cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I choose myself as carrier if I hand deliver an item?

I sell scientific lab equipment. My buyers are always businesses or universities. If a buyer is in my area (San Francisco Bay Area) I will often hand deliver the item. Before, when I did this, I would cancel the original order and change the shipping to "Local Pickup". Then I would deliver it and get the pickup code from the buyer.

However, with "Local Pickup" I don't my 10% TRS discount. Also, I have to cancel the order and then have the buyer purchase again. This is a hassle for me and especially for my customers. So, I thought I would just put my business name under "Carrier" and enter my own tracking number. Is there any reason this would be a problem?

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Can I choose myself as carrier if I hand deliver an item?

If you set up the listing as local pick up and it is delivered locally why do you need to keep canceling the order and relisting? It makes no sense to me. You’re just giving yourself more work than necessary. Plus taking the chance of losing a sale when you cancel.IMO 

ETA..If you can also ship the item you can include both local pickup and what ever your shipper is as well. This would eliminate the need to continue to cancel. 

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

I believe that eBay has limited carriers that they recognize the tracking of.  Not likely that they would recognize your company.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Delivery is a special service that I offer when a local buyer needs an item quickly and requests it. I don't allow anyone to do a local pickup. I only change a listing to local pickup for these deliveries because Ebay doesn't have a setting for "local delivery".

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

I have shipped with other carriers, that are not on Ebay's list of carriers. In these cases, Ebay advised me to just type in the name of the carrier. So, you don't have to just pick carriers from Ebay's list.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

@ziggylab  seems you have all the answers / responses - why not then do what you say and type in your name.

Local pickup would still allow you to drive it over OR to have they person who buys to pick up. Just because you drive it to one local deliver doesnt mean you have to for everyone.

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 6 of 15
latest reply

OK, thanks for the education. Never knew that would work.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

There are two reasons not to do this. The first is that I want to follow the "official" way to do a self delivery. Which, honestly, Ebay doesn't seem to have. But, they generally recommend choosing "Local Pickup" (since Ebay reps are well known to give different answers at different times to the same question).

And, I have already stated why I don't want to choose "Local Pickup". Because I lose my TRS discount. For the latest shipment this is about $45.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

You don't lose TRS discount if the QR code is used for local pick up, it shows delivery to your buyer when the item is delivered within your handling time.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

@ziggylab wrote:

I have shipped with other carriers, that are not on Ebay's list of carriers. In these cases, Ebay advised me to just type in the name of the carrier. So, you don't have to just pick carriers from Ebay's list.

You can add a different carrier, but if it's one they can't track, you would loose an INR case.

Have a great day.
Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Wow can you imagine the amount of scammers imputing their own tracking information for delivered status.

Depending on the smartness of a scammer.....

Buyers would be screwed.

OR

Sellers would be screwed when buyers file item not received claims.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 11 of 15
latest reply

No, you definitely lose the TRS discount on local pickup. I've done several that have not gotten a discount and I've gotten repeated confirmation from Ebay reps about this.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

The TRS+ discount is not in play with local pickup (or delivery).

If you enter your own delivery service - one not on eBay's list - then you will lose if the buyer files an item not received claim or a credit card chargeback.

While you may manage a work around for what you're trying to accomplish, you're throwing out all seller protections and in the end could lose a lot more than what the TRS+ discount would offer. If that risk is worth it to you, then it sounds like you already know the system's capabilities and limitations and can make an informed choice.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Why don't you just leave it as local pickup  and get the QR code for that when you deliver it? 

It's basically the same thing as a buyer pickup except YOU dropped it off.

I think you're overcomplicating this no end.

"pickup" is basically just a way of doing an in person hand off.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 14 of 15
latest reply

I didn't know about any of this and just recently hand-delivered an item to a buyer.

I marked the order as shipped, and delivered the item personally.

Is there a way for the buyer to notify ebay that the item was delivered?

Or, will I be paid automatically when the buyer does not file an INR claim?

Message 15 of 15
latest reply