cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calculated shipping via Freight? Is that an option?

I am listing a network switch that I want to go on a pallet via SAIA or another freight carrier. I use one of my suppliers who has a dock to do the shipping. Probably will weigh over 100 lbs. with the pallet. Bubble wrapped and a box over the bubble wrapped switch would measure about 28" x 22" x 20". Probably a ~$2000.00 price on the listing for the item itself.  

I see the selection for "Freight: large items over 150lbs"

If I select this option, does the buyer have to contact me to get the price on the shipping before buying?

Some buyers have this stuff delivered to their house which is residential and probably a lift gate fee.

I see other sellers using $250.00 flat rate freight for the same item. Some have $150.00 Flat rate shipping.

What is the best way to handle the shipping in the listing?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Calculated shipping via Freight? Is that an option?

It looks like you already posted your listing with flat rate freight. SAIA is one of the integrated freight carriers so it appears you're all set?

Since the listing is live it would be easy to switch to calculated to see how it shows - I'm pretty sure it will say to contact seller for ship cost.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

@wastingtime101 

I just threw it out there as "Flat Rate Freight" at $250.00. There is not a calculated option for freight that I can find.

So, when I put it out there as  "Freight: large items over 150lbs" I get what you see below.  I did this on a "test" listing. 

I suppose this keeps the buyer from paying until I provide a price for shipping?

Shipping and handling

Item location:
Terrell, Texas, United States
Services available:
Freight - Check the item description or Contact the seller for details
Ships to: 
United States
Excludes: 
Africa, Asia, Barbados, Bermuda, Canada, Central America and Caribbean, Europe, French Guiana, French Polynesia, Greenland, Guadeloupe, Libya, Martinique, Mexico, Middle East, New Caledonia, Oceania, Reunion, Russian Federation, Saint Pierre and Miquelon, South America, Southeast Asia, Ukraine, Venezuela

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Yep, that's jogging my memory from the one time I worked on setting up a freight listing. You choose flat rate and above a certain weight it requires contacting the seller. Thanks for checking/confirming.

Your listing is set up how it needs to be then - just make sure that $250 is a good amount to cover any unexpected additions to the cost like residential delivery, problems with delivery or address, etc.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

Yep, that's jogging my memory from the one time I worked on setting up a freight listing. You choose flat rate and above a certain weight it requires contacting the seller. Thanks for checking/confirming.

Your listing is set up how it needs to be then - just make sure that $250 is a good amount to cover any unexpected additions to the cost like residential delivery, problems with delivery or address, etc.

@wastingtime101 

That is the deal. It would not cover from TX to CT and then throw in a residential with lift gate. And I think Flat Rate is just what it is, Flat Rate, no matter what. 

That is why I might change it to Freight: large items over 150lbs.  I am thinking they can't even pay for the purchase until I provide a shipping cost after I find out if it is going to business with a dock or forklift. Or residential that needs a bobtail with a lift gate.

Just don't know for sure and damned if I am contacting eBay with that type of question, lol.  I will sit tight here until a guru wonders thru and might provide some more intel at some point. 

That $250 would get it to most places, shipping from the DFW area. If I had to eat a $100, well, so be it. The $250 is competitive with other sellers. 

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@calntom wrote:

That is why I might change it to Freight: large items over 150lbs.  I am thinking they can't even pay for the purchase until I provide a shipping cost after I find out if it is going to business with a dock or forklift. Or residential that needs a bobtail with a lift gate.

Yes, that's correct. The buyer cannot pay until you send an invoice with a specified rate.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

@calntom wrote:

Yes, that's correct. The buyer cannot pay until you send an invoice with a specified rate.

Cool deal, thanks. That should work. I changed the listing to Freight: large items over 150lbs and entered some verbiage in the item description. 

Wondering if any sellers ship only to buyers with a dock?

Message 7 of 7
latest reply