cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer purchases item, has it shipped to port, 60+ days later claims item is damaged

Here's the scoop. Had a buyer purchase an item from me, and I received an address to a shipping and freight port which I assumed he wanted to use to get the item to the Caribbean islands. Not sure which one, not sure why eBay global shipping was out of the question. Freight depot is located in South Miami. The purchase was made clear back in January, so we're talking over 60 days. Nothing really takes that long to ship unless you make it take that long. Anyway, I ship this item FedEx, insured etc, so it's covered to the destination I am shipping to. It gets there, and I assume is freighted to its final destination on the buyer's dime, and now I'm getting a message regarding the item and box being damaged. 

Far as I can tell, we're 60 days out... well over any relevant eBay return window, and the buyer took responsibility to ship the item a second time, in which any indictation of damage should've been reported prior to it hitting that freight container so that I could file a claim with FedEx. Since he didn't I assume this is on him, but I wanted a second opinion (or more). 

Message 1 of 79
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Buyer purchases item, has it shipped to port, 60+ days later claims item is damaged

@focalpointrdwrote:

Here's the scoop. Had a buyer purchase an item from me, and I received an address to a shipping and freight port which I assumed he wanted to use to get the item to the Caribbean islands. Not sure which one, not sure why eBay global shipping was out of the question. Freight depot is located in South Miami. The purchase was made clear back in January, so we're talking over 60 days. Nothing really takes that long to ship unless you make it take that long. Anyway, I ship this item FedEx, insured etc, so it's covered to the destination I am shipping to. It gets there, and I assume is freighted to its final destination on the buyer's dime, and now I'm getting a message regarding the item and box being damaged. 

Far as I can tell, we're 60 days out... well over any relevant eBay return window, and the buyer took responsibility to ship the item a second time, in which any indictation of damage should've been reported prior to it hitting that freight container so that I could file a claim with FedEx. Since he didn't I assume this is on him, but I wanted a second opinion (or more). 

Call up both ebay  and paypal   and  let them know the buyer used shipping forward service  ,and make sure to point it out in the tracking to them .   When Buyer  use's a shipping forward company   they don't have Buyer protection  once it has been delievery to company the buyer is using to forward their packages .

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 79
latest reply
78 REPLIES 78

Do you have a question?

Message 2 of 79
latest reply

Yes. The OP does have a question. Did you read his/her post?

"Since he didn't I assume this is on him, but I wanted a second opinion (or more). "

Message 3 of 79
latest reply

@focalpointrdwrote:

Call up both ebay  and paypal   and  let them know the buyer used shipping forward service  ,and make sure to point it out in the tracking to them .   When Buyer  use's a shipping forward company   they don't have Buyer protection  once it has been delievery to company the buyer is using to forward their packages .

Message 4 of 79
latest reply

My intended plan is to try and negotiate that out of them. Unfortunately, I don't have definitive proof that they used it by means of tracking numbers, just e-mail correspondence. I aim to clarify that through messages as best I can. I appreciate the replies, and I figured what you stated was the case here. 

Message 5 of 79
latest reply

@focalpointrdwrote:

My intended plan is to try and negotiate that out of them. Unfortunately, I don't have definitive proof that they used it by means of tracking numbers, just e-mail correspondence. I aim to clarify that through messages as best I can. I appreciate the replies, and I figured what you stated was the case here. 

You do have proof-the address you shipped to. Customer service can and will google it and see that it’s a forwarding service. You don’t need to call anyone though. The buyer cannot file with eBay and even if they do, they can’t escalate and win since the MBG expired 30 days after delivery. The buyer didn’t have you ship to the Caribbean because you use the GSP. It’s cheaper for the buyer to use a US based forwarding service. If he filed with PayPal, then he does have buyer protection, PayPal does not have the forwarding file that eBay has.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 6 of 79
latest reply

@focalpointrdwrote:

The FedEx  Tracking  will show it as a business address that it was delievery .  

Message 7 of 79
latest reply

Agreed, mostly revving up info for a paypal battle if necessary. 

Message 8 of 79
latest reply

@missjen831wrote:

@focalpointrdwrote:

You do have proof-the address you shipped to. Customer service can and will google it and see that it’s a forwarding service. You don’t need to call anyone though. The buyer cannot file with eBay and even if they do, they can’t escalate and win since the MBG expired 30 days after delivery. The buyer didn’t have you ship to the Caribbean because you use the GSP. It’s cheaper for the buyer to use a US based forwarding service. If he filed with PayPal, then he does have buyer protection, PayPal does not have the forwarding file that eBay has.

Jen : Paypal does not give the buyer any protections  when they use a ship forward company  to ship  their home address , Because they  didn't what pay the higher cost. The fact it was reshipped in to a Metal shipping box to go by boat  .    I will tell you  this if I was seller  and had a buyer pull this,You can bet for Dammed sure I fight the despute  with both ebay and paypal  and Win the case.  

Message 9 of 79
latest reply

No sweat there, Mr. Carl. I just got him to admit in a message where he lives, how he shipped, when, his name etc. There's no dispute yet, because I haven't dropped the news on him that he won't be getting his money back, calling PP first to let them know. eBay is already a done deal as we've touched on earlier. I appreciate the echo chamber sentiments. I just wanted to be sure I had something open/shut. 

Message 10 of 79
latest reply

That isn't a question.

Message 11 of 79
latest reply

@sam9876wrote:

That isn't a question.

Nothing in this forum dictates I must ask a question. The original post in itself obviously seeks reassurance/clarification. If you're not going to contribute, you can choose to see yourself out, or I can get an admin to do it for you. 

Message 12 of 79
latest reply

@carlmarxxwrote:

@missjen831wrote:

@focalpointrdwrote:

Jen : Paypal does not give the buyer any protections  when they use a ship forward company  to ship  their home address , Because they  didn't what pay the higher cost. The fact it was reshipped in to a Metal shipping box to go by boat  .    I will tell you  this if I was seller  and had a buyer pull this,You can bet for Dammed sure I fight the despute  with both ebay and paypal  and Win the case.  

That is 100% false. Paypal buyer protection covers the buyer when a forwarding service is used. There is asbolutely nothing in the user agreement that states the purchase is ineligble for buyer protection when the item is forwarded.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 13 of 79
latest reply

@missjen831wrote:

@carlmarxxwrote:

@missjen831wrote:

@focalpointrdwrote:

That is 100% false. Paypal buyer protection covers the buyer when a forwarding service is used. There is asbolutely nothing in the user agreement that states the purchase is ineligble for buyer protection when the item is forwarded.

After just now reading it, there's nothing saying they are protected either. There are two kinds of PayPal claims ISNAD and item never received. Since the item was received at a port, and nothing was brought to anyone's attention that the box or its contents were damaged, the claim for ISNAD must be fulfilled there. The buyer states the item was transported a second time, removing my ability to recoup shipping damage losses if need be. Buyer essentially tampered and mishandled the item by proxy using an unauthorized freight shipper in substandard conditions.

Message 14 of 79
latest reply

Good luck!

Message 15 of 79
latest reply