using ebay id on just the shipping labels.

Yes you can use your ebay ID. But if the package is returned to you for some reason, the name could be an issue. The PO may or may not deliver it to your address since your name isn't on it. Don't know how likely that is to happen but it could happen.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

USPS and other carriers require that the return name and address on packages be "real." In other words, identifiable as a person (name on mailbox) or company. Besides, you can't file a change of address for a made-up eBay user ID that can be changed at will every 30 days!

As a buyer, I would NOT want to receive packages from a "mystery" fake name! I want to be able to identify a real person or a real company as the sender -- and not risk opening something from a criminal hiding behind a phony, ficticious name! Remember the Unibomber? Remember the anthrax scare?

~~C~~
My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

@duchess-at-speakeasy wrote:
USPS and other carriers require that the return name and address on packages be "real." In other words, identifiable as a person (name on mailbox) or company. Besides, you can't file a change of address for a made-up eBay user ID that can be changed at will every 30 days!

As a buyer, I would NOT want to receive packages from a "mystery" fake name! I want to be able to identify a real person or a real company as the sender -- and not risk opening something from a criminal hiding behind a phony, ficticious name! Remember the Unibomber? Remember the anthrax scare?

~~C~~

In other words, yes you can use your ebay ID as your name. It would be considered your business name. Consider using "ebay seller (your ID here). Or ebay store (your store name here). Perfect fine and within carrier rules.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

@missjen316 wrote:

@ezrlevan0 wrote:

Yes you can use your ebay ID. But if the package is returned to you for some reason, the name could be an issue. The PO may or may not deliver it to your address since your name isn't on it. Don't know how likely that is to happen but it could happen.

It's happened to me on this KayKeeCorp ID. Everything was returned fine. 

I do get other mail to this address with my user name as name and the PO may just be used to it though.

KayKeeCorp
Grand Ultimate Supreme
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

As long as the street address or the PO Box number is correct, it doesn't matter what name you put on the return address. 

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

@myboardid wrote:

As long as the street address or the PO Box number is correct, it doesn't matter what name you put on the return address. 

That would depend upon whether or not the item got returned for some reason.  The USPS does not have to deliver something unless the intended recipient is authorized to receive mail at that address.  This can be a problem with regard to PO Boxes and items that are too big for the box.  Usually it isn't a problem if the item fits inside the box and you have a key, however, if the item has to be picked up at the counter, make sure that whoever picks up the mail is on the list of authorized people to do so.  Of course, that would apply to any business PO Box.

Another issue that may require attention is if the state requires the registration of fictitious names.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@ezrlevan0 wrote:

Actually, I believe it is you that might have misunderstood my reply.  You need to be registered with PayPal under your real name or your business name.  If your eBay user name is the legal name of your business, that would be fine, but if the name of your business is something else it could cause problems with your bank.  After all, how do they credit an account with a payment to someone entity that doesn't legally exist?

Of course, I'm assuming that you're operating a legal business and not an unlicensed one.

There probably isn't going to be much of a problem using your eBay ID as part of your return address unless the USPS doesn't recognize it if something gets returned.  You might want to let your mailman know that mail to that name gets delivered there.

I'm not quite sure I understand your point about not wanting your name to appear as part of the return address.  The buyer is already going to have that information from the PayPal transaction details.

There are also things that you may want to check into regarding licensing and fictitious name statutes in your state.  Some states require the license holder have their legal name and physical address on file with that information being a part of the public record.  So I'm not sure just how much keeping it off the shipping label as the return address is going to help anything.  Frankly, it would make more sense to me to rent a PO Box for the business and use that with the business name so that you would have a separate home and business mailing address.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

I'm a mail carrier. 

Yes, you can use your ID on a return address. I don't, I just use my name, but then again I have several ID's.

Another poster brought up forwarding. Yes, if you move you must put in a separate forwarding address for that ID.  This may cause issues as your ID isn't really business sounding and may be considered a mistake. Something like (one of my customers) RS Nets would 'read' as a business name where most of the ID's that replied, including my own may have issues being taken as a real name. 

Frankly, it is something that most of us never considered when setting up to sell here, LOL I usually just poke around till the system stops sending 'ID already in use' messages. 

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@7606dennis wrote:

@ezrlevan0 wrote:

Actually, I believe it is you that might have misunderstood my reply.  You need to be registered with PayPal under your real name or your business name.  If your eBay user name is the legal name of your business, that would be fine, but if the name of your business is something else it could cause problems with your bank.  After all, how do they credit an account with a payment to someone entity that doesn't legally exist?

Of course, I'm assuming that you're operating a legal business and not an unlicensed one.

There probably isn't going to be much of a problem using your eBay ID as part of your return address unless the USPS doesn't recognize it if something gets returned.  You might want to let your mailman know that mail to that name gets delivered there.

I'm not quite sure I understand your point about not wanting your name to appear as part of the return address.  The buyer is already going to have that information from the PayPal transaction details.

There are also things that you may want to check into regarding licensing and fictitious name statutes in your state.  Some states require the license holder have their legal name and physical address on file with that information being a part of the public record.  So I'm not sure just how much keeping it off the shipping label as the return address is going to help anything.  Frankly, it would make more sense to me to rent a PO Box for the business and use that with the business name so that you would have a separate home and business mailing address.

Ops PayPal account has nothing to do with this. He is simply asking about the name on his return address. I don't recall him saying anything about PayPal or using PayPal to buy his labels. And fictitious names?? Nonsense! He's talking about using his eBay user ID, a screen name. None of those laws to apply to the name you use on your mail. And PayPal accounts can be registered under a business name but again OP doesn't need to do that. Not necessary. 

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

@missjen316 wrote:

@7606dennis wrote:

@ezrlevan0 wrote:

Ops PayPal account has nothing to do with this. He is simply asking about the name on his return address. I don't recall him saying anything about PayPal or using PayPal to buy his labels. And fictitious names?? Nonsense! He's talking about using his eBay user ID, a screen name. None of those laws to apply to the name you use on your mail. And PayPal accounts can be registered under a business name but again OP doesn't need to do that. Not necessary. 

Actually, he did mention his PayPal account in his reply to my first post in the thread.

I disagree that state laws such as fictitious name statutes are nonsense. Just as the licensing requirements for businesses by states and local governmental agencies are not nonsense either.  Whether the OP needs to concern himself with such things is a matter that he needs to check into with his state and local agencies.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply