cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I crazy? Label postage price does not increase with increase in weight, consistently INCORRECT

I recently got 2 notices from USPS through eBay to me, stating I would be charged extra for my postage miscalculation (one for 60-odd cents, and one for $1.75).  This did not make sense to me. As a long time eBayer who has been on since 1996, I know to be extremely conscientious about weighing and measuring my packages for proper label cost.

----So tonight I went to buy postage for a couple of identical items combined in one package.  One item alone was 12 ounces, so the 3 of them in one box put the postage to 2 lbs.  

12 ounces was $5, so out of curiosity, I put in 1 lb, jumped to $5.80.

But since the box of multiples went to 2 lbs, I expected the postage to jump up again.  Nope.  $5.80

SO I put in 4 lbs... $5.80

8 lbs? $5.80

10 lbs?  $5.80

So obviously the calculator is wrong, and that is why the PO is coming back to me to collect the proper postage shortfall.  This is frustrating and not right.

--------Is anyone else experiencing this?

--------Can this be fixed?  If so, how do I fix this?

--------If not, what is the solution?

Thanks, Be well

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Am I crazy? Label postage price does not increase with increase in weight, consistently INCORREC

No, you're not crazy; you just missed the announcement about eBay introducing cubic rates. They offer great savings for packages up to 20 pounds, up to one cubic foot for Ground Advantage and up to .5 cu ft for Priority.  Your little package ships at the rate for just .1 cubic foot, for any weight from 1 to 20 pounds.

Your underpaid packages might not be related to cubic rates at all, or they might be due to your box measurements being off by  fraction of an inch. Here are the USPS rules for measuring for cubic rates:

https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/223.htm#ep1405178

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Am I crazy? Label postage price does not increase with increase in weight, consistently INCORREC

The calculator is correct. You are seeing a cubic rate which is based on package volume up to a certain weight (20 lb).

Increase the dimensions and you'll see an increase in rate. Try 12x12x12 and see the jump.

Read below about how it works.

https://www.ebay.com/sellercenter/shipping/choosing-a-carrier-and-service/usps-and-ebay-labels

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

No, you're not crazy; you just missed the announcement about eBay introducing cubic rates. They offer great savings for packages up to 20 pounds, up to one cubic foot for Ground Advantage and up to .5 cu ft for Priority.  Your little package ships at the rate for just .1 cubic foot, for any weight from 1 to 20 pounds.

Your underpaid packages might not be related to cubic rates at all, or they might be due to your box measurements being off by  fraction of an inch. Here are the USPS rules for measuring for cubic rates:

https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/223.htm#ep1405178

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

....try and get that good an answer(s) from Customer Service......

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

THANK YOU!!  I am crazy, but thankfully not that crazy!!! Now it makes sense.  I'll go back thru my messages, because I am unsure how I could have missed this, but no matter, I have it now!!!

Thanks so much, Be well

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Thanks! be well

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@vorpalaprov wrote: ... I am unsure how I could have missed this, but no matter, I have it now!!!

Thanks so much, Be well

It was buried in a general announcement about USPS rate changes:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/2024-USPS-Rate-Changes/ba-p/34236252

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

THANKS! be well

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Well that figures.....

Thanks be well

Message 9 of 9
latest reply