cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I distinguish which threads I've already read?

The titles used to be darker/thicker on threads I had not yet read.  Now I see no difference.  

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

For me, it seems to fluctuate........sometimes it seems to work, other times not.....refreshing the page doesn't seem to help when it doesn't.

Haven't had the inclination to try to track it down... Khoros has so much to fix right now, adding something else just seems pointless.

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

Thanks, I thought there might be some new super secret indicator that everyone but me was aware of.

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

Its like the page numbers at the bottom disappearing. How does random functionality just "break"? If software is working, unless a deliberate change is made, it should never change. Did Khoros hire some ex-eBay software writers that randomly break programs so they can justify their jobs "fixing" it?

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

I usually look at the post count, anything under 10 I figure I would remember, more than that, I'm toast LOL

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 5 of 25
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

For me, it seems to fluctuate........sometimes it seems to work, other times not.....refreshing the page doesn't seem to help when it doesn't.

I see the same thing. It seems like most of the time the titles stay bold even if I've read them--until they don't. What seems to work for me is to use the "Mark all as Read" option after I've read the ones I'm interested in.

@fern*wood 

Thanks for starting a thread on this. I was tempted, but I already post one on the page numbers and one on the goofy date display . . .

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's pretty obvious to me...

bold.PNG

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

As posted by several others--myself included--sometimes the feature works, and sometimes it doesn't. Not everyone's experience on the Community Platform is the same.

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@eleanor*rigby wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

As posted by several others--myself included--sometimes the feature works, and sometimes it doesn't. Not everyone's experience on the Community Platform is the same.

Which is why I said "to me"

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

Yes, it used to appear that way for me too, but stopped a week or so ago. 

Thanks everyone.

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

@fern*wood 

It broke for me about the same time as the bottom numbers on each thread.

That is fixed today, for me at least..

Seems some coding was being done and a few things got broke-

Hopefully the "read thread" indicators will eventually be fixed as well. 

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

@eleanor*rigby wrote:
sometimes the feature works, and sometimes it doesn't.

The bold/unbold issue has been going on intermittently for a while. Sometimes read threads stay bold. I believe it ties back to the system lag we see often- where the number of replies on the forum page doesn't match the number of replies within a discussion, or the last poster shown on the forum page doesn't match the last post we see in the description. I think it was Rebecca that said the constant lags are due to the server which is hosted by Khoros, not eBay.

One issue that's constant and started when they changed the way replies work- so that the reply box appears within the thread instead of taking you to a new page- is that when you submit a reply it appears right under the post you replied to instead of appearing at the bottom of the discussion. The page doesn't 'properly' refresh when a post goes live. As a result- when you go back to the main forum- the system doesn't recognize what you just posted as a read post, so the topic stays bold.

We've brought this issue up several times, but I don't think it ever made it to sheila@ebay's fix list.

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

@coffeebean832 wrote:

@eleanor*rigby wrote:
sometimes the feature works, and sometimes it doesn't.

The bold/unbold issue has been going on intermittently for a while. Sometimes read threads stay bold. I believe it ties back to the system lag we see often- where the number of replies on the forum page doesn't match the number of replies within a discussion, or the last poster shown on the forum page doesn't match the last post we see in the description. I think it was Rebecca that said the constant lags are due to the server which is hosted by Khoros, not eBay.

One issue that's constant and started when they changed the way replies work- so that the reply box appears within the thread instead of taking you to a new page- is that when you submit a reply it appears right under the post you replied to instead of appearing at the bottom of the discussion. The page doesn't 'properly' refresh when a post goes live. As a result- when you go back to the main forum- the system doesn't recognize what you just posted as a read post, so the topic stays bold.

We've brought this issue up several times, but I don't think it ever made it to sheila@ebay's fix list.

FYI brian@ebay tyler@ebay- I don't think Sheila checks here that often and I thought this was worth tagging you.

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

I just used the "Mark All as Read" option on a board, and the immediate refresh still showed three thread titles in a bold font, indicating they had not been read. 

brittanie@ebay -- Calling you into the mix as well! 😊

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

It appears we have 3 distinct issues now-

1- Read discussions show unread because of Khoros' slow server- at least that's the explanation given in the past.

2- Discussions show unread when you're the last person to reply because of the new way replies work and pages not refreshing.

3- Not all posts are marked as read when you mark a forum as read.

Message 15 of 25
latest reply