cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what in the heck is going on?

What in the heck has happened to ebay? seriously, It used to be a great selling platform. We did great on here and loved it for 18 years.   It was fun to shop and sell. Then in 2014 with  cassini, things took a nose dive. We waited three years and literally gave up. Moved to another CRAFT site. Which was great for awhile.  Now it seems a ceo from ebay has been hired there, and things have declined . Such as views. The site has also become clutterd up, and miserable.    We have been sold out to overseas sellers. Shame shame, How pathetic! any thoughts?

Message 1 of 61
latest reply
60 REPLIES 60

Everything cycles.  Some things pick back up, others have simply run their course.

You only have 2 items listed so it is hard to judge.

But collectibles have taken a nose dive everywhere.

Message 2 of 61
latest reply

I know Emerald, but I will pick it up when I see proof of any action on here. I'm waiting,  Over the last three years we have experimented with everything. Still nothing. When and if that ever happens, I will be right there. Until then, it's a waste of time.  I think many of us remember the good ol days, and cannot psycologically admit it has sunk this low. But it has.

Message 3 of 61
latest reply

The playing field has changed, so the rules also have changed. You need to keep up on the new policies in order to be successful here. 

Message 4 of 61
latest reply

@plumbingspecials wrote:

The playing field has changed, so the rules also have changed. You need to keep up on the new policies in order to be successful here. 

Hard to keep up with new policies when half of them are so secret that on a few know about them!

Just heard about the forced Best Offer for new and occasional sellers where eBay decides if an offer is lowball and rejects it. Sellers are slowly losing control of Fixed Price Listings.

Message 5 of 61
latest reply

@grasshopperx wrote:

I know Emerald, but I will pick it up when I see proof of any action on here. I'm waiting,  Over the last three years we have experimented with everything. Still nothing. When and if that ever happens, I will be right there. Until then, it's a waste of time.  I think many of us remember the good ol days, and cannot psycologically admit it has sunk this low. But it has.

The good ole days when ebay had no competition.  You could buy something from pretty much anywhere in the world.

Now everyone has a computer and pretty much every B&M store has a website.  And especially with new erchandise, why pay a middleman when you can go right to the source.

As far as vintage, we old folk are downsizing.  And the younger generation is just not interested in collecting things like we did.

Message 6 of 61
latest reply

EBay has no desire to be in the small seller business (i.e. used items). They want big box sellers. Funny thing is, eBay was founded on selling a "used" laser pen (and it was even broken at that!). It typically does not turn out well for the company when businesses try and rebrand themselves.

Message 7 of 61
latest reply

@grasshopperx wrote:

What in the heck has happened to ebay? seriously, It used to be a great selling platform. We did great on here and loved it for 18 years.   It was fun to shop and sell. Then in 2014 with  cassini, things took a nose dive. We waited three years and literally gave up. Moved to another CRAFT site. Which was great for awhile.  Now it seems a ceo from ebay has been hired there, and things have declined . Such as views. The site has also become clutterd up, and miserable.    We have been sold out to overseas sellers. Shame shame, How pathetic! any thoughts?

The CRAFT site of which you seek is seeing its stock tank and is weeding out sellers who dont sell enough, who get 3 disputes in 18 months and is letting the Chinese sellers flood them with cheap non craft cwap - often items they copied from other ACTUAL craftsmen over there.  There are many "vintage" items being sold that were made last month. One or two pairs of "Victorian Antique" earrings maybe but 300? and all identical and in mint condition?  What are the odds? And from Shanghai?  Uh no.

Message 8 of 61
latest reply

We always said in the old days that if what we wanted was at the mall we would have bought it there. Now the odds are that ONLY Ebay has it because the malls arent even in competition with Ebay - their stuff is ugly and badly made of cheap materials but STILL priced like the old days.  I havent bought from a mall store in about 3 years now.  Amazon is also becoming like the malls.  The same junk but at least we dont have to leave the house.

Message 9 of 61
latest reply

i feel the same way. It seems nobody really likes this site any more. Everybody i know shops at other online venues and my favorite sellers have all dissapeared. Its sad and worrysome. If our products are not beeing seen there is no way to make sales. I rarely buy here anymore myself because its too overrun with stuff from china.

