cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer says I misrepresented item

So I sold a Philips Iris light, the iris is not a stand alone item nor has it ever been. You have to buy a bridge to use it. Well I sold a iris light and seller is now say I misrepresented it. He should of researched it before he bought it in my opinion. Well he emailed me last night and with in a hour had opened a claim against me.  I have reponded to the buyer with no response.  Anyone ever dealt with this?  I don't feel I should have marks against me for someone not looking into how a product works.  Of course within 20 minutes of the claim being filed ebay sided with them. 

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

OK, remain calm, do not panic ! sunglasses

The WAY you handle this going forward will determine if you get a "bad mark" on your selling account.  Follow the eBay policies a& procedures ( and time limits) and you will not get an account defect.  Oh and don't get into a back & forth debate with the buyer through email, it will only hurt you if eBay reviews emails.

It is unfortunate that the buyer did not understand what he/she was buying!  I do not know what you are talking about so perhaps I could have made the same mistake.  But hey, uneducated buyers are often found.  Sigh.

I know it is a shock to have to deal with a return, but returns (right or wrong) are all part of retail selling!  Issue the return label and give a full refund when it comes back.  Defects come when you 'fight the system."

THEN set aside a small part of the profit from each sale as a "reserve" or self insurance fund.  That way when returns happen, you'll have the money on hand to pay for the return shipping.

I know idiot buyers can be frustrating but don't let them get you down!

Good luck!

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

@mita2274 wrote:

So I sold a Philips Iris light, the iris is not a stand alone item nor has it ever been. You have to buy a bridge to use it. Well I sold a iris light and seller is now say I misrepresented it. He should of researched it before he bought it in my opinion. Well he emailed me last night and with in a hour had opened a claim against me.  I have reponded to the buyer with no response.  Anyone ever dealt with this?  I don't feel I should have marks against me for someone not looking into how a product works.  Of course within 20 minutes of the claim being filed ebay sided with them. 

I don't know what kind of light that is, but there is nothing in your listing stating, buyer has to have a bridge to use it.

Since buyer has filed a claim, about all you can do is accept the return and provide return shipping and refund once you get the item back.

If you deny the return or try to fight it, buyer can ask Ebay for help and they might refund buyer from your Pay Pal account and let buyer keep the light.

Have a great day.
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

@mita2274 wrote:

Your title calls it a Lamp which IMP means a working functional standing LAMP.  If you would have listed it as a BULB that my have made the buyer look into exactly what it was.....even though you did list it in the correct category. 

You can call e bay and appeal the case.  Maybe get your return shipping fees back.

It is one of those cases where you were not clear on what the product was/is.  The buyer should have known what he was looking for by being more informed.

This quest stands on the edge of a blade...stray but a little and you shall fail to the ruin of us all.
"The Lady Galadriel"
Message 4 of 4
latest reply