cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer not picking up package or responding to messages

Hello everyone,

I have been on ebay for a long time but don't really do very much selling or buying so this is fairly new to me.  I sold an item and was paid immediately.  I shipped the item on 6/27 and received a tracking number.  I did not require a signature--it was just shipped priority mail with tracking.

I checked the tracking and there was a notice that stated that the USPS attempted to deliver the package on 6/29 and a notice was left.  I contacted the buyer via ebay messages and told her about that message.  She never responded. 

I checked the tracking again and now it states that there is a reminder to schedule redelivery.  I called USPS and they said that the package will be returned to me on 7/13 if not picked up.  I contacted the buyer again via ebay messages and still have not received a response from her. 

I don't know anything else to do.  I guess I just have to wait and see if she picks it up before 7/13.  However, I wound up having to pay quite a bit more for shipping than I charged and I don't want to end up eating those costs if the package gets sent back to me and I have to refund her.  That doesn't seem very fair to me since I did everything that I was supposed to do but she doesn't seem like she is interested in picking up the package or responding to me.  Is there anything else that I can do at this point? 

Thank you for your help. 

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Buyer not picking up package or responding to messages

@pookiepura

Just wait, that's all you can do at this point. The fact that you have tracking which indicates that delivery was attempted, and providing the address you shipped to is exactly the same as the transaction details show, then the buyer will be responsible for the shipping costs. When the item is returned to you simply refund less those shipping costs If a buyer refuses delivery and doesn't meet the "Exeptions" to the MBG policy, they lose their buyer protection.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/money-back-guarantee.html#resolution1

The longer I'm on eBay, the more convinced I am that idiocy in the world is growing at an alarming rate. No where is it more visible than the view from eBay itself.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

@pookiepura

Just wait, that's all you can do at this point. The fact that you have tracking which indicates that delivery was attempted, and providing the address you shipped to is exactly the same as the transaction details show, then the buyer will be responsible for the shipping costs. When the item is returned to you simply refund less those shipping costs If a buyer refuses delivery and doesn't meet the "Exeptions" to the MBG policy, they lose their buyer protection.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/money-back-guarantee.html#resolution1

The longer I'm on eBay, the more convinced I am that idiocy in the world is growing at an alarming rate. No where is it more visible than the view from eBay itself.
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

In the same vein that you set up the original delivery for your buyer, you can set up a redelivery for your buyer:

https://redelivery.usps.com/redelivery

If you don't have some of the information to fill in, use your own information instead e.g. phone number.

Why is this allowed? Because you are "the executor, guardian, authorized officer, or agent of the person for whom mail" is to be redelivered.
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Just wait until the package gets sent back to you.  Refund minus the shippin cost, stop messaging your buyer, block them, and move on.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Having similar experience. I shipped on the 27th , priority, signature required. USPS attempted delivery-no recipient.I thought, no big deal, he/she wasn't at home, they will get delivery in next few days. Result? Since then, no reply from buyer to two emails & a phone message left.-No further updates from USPS. And it is an expensive item. My guess is that he has 2nd thoughts, but if so, why not just return it, instead of letting me hang out to dry and miss two weeks of being able to sell it. The finale of this number is yet to be known. Buyers have no concern that we as sellers have bills to pay and need to know if a transaction has completed or not. All of my peer sellers are such a dedicated, proactive group of entrepreneurial spirits-it'a not a level playing field these days. Is it "idiocy" as you put it, or just bad manners, or maybe both.? 99.9% of my buyers are so LOVELY, but then you always get one squirrely apple in the mix, don't you?
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies.  Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

Message 6 of 6
latest reply