Message 10 of 61
latest reply

@readabouthorses

@readabouthorses wrote:

@plumbingspecials wrote:

Hard to keep up with new policies when half of them are so secret that on a few know about them!

Just heard about the forced Best Offer for new and occasional sellers where eBay decides if an offer is lowball and rejects it. Sellers are slowly losing control of Fixed Price Listings.

Okay, that's a new one for me on the B.O. comment ...that statement makes no sense because what I see is that the venue tries to drive prices to rock bottom so the site can compete with other online sales venues not really caring much for the individual Sellers' profit margin.  So in that comment, if Home Office decides a BO is too low from the Buyer are you saying THEY reject it and the Seller neve sees it?  With the latest expansion fro 3 to 10 B.O.s back and forth between the two parties to me that means more haggling, or more opportunities for the buyer to try and get a price down ... NOW, if you were to say that the new Best Offer acceptence was going to be controlled by Home Office, meaning a Buyer makes an offer and Home Office decides sure, that works and Accepts if for the Seller THEN that would be totally out of control ...

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 11 of 61
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

@grasshopperx wrote:

The good ole days when ebay had no competition.  You could buy something from pretty much anywhere in the world.

Now everyone has a computer and pretty much every B&M store has a website.  And especially with new erchandise, why pay a middleman when you can go right to the source.

As far as vintage, we old folk are downsizing.  And the younger generation is just not interested in collecting things like we did.

I started collecting vintage clothing, books, and photos when I was 18 in 1998. I still love to collect the clothes and books at 37, but the prices on vintage clothing has skyrocketed for anything good. I'm seeing bellbottom jeans that would have gone for $25 in 2007 listed at $200 now. I don't have the money to spare and sellers aren't budging, most are moving their prices even further up the chart. 

Message 12 of 61
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

@readabouthorses

@readabouthorses wrote:

@plumbingspecials wrote:

Okay, that's a new one for me on the B.O. comment ...that statement makes no sense because what I see is that the venue tries to drive prices to rock bottom so the site can compete with other online sales venues not really caring much for the individual Sellers' profit margin.  So in that comment, if Home Office decides a BO is too low from the Buyer are you saying THEY reject it and the Seller neve sees it?  With the latest expansion fro 3 to 10 B.O.s back and forth between the two parties to me that means more haggling, or more opportunities for the buyer to try and get a price down ... NOW, if you were to say that the new Best Offer acceptence was going to be controlled by Home Office, meaning a Buyer makes an offer and Home Office decides sure, that works and Accepts if for the Seller THEN that would be totally out of control ...

@mr_lincoln

I just found out about this Best Offer thing yesterday on the Ebay For Business Facebook page. Someone asked about it and an Ebay rep responded with the info on the fact that Ebay would reject lowball offers. When I pushed for what they considered lowball they claimed like a $1.00 offer on a $100 item. I could not get a good response on whether the seller actually even knew about this offer that ebay rejected on the seller's behalf. It just make me so upset that I said my piece on that Facebook post and then had to get out of there to cool down. I just don't feel comfortable anymore even doing Fixed Price with the FORCED Immediate Payment Required and now this FORCED Best Offer ... what's next? I'm not sure I want to even stay here anymore as a seller.

Message 13 of 61
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

@grasshopperx wrote:

There has always been competition, and always will be competition. Competition is a good thing overall. Just look at the diamond district of NY, and other business clusters. They help bring in the buyers from all over. 

As for generational collecting. There never is any major collecting base among the young. They're too interested in their friends, hanging out, and doing stuff with their money that's entertaining. There are a few that will collect stuff here and there, but that's usually it. People tend to forget their past.

People don't really start collecting until they are older and settled down, and get to the point that they want to latch on to many of their past memories. Then they start to collect. Some more than others also. Then when they really get old, they tend to shed the collection and box it up, as they look to become uncluttered, and downsize. They want to travel and get too, enjoy entertaining themselves once again, before they no longer can. They come full circle.

Message 14 of 61
latest reply

@mr_lincoln

I went back and checked and it was actually Sunday that I first saw it on the Ebay For Business Facebook page. Heidi was the one who responded to the person's post about it and then there was another post about the same thing from someone else. It does make you wonder how many other "surprises" do they have for us? Wonder how much "new stuff" will get shopped around at Ebay Open?

Message 15 of 61
latest reply