cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bogus Return Request

OMG, I am so angry and frustrated right now.  Would love some suggestions...

I sold an item to a scammer and now I'm supposed to refund him????

I opened item from new box and sent pictures of item in brand new condition then replaced in manufacturers box and sent to buyer.  All of a sudden, I get a message that he wants a refund because it is broken in 2 places - perfectly symmetrical by the way.  I apologized and told him to contact the post office and make a claim because I sent it out intact and packed properly.  He said no, your ad says returns accepted for damaged items and I said, not if you damage the item.  He sent pictures of item broken in 2 separate places and the box was in the background in perfect condition.  Also, I have been a seller for over 20 years with thousands of 100% feedback.  This guy has a feedback of 35.... shouldn't my record count for something????  I tried talking to ebay and they suggest I send him a refund and then appeal which I guess I have to do or they will send it to him anyway???  Why don't they hold money back from him like they are doing to me? I am not Walmart, I can't write off my products, I just lose out because why????? 

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Bogus Return Request

, I just lose out because why?????

Because of eBay's Money Back Guarantee. Accept the return and issue a label. Refund when you get it back. If you don't you're out the item and the money, and you get a defect. Plus, eBay will charge you another $20 just for fun.

Bogus Return Request

eBay's Money Back Guarantee for buyers is available for reading in every listing.  It should be REQUIRED reading for every eBay buyer and seller, preferably before they begin their buying or selling career on eBay.

All a buyer has to do is open an item not as described case and eBay will require that the seller send him a prepaid return shipping label or reimburse him in advance for the cost of the return shipping.

After the seller receives the item back, he required to refund the buyer the cost of the item plus the shipping.

With your long time on eBay and your impressive feedback, it's a little surprising that you haven't ever read the MBG.

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

Bogus Return Request

" I apologized and told him to contact the post office and make a claim because I sent it out intact and packed properly.  He said no, your ad says returns accepted for damaged items and I said, not if you damage the item. "

A buyer never has to 'contact the post office', as the seller, that is your job.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 4 of 24
latest reply

Bogus Return Request

I am not sure you want experienced sellers and buyers suggestions as I don't think you are going to like any of them. Please keep in mind that I am not doubting anything you say about the condition of item when you sent it. You have my sympathy but that is of little comfort to you.

A) Noted that buyer claimed that item is defective.

You do not make it clear whether an INAD or Defective not working case is opened.

If case is opened then you have 3 choices. 

Issue a full refund now and save return postage cost. You get your final value fees back from eBay.

Send buyer a pre paid return label and get a broken item back. You issue a full refund and you get your final value fees back.

Do nothing and case will close with a full refund to buyer without him returning the item. You do not get your final value fees back.

Having done this report the buyer as abusive to eBay and they will do whatever they deem fit and they will not share that information with you. You can then appeal the case and eBay may or may not give you the money from their own pocket.

B) Noted that you asked buyer to contact the post office and make a claim.

Please note that this is not buyers responsibility as you are the sender . 

C) eBay can not hold buyers fees for any reason. 

If everything goes against the buyer on eBay he can still get his money back by submitting a a claim with his Bank, Credit card or Pay pal ( Charge back) and they will put your funds on hold with eBay and your buyer simply has to send the item back to you and when tracking shows that delivery was attempted or completed then they will issue a refund to buyer and debit your account.

eBay know that these things happen and they simply follow rules and regulations that are not of their making.

All these things are just pitfalls of selling on eBay and at some stage or another most of us sellers have had to deal with such claims.

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

Bogus Return Request

@impassingiton wrote:

Also, I have been a seller for over 20 years with thousands of 100% feedback.  This guy has a feedback of 35.... shouldn't my record count for something????   

No your "record" doesn't count for this type of situation. That's like saying, I've lived a peaceful life for 50 years, how can I be accused of murder? Just because someone never killed another in their life doesn't mean they didn't just snap this time. Same for you as a seller, just because you never had a buyer say one of your items arrived damaged doesn't mean this ONE TIME it didn't. That's not how this works. Best of luck to you....

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

Bogus Return Request

@impassingiton wrote:

I apologized and told him to contact the post office and make a claim because I sent it out intact and packed properly. 

The buyer is covered by the MBG, they don't have to file a claim with USPS, that's your job.

If you want to file a claim with USPS, refund the buyer and have them hang on to the item and package so it can be inspected if needed.

Or issue a return label and refund the buyer when something is returned.

Have a great day.
Message 7 of 24
latest reply

Bogus Return Request

Ok, just want to make sure I get this straight, I can buy anything from eBay, break it and then return it for a full refund and the seller just has to suck it up? 

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

Bogus Return Request

No, its not like saying that at all.  It is proof that I have done a good job.  Why on earth would I take a picture of something for a buyer and then break it and ship it to him?  That makes zero sense.  I'm not saying they should assume that I'm right but they should evaluate the information and not take his word over mine.  I actually value my ratings and do my best to make the customer happy, but my dealings with this person scream "scammer".   Well I used to care about my ratings before I found out they don't matter.  

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

Bogus Return Request

@impassingiton wrote:

No, its not like saying that at all.  It is proof that I have done a good job.  Why on earth would I take a picture of something for a buyer and then break it and ship it to him?  That makes zero sense.  I'm not saying they should assume that I'm right but they should evaluate the information and not take his word over mine.  I actually value my ratings and do my best to make the customer happy, but my dealings with this person scream "scammer".   Well I used to care about my ratings before I found out they don't matter.  

Sorry but yet again you are wrong. You keep looking at this as a personal attack against your credibility and it's not that. This is business only. Your buyer is claiming the item arrived damaged, period. They aren't saying you broke it then placed it in a box to ship it to them. 

I myself once purchased a brand new, never opened chair from a major retailer. got it home, opened the box, and not only was a part broken in half, but the wheels were missing. It was brand new, never opened, no damage to the outside of the box. These things do happen, it's not that much of a stretch of the imagination. Your problem is you are all caught up with your word and your record against this other person because they don't have as many FB as you do. You aren't looking at this from any other perspective because you've taken it as a personal assault against you. That is why you are wrong....

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

Bogus Return Request

@impassingiton wrote:

Ok, just want to make sure I get this straight, I can buy anything from eBay, break it and then return it for a full refund and the seller just has to suck it up? 

Yes, you got it. You can also purchase anything from Walmart or another retailer, take it home, break it, then return it and get a refund. See how that works....

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

Bogus Return Request

Nope, I'm not wrong and it is a stretch of the imagination when I photographed the item before shipping and placed it in a perfectly packed box that arrived undamaged.  This was not a fragile item. There is no way possible this item broke in 2 different places.  I'm not caught up in anything besides injustice and you just make assumptions.  That's why you are wrong.

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

Bogus Return Request

You're saying a buyer can buy anything, destroy it and get a refund.  Yea, that makes sense.

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

Bogus Return Request

@impassingiton wrote:

Nope, I'm not wrong and it is a stretch of the imagination when I photographed the item before shipping and placed it in a perfectly packed box that arrived undamaged.  This was not a fragile item. There is no way possible this item broke in 2 different places.  I'm not caught up in anything besides injustice and you just make assumptions.  That's why you are wrong.

You know what, you are absolutely correct. That's what you want to hear so, you are right. You are the best. You are the only one who knows anything at all. Best of luck to you....

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

Bogus Return Request

@impassingiton wrote:

You're saying a buyer can buy anything, destroy it and get a refund.  Yea, that makes sense.

Yep, and I'll keep saying it back to you so just keep on repeating it....

Message 15 of 24
latest reply