cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer didn't read description, purchased item now wants me to refund shipping

My buyer just contacted me about a cake stand I sold. I mentioned in the description it had a chip, I measured the chip. I took photos of the chip. They told me it arrived with one of the scallops chipped. I asked was it the same one I mentioned in the description and photographed and they said: No just the one. My mistake in not reading your post in detail of the chip. Would you consider a refund my expense of shipping?

How do I respond to this? These cake stands are going for a lot and I lowered the price because of the chip. For shipping I said $40 and I would refund any difference minus a 2.00 fee for supplies, which I did, it came to $36.71 so I refunded her 1.29.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

The buyer clearly didn't look at your photos.  

I will say that you use a small font in your description, you don't use paragraphs, and it really doesn't read easily.  All flaws should be prominent in the description.

And while you might think you priced accordingly because of the chip, sure there are other active listings with very high pricing, but a look at the sold comps don't show yours was any bargain.   Many that sold in the same price range were not damaged.

If the buyer opens a SNAD (even though you described the chip), you will on the hook for a full refund (and return shipping if you want it back), but giving a refund of the shipping price puts you in the hole a few bucks.  That doesn't sit well with me either.

Hrm... tough call.  

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

The buyer clearly didn't look at your photos.  

I will say that you use a small font in your description, you don't use paragraphs, and it really doesn't read easily.  All flaws should be prominent in the description.

And while you might think you priced accordingly because of the chip, sure there are other active listings with very high pricing, but a look at the sold comps don't show yours was any bargain.   Many that sold in the same price range were not damaged.

If the buyer opens a SNAD (even though you described the chip), you will on the hook for a full refund (and return shipping if you want it back), but giving a refund of the shipping price puts you in the hole a few bucks.  That doesn't sit well with me either.

Hrm... tough call.  

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

I called ebay and a rep told me that because the buyer didn't read the provided information and admitted that in their email to me that I do not have to refund her anything, my seller protection will take care of me and they put details in just incase the buyer opens a case the next rep can view that information. Thanks

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

It is very hard to win a false SNAD claim.  In the past, reps would close them in the seller's favor with the proof you have, but they've changed their procedure.  They take the buyer at their for the reason of the SNAD regardless of any contradictory information they may provide outside of the claim.

Others should concur.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

I list on my cell phone. I didnt realize the font was small. Thanks when I get on my laptop I will change that for current and future listings. 

I did a search for the recent square cake stands that ended and they went for 89.99, 115.00 and 150.00. One even sold for 279.00 so I thought my 37.00 was well below those prices. Thank you again ☺

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Sorry.  I neglected the fact that yours was square.  The angle of your first picture didn't show that, so when I kept looking at the comps I failed to remember yours was square.  But still many of the comps, with shipping included, weren't too much higher than yoursand some were lower.  

I have no issues with selling a damaged item, and I also price well when there is damage present, but I make it a point to really highlight the damage many times... in the Title, the Item Specs, and in the Description.   Then I also throw in an additional line like Low price refects condition (chip)

May I suggest that if you're going to list damaged pieces, do them on the laptop and maybe use bullet points.  It's so much easier to read and things really stand out that way.   

Maybe something like this?

A clear square Fostoria cake stand with pedestal base and rum well.  It has a cube pattern.  This is a very thick and solid cake stand, the design around the edge and the base of the cake stand are both 1/2 an inch thick. Very heavy.

• 7" tall x 10 1/4" wide.
  • Unfortunately it has a chip on the top. There is a ridge where the piece is gone, but it can be ground down.  Chip shown in pics.
  • This weighs a little over 7lbs without any packaging. 

Low price reflects condition (chip)

Please understand the shipping cost is via weight and regional zone. It could cost less and I will refund the difference minus a 2.00 fee for supplies/box.

You do take really nice, clear pictures, and have some great items.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply