cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer leaves negative without communicating with me

I sold a pair of vintage WW2 boots and the buyer sends me a picture showing they were damaged....which they were. I sent him a message saying the damage looks more severe than I remembered. I asked him if he tried them on and they ripped. (He had said something like: "boots damaged....I can't wear them." (Well I didn't really expect anyone to actually wear these vintage boots.) No response from him. Fast forward a couple days and he sends me a note saying something to the effect: "so they were different boots?! (thumbs down thumbs down)". And then he leaves me a negative. (As an aside, I don't think English is his first language.) So I check the feedback he's left, and he does not have a history of leaving negative feedback. My question is: Should I pursue this? Should I be proactive? l would not have had an issue if he returned the boots....he just never asked. Granted, I wouldn't be surprised if he hit me with a SNAD or whatever now....ie, his negative feedback may not be the end of him. But yea I'm upset because he didn't even communicate with me....just leaves a negative. Now should I send him a message and ask him if he wants to return the boots? I guess I'm thinking: "What does it matter? He left his feedback and he may not change it even if I issue him a refund." But then again, I'll have to issue him a refund if he wants to return the boots or gets eBay Paypal involved. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

@notfoundagain wrote:

But yea I'm upset because he didn't even communicate with me....just leaves a negative. Any thoughts? Thanks!

I don't see any negative feedback on your account

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

I see no neg on your account.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

There is nothing to pursue.

Reply calmly to the FB, something like ...  'Would have refunded if return had been requested'.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

This is not the account under which I sold the item.
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

@notfoundagain   So all the communication you mentioned was after the neg FB right?  The first part of the post might lead a reader to think that the combat boots from over 72 years ago might have been in worse shape then the listing presented them as.  Some people, specifically reenactors, actually do wear the period clothing or combat gear for official gatherings.  Perhaps the listing should have stated for collectors not for wear.

But regardless, the issue at hand is you received the neg FB ... you can of course reply to the FB ... and since you already have the neg I would wait to see if they process a claim.  If you pursue trying to get it changed tied in to a Return for Full refund now it would be hard to convey that desire without violating eBay's Feedback Extortion Policy ...

You might try contacting eBay and discuss the FB history of the Buyer and see if there might be anything they could do to either delete the verbiage or the entire FB ... its a long shot but certainly worth a try.

In closing, I am really sorry this happened, Neutral or negative FB should NEVER be permitted without messages back and forth between Buyer and Seller ... here's eBay's statement about it from the Help Pages:

"Many problems are misunderstandings that can be worked out when members talk to one another. The first thing we recommend is for the buyer and seller to communicate. Read our guidelines on finding contact information and communicating with your trading partner."

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 6 of 13
latest reply

The boots were damaged - the tongue was ripped. But the pics he sent me showed more severe damage. And anytime a buyer has an issue like this, I always respond with a question to get more detail, as opposed to just telling them to ship back the item. I should have noted that the boots were not meant to be worn and were being sold only as a collector's piece. Actually, the buyer does NOT have a history of leaving negatives, which confuses me the more. I just question whether I should take it upon myself to make him happy, considering that he has already left me negative feedback. There's not much incentive now on my part to make him happy.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

That's exactly what I did. I did not send the buyer a message, but I responded in kind to the FB.
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

The only recourse to removing feedback left regarding Carrier fault that I know of is to CONTACT EBAY seller support. 

That said, since Seller can't even leave neutral feedback for the transaction, it's a shame Buyers can and often do leave Negative feedback regarding purely Carrier issues, without contacting Seller.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Your buyer did communicate with you. He sent you a picture and said the boots were damaged. Your response was to say you didn't remember the boots being that damaged and asking if he did it! Most buyers will not react well to that. Your first response after the buyer indicates there is a problem is important. If your response reassures the buyer that you intend to make it right, they may work with you. If you respond in a way that seems to accuse the buyer, a neg is very likely.

Seller: If you don't leave me favorable feedback that helps grow my business by promoting trust in my ebay brand, then I won't leave you a useless green dot that benefits you in no way whatsoever! Me: Okay, you've got a deal!
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

You responded in kind to the buyer's neg? If you have found comfort and solace in doing that. Then the case is closed. Carry on.
"Fly the Big Ones"
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Sorry but they do not have to contact you before leaving a negaitve it's just a suggestion by eBay.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

The buyer probably added damage to the boots to open a claim. Because Ebay sends your buyer "similar" ads after your sale and most of the times at a lower price, some buyers will want to return yours and buy the other sellers but they know they need to make up a story to make a return. I had a guy that obviously ran over the shoes I sold him with something very heavy. Probably a car. There is not way the damage could have happened by him just walking in them for a couple days as he said. The way the soles of the shoes cracked the shoes were obviously laid on their side and run over. Sounds crazy, but it happens all the time. I just gave the buyer his $20 back on the shoes. I wasn't going to lose sleep over a low level scammer, but I did block his account after the sale. I would suggest the same to you. Stinks, but Ebay is far from perfect. 

Message 13 of 13
latest reply