cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1 Business Day Handling Time Clarification

Please forgive me if this question has been asked/answered before, but after doing my best to find the answer among the resources available to me, I cannot gain the solid clarification I am looking for.

Scenario: A customer orders an item at 8pm on Monday that offers 1 Business Day Handling. I pack the item and generate a label on Tuesday, and the item is picked up by my mail carrier on Wednesday (they usually pickup between 11am-2pm). 

Have I broken the 1 Business Day Suspense?

If so, are there any settings/options I can modify to ensure such a scenario will meet the 1 Business day suspense without having to pack, label, and ship on the same day?

I hope this makes, and again, I apologize if this question has already been answered elsewhere, or if the answer seems obvious. Thank you!

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: 1 Business Day Handling Time Clarification

You can change to two day, but state in your listings most orders are shipped within one business day. It's a problem for East Coast sellers.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

@invigoratedtreasures wrote:

Please forgive me if this question has been asked/answered before, but after doing my best to find the answer among the resources available to me, I cannot gain the solid clarification I am looking for.

Scenario: A customer orders an item at 8pm on Monday that offers 1 Business Day Handling. I pack the item and generate a label on Tuesday, and the item is picked up by my mail carrier on Wednesday (they usually pickup between 11am-2pm). 

Have I broken the 1 Business Day Suspense?

If so, are there any settings/options I can modify to ensure such a scenario will meet the 1 Business day suspense without having to pack, label, and ship on the same day?

I hope this makes, and again, I apologize if this question has already been answered elsewhere, or if the answer seems obvious. Thank you!

Would advise against one day handling... problems happen.

Now to what you say: most  purchasers would say you should  have had it done on Tuesday.

Yet one day handling means on day to handle the item packing etc...

so on Wednesday would have been with in the limits...

Do not expect you purchaser to see this as one day handling time:

They will think it means one day to ship it.. or in this case Tuesday.

Confused before????? How about now.....

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

What are your shipping cutoff times set at? That may be affecting the handling time calculation. You can also look at the order and see when the expected delivery and ship date is shown to be. That would tell you if you exceeded the 1 Day Handling time frame as well. On the east coast, it may be better to set your cutoff times earlier to then make it so that an order placed Monday on the west coast would be after your cutoff time. Just in case eBay is somehow not factoring in your day end correctly on Monday in your own time zone in that scenario.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Shipped means in the carriers hand-scanned in as 'received by carrier. 

Same day shipping is shipments (typically) by 2pm at (time of seller). 

1 Day shipping is basically next business day. 

So, item purchased 11pm on Monday night, is packaged, labeled and given to the carrier (scanned in) by Tuesday (end of day, varies depending on post office and where you live)

But... having pickup on Weds on a Monday purchase is 1 day too late. 

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

The scenario which you offer (the buyer purchases at 8 PM  your time on Monday) would indicate to me that you need to ship before 12:00 PM Pacific time on Tuesday, in order to show "1 Business Day Handling."  In addition, your TRACKING needs to show that USPS accepted the shipment before 12:00 PM Pacific time -- not simply having been picked up by your carrier.

As others have stated, this puts East Coast sellers into a bind -- unless they are REAL early birds!

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Thank you everyone who has responded so far. I think this has helped me to at least identify where my confusion is coming from. 

Reference: The "Top Rated Plus Benefits" outlined here- https://www.ebay.com/sellercenter/protections/top-rated-program

The statement: "Same or one-business-day handling"

This seems to delineate between "Same Day Handling" and "One Business Day Handling".  I cannot find a sufficient definition or explanation for my current reading level. I notice in the responses, these terms are being used interchangeably. 

Also, I have only offered 1 Business Day Handling on about 20 listings, and only one of those sold so far. That item sold on a Sunday afternoon and went out Monday, so it does not fit the scenario I am describing. I asked my question because I want to start offering more Top Rated Plus listings, but do not want to get ahead of myself and find out my interpretation is wrong (i.e. I believe my example would be 1 business day handling).

Thank you everyone again!

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Any order that comes in before midnight Monday needs to be shipped on Tuesday to meet 1 business day handling.

It's my understanding that eBay recently changed the system so it looks at the seller's time zone, not eBay's pacific time zone.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

I think that you meant  12 AM Pacific Time, not 12 PM.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Thank you everyone who has responded so far. I think this has helped me to at least identify where my confusion is coming from. 

Reference: The "Top Rated Plus Benefits" outlined here- https://www.ebay.com/sellercenter/protections/top-rated-program

The statement: "Same or one-business-day handling"

This seems to delineate between "Same Day Handling" and "One Business Day Handling".  I cannot find a sufficient definition or explanation for my current reading level. I notice in the responses, these terms are being used interchangeably. ...

"Same day" and "1 day" are not the same thing.

If you set your handling time to "same" day, you can choose a cutoff time. Then eBay expects you to get an acceptance scan before midnight that same night (or by Monday night if the sale is after your cutoff time on Friday).

If you set your handling time to 1 day, then you are expected to get an acceptance scan before midnight on the next business day. In your original post, if you are paid on Monday and have 1-day handling, you need to get that scan on Tuesday.

The above are the basic seller performance standards.  The standards for TRS are more relaxed, and one of the main sources of your confusion is that you are mixing up the two sets of requirements,

For TRS, you just have to upload the tracking within your handling time. Then ANY scan will meet the scan part of the requirement. This set of TRS requirements predates the seller performance standards. Originally there was not even a requirement for any scan, just the uploading a tracking number. As you can imagine (though apparently eBay didn't anticipate this)   a lot of fake "tracking numbers" were entered, and hence the scan requirement was introduced specifically to make sure that the tracking number was a real carrier's number; hence, it didn't matter whether it was an acceptance scan, delivery scan, or anything in between.

IMHO the following page does a better job than the page you linked to:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/selling/seller-levels-performance-standards?id=4080 

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

"I think that you meant  12 AM Pacific Time, not 12 PM."

No -- 12:00 PM is noon -- 12:00 AM is midnight.

The reminder that eBay sends me on a daily basis states that I need to ship my items by 11:59 PM Pacific time.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

My mistake -- it actually DOES read "11:59 PDT."

My apologies for being wrong.  Thanks for catching my error.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

shipping on a weds woud NOT be within the limit

its next business day

@donsdetour 

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

This would be two day shipping, not one day.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 14 of 14
latest reply