cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer claims they won’t be home to sign for package for weeks

IMG_3130.jpeg

IMG_3131.jpeg

IMG_3132.jpeg

Hello, I am not sure what is best to do here. Buyer has hundreds of positive feedback. Looks authentic. I refused to change any of the shipping parameters as eBay cannot protect me if that happens. This is a large ticket item, so I really do not want to risk the money/item. 

Do I reach out to eBay now or do I wait ? Should I stop replying ?

Any help is appreciated. 

Thanks 

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

I had one like this awhile ago with Fed Ex. Tell te buyer to have them hold them item at their nearest holding facility until the buyer can actually go there and pick it up.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Fed Ex has facilities where they can hold the package but not sure how long they can hold. Call 1-800-GOFEDEX. They absolutely cannot change the Signature requirement if you shipped it through Ebay labels.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

If they pick up at the facility they must show ID.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

This is the $2k Disney set? You already shipped, correct?

Poor planning on the buyer's part.

If the package is undeliverable FedEx will return it to you and you'll be charged for that. Then you can refund the buyer less your shipping/fees. Make sure you know what you're paying for the return before you refund the buyer.

If neighbor has access to her house, she can ask the neighbor to house sit on delivery day to sign for it.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

If they cannot hold it should be forewarded back. My Customer had to drive to the holding facility because she was always at work when they came.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

I had one like this awhile ago with Fed Ex. Tell te buyer to have them hold them item at their nearest holding facility until the buyer can actually go there and pick it up.

OP said that won't work because buyer won't be back until after FedEx 14 day hold expires.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Yep, they only hold for that time period then foreward back at shippers expense. Maybe they can call Fed Ex and ask if they would do extension, not sure.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Fed Ex is a royal pain when buyers cannot be there to sign.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

If it hasn't been shipped yet, I'd let the buyer know that you can (or will) cancel until such time they're available to accept delivery and sign. 

Personally, I think the request is sketchy, especially that they're continuing to try to find ways to cause you to lose what little protection you have as a seller. 

That the "buyer has hundreds of positive feedback" means nothing since buyers can only receive positive feedback. But I'm curious, how recent is their feedback left for others AND received? And what does the feedback left for others look like? 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

The buyer reached out two days after I shipped it, unfortunately. It is an odd situation. 

Ultimately I feel this will end up coming back to me after the 2 week period at the holding facility. 

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

I agree, for sure bad planning if this is a legit issue with buyer. I expect this to end up being a return to sender situation. 

thank you for your input. 

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Since the buyer has issues retrieving in the 14 day window, I most likely will end up getting this item back and having to relist. 

Message 13 of 13
latest reply