cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why is ebay taking so much from my sales

they took 30 dollars from my sale that was 245! im not selling on ebay ever again! and if i do im charging extra! 

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: why is ebay taking so much from my sales

If this pertains to the following item, which based on your previous post you have yet to send, not sure you are grasping the fees correctly. If these were listed in the proper category as monroe67 stated the FVF's would only have been 8% on the total sale. You didn't provide a lot of details on the $30 breakdown so I am going to make a couple of assumptions. Assuming the item sold to a buyer in a state with a 8% sales tax, the posted shipping was $25 to the buyer making the total transaction cost to the buyer of $264.60 which is also the basis for the FVF. Applying that the FVF's should have been around $21.17. Not sure if the remainder is because you promoted the item or if it is the actual shipping cost, assuming you have now bought a label and shipped the item. 

Given your lack of attention to your sales it may be best if you do not continue to sell on eBay. Unless your focus changes it is highly likely eBay would have suspended your account at some point anyway. 

dbfolks166mt_0-1687720744733.png

Message 16 of 32
latest reply

A fool-proof way around paying so much for fees is to sell your items always for less than $5, or .99 if you can.  Boom! Your fees will drop.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 17 of 32
latest reply

You are lucky.  If I sold something for $245, after fees & taxes, they would have taken approximately $61 from my total.

Message 18 of 32
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

A fool-proof way around paying so much for fees is to sell your items always for less than $5, or .99 if you can.  Boom! Your fees will drop.

Reminds me of something my Grandpa used to say.

"I don't want to win the lottery. Do you know how much taxes I would have to pay?"

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 19 of 32
latest reply

You are lucky.  If I sold something for $245, after fees & taxes, they would have taken approximately $61 from my total.

Why so much? Are you below standard and paying additional fees or are you promoting at a high percentage?

Message 20 of 32
latest reply

Yes - I am below standard due to a faulty & inept postal service yet, who gets the blame? The sellers!  Currently have 3 negatives - all from buyers who received their item or got a refund.  1 of them has the item in their possession AND a refund.  Strike 3 against me, though!  

Message 21 of 32
latest reply

@cardxcraft wrote:

Or, check this out, what if Ebay wasn't greedy and lowered how much they squeeze us for.  See how that works?  Cool, huh.

I doubt their shareholders would appreciate that. 

Message 22 of 32
latest reply

Yes - I am below standard due to a faulty & inept postal service yet, who gets the blame? The sellers!  Currently have 3 negatives - all from buyers who received their item or got a refund.  1 of them has the item in their possession AND a refund.  Strike 3 against me, though!  

Tough situation to be in especially when you are not directly responsible. 

Message 23 of 32
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt ,

It was preventable. All the seller had to do was add tracking and add to the cost of shipping. I sell many items where the shipping costs is way more than the item itself into Canada. I charge $11.00 for tracked shipments to Canada. 

I could ship it as large flat item in between cardboard and the postage would be a lot less but no tracking.

Message 24 of 32
latest reply

They took 50 from my sale and I need to look at different routes because I do pay for printer ink for labels and I pay for boxes and I pay for the tape and I pay for the packing material. I pay for gas and maintaining my vehicle to get my packages out. I am calling it quits its just not worth it!

Message 25 of 32
latest reply

@destr_1775 wrote:

They took 50 from my sale and I need to look at different routes because I do pay for printer ink for labels and I pay for boxes and I pay for the tape and I pay for the packing material. I pay for gas and maintaining my vehicle to get my packages out. I am calling it quits its just not worth it!

@destr_1775 

Pricing of your items is your responsibility.  If you are not considering all your costs when you set a price on your listing, that is in no way Ebay's issue.  That is a you issue.

As for shipping.  If you are using USPS Ground Advantage, a different site is not going to get you a better rate than here on Ebay.  Some other sites may get a little better rate on other carriers or USPS Priority Mail service, you just need to shop around.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 26 of 32
latest reply

@destr_1775 wrote:

Selling on eBay is not free.

Message 27 of 32
latest reply

I don’t like fees either my friend, but eBay has a whole multi-billion retail platform and a whole staff they gotta pay to over see/maintenience/improve said platform. 

considering our choices of sellers platforms - eBay is one of the most reasonable when it comes to the fees. Or you go sit outside in the whether at flea markets or yard sales …. 

eBay doesn’t mind losing one invaluable seller. Independently were as insignificant to eBay as one customer threatening to quit Sam’s club lol. 

calm down - and next time read the fine print my friend. 

Message 28 of 32
latest reply

@destr_1775 wrote:

The good news is, there is no law requiring you to sell on eBay.

You're Free to Go.

I have to ask, though... you've got a lot of listings...You didn't check on eBay's fees when you listed them? You listed blind?  Wow.

Message 29 of 32
latest reply

why is ebay taking so much from my sales

They are not.

They are taking exactly what they are supposed to take.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 30 of 32
latest reply