cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The podcast team had a great conversation about handy tips that were posted on the eBay for Business Facebook page. The topics included tips for packaging, supplies, organization, and how to show professionalism in your shipping. You can listen to the podcast here or read about the tips below, straight from Facebook.

Packaging:

Marilena Celii L.

Use foam pool noodles to ship coffee mugs. Cut a piece the height of mug. Slit open one side, slide over handle. Then wrap in bubble wrap and ship.

Karen C.

We use the noodles for all kinds of items. I sell a lot of vintage bone China and porcelain miniatures. The noodles are perfect for them! When shipping bowls, split a section of a noodle and place around the rim of the bowl. Plates the same. All kinds of great ways to pack with noodles.

Desiree G.

Pool noodles are great for shipping. They are very versatile but we mostly use them when shipping framed art. We slit them down one side and wrap it around the frame, then we used shipping plastic or plastic wrap around the face and back of the artwork. That keeps the glass floated safely. We have gotten a lot of compliments about the creativity of our shipping methods and haven't had any art arrive damaged.

Lisa S.

When I'm in need of box filler I create air pillows by blowing up zip lock bags with a straw and sealing them with my food saver machine. Super easy, lightweight and inexpensive.

Nancy B.

For every pkg, I put a layer of crunched newsprint, then bubble wrap the item (i sell mostly breakable stuff), place it in the middle, then i put more paper in snug all around it & then put paper on top. I add an ebay thank you note, personally signed, and also add a business card offering them a discount on all future purchases. In 1.5 yrs, i've only had 2 items break & one of those was a wooden item which was a freak accident by the post office. So this way works well for me.  community_team_0-1623432715244.png

Penny C.

I usually ship breakables so I pack them with the understanding that the USPS will drop them, shake them, kick them, throw them, step on them, etc. I don't get angry with the post office employees, I pack my items so they can not break my stuff.

Tracy R.

Protect DVD's in cardboard by making a cardboard slipcover out of Free boxes from Aldis or other stores. For a regular DVD case cut the cardboard 14" x 8" and put the dvd on the edge of the short end of the cardboard and roll it across bending the cardboard at every edge of the dvd. Fold the last inch over to completely enclose it so that every edge of the dvd is covered. Slip in the packing slip with a nice Thank You stamp or ebay thank you note community_team_1-1623432715254.png tape the packing slip on the cardboard before slipping into the bubblemailer. This same method can be adjusted for cd's, books and vhs.

Cathy L B.

Use cardboard paper towel and toilet tissue rolls to protect things that fit into them such as legs and arms of dolls

Jessica P.

When I used to work for online order fulfillment, the rule was that nothing could move around in the box. I agree with everyone who’s been saying that on here!

Shaun R.

Pack every package so your 240lb body can stand on it and make zero dents in the box. 7000+ sales and only 1 damaged because it looks like a semi ran over a 4' long box and had tire tracks on it.

Lynn E.

Fold clothing and package in a cello bag before packaging. The item will look much nicer when your buyer receives it! I hate getting clothing that’s just tossed into a bag or box.

Supplies:

Griff: Our next group of tips are about packing supplies;

Leslie F.

Over estimate what you need prior to the holidays, especially USPS Priority boxes

Alissa Z.

Get a nice box resizer and you can trim down boxes to reduce items’ movement inside AND of course to cut down shipping weight by trimming excess cardboard. (I got an awesome box resizer from Garage Flips!)

Clark W.

My best advice for packing is to know how you’re going to ship an item before you list it and have all of the shipping supplies on hand. There’s nothing worse than selling an item during the holidays only to find that you don’t have a box to ship it in and/or it’s going to cost more than you thought to ship it because of the box dimensions or weight.

Heather R.

Reorder packing supplies before you run out (I should take my own advice)

Lauren U.

My neighbor is a huge online shopper. Most of my boxes come from her.

Stu G.

I buy sheet cardboard and custom make my own boxes. They fit perfectly, reduce packing material, ship more securely. It takes less time than filling voids.

Jenny E.

USPS has free priority boxes and envelopes

Organization/Operations/Shipping Station:

Griff: Now we’ll focus on tips about Staying Organized!

Amy Brookbank B.

Use an ironing board as a packing table for small items. Adjustable height will save your back!

Anca P.

Ship quickly! Having a well-organized shipping station makes packing very easy. If it ships in a box add a candy  community_team_2-1623432715252.png

[she included a photo of her shipping station]

Jeffrey C. R.

Save and breakdown all boxes you receive in the mail, for reuse- stack them vertically to optimize storage in the meantime.

Raymond S.

Invest in a gummed tape dispenser. Once you've used gummed tape, you'll never want to go back to plastic tape. They're pricey new...$325, but you can pick them up on our favorite platform <<<eBay>>> used for between $100-$200. The tape is stronger, and doesn't peel off in the cold like some plastic tapes can. It's cost effective too because you don't have to tape a heavy box with a gazillion layers. Often times commercial auction sites (like Grafe...just google it) liquidating commercial and industrial spaces will list them. I have five of them...all purchased on eBay...some over 60 years old...they are simple machines and practically indestructible community_team_3-1623432715418.png