cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer insistent on partial refund

A buyer claims that the condition of an item does not match the description, and he wants a partial refund, which he has determined to be 1/2 of his purchase price. I disagree with his assessment of the condition (I did not tell him this), as I believe my pics speak to the condition of the item, but nevertheless.... I told him I cannot issue a partial refund, but would be happy to pay for his return shipping and issue a full refund upon return receipt of the item in its original condition. He was not satisfied and asked (and continues to ask): "where does it say in your listing that you do not issue partial refunds?" 

On related note: do I have any recourse if he returns the item to me and it is damaged? Thanks for your help!

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Buyer insistent on partial refund

Is this the same as the other thread?

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

What doesn't match in his eyes?  Has he said?  Since he doesn't want to return the item, more likely the buyer is looking to get the item cheaper and keep it.  Buyers try to fleece sellers.  It's happened to me, but not for a couple years.  Have them provide details as to why he/she feels what they received doesn't match your description.  Have them send photos.  Be sure what they send pics of is exactly what you shipped.  I've had buyers send me photos of damaged stuff that wasn't mine.   Looks like but after deep review, it's not.  If he returns it and it's damaged but never said it was damaged, then that's on them.

Ebay generally takes the side of buyers, where paypal reviews all of the evidence and supports fact, better for the seller, in my case

I offer partial refunds.  Cheaper than paying for return shipping in many cases.  

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Simply repeat "I'm sorry you're unhappy. Please return for a full refund."

As for recourse, there's really none through ebay once the item is returned. You can try an appeal, IC3, etc.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I said the milk glass mugs were in "good condition with no chips or cracks". He says that they are faded. Fine and dandy, but they are not faded beyond that incurred through age and normal use. Furthermore, the item pics tell the story. And since I disagree with him, I wasn't going to play ball. I also issue partial refunds in some cases, but I don't think this case warrants a partial refund. I think the buyer just wants the item half off.
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Yes if there is a very similar thread. I searched for my original one and could not find it, so I just posted it again.
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Instead of searching, simply right-click on your user name; it then shows all the posts you've made.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply