cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

undercut by knock offs

I sell Victoria's Secret Panties. There is a relatively new seller that is selling the same panties but they are definitely knock offs.  First off,  this is from their description " I purchased these from outlet distributer so these are '2nds, and the labels have been partially snipped. However, all embellishments are fully intact, and no significant defects exist. The garment tags have been de-labeled by me to prevent store returns. Factory 2nds are new products with either a minor stitching error, slight discoloration, or a small fabric imperfection reinforced at the factory."

Victoria's Secret never sells any panties without tags attached. They come in the sealed plastic bags with tags attached. The only time you have a Victoria's Secret panty without a tag is when it is part of a panty set. Secondly I was searching for wholesale Victoria's Secret panties when I stumbled across the vendor they got them from. They are sold on AliExpress for $6.40 . The seller even used the same exact photos that were in the AliExpress site.

I tried to notify ebay in the 70 characters allowed. I identified the ebay seller said they were selling knock-offs  and gave them a link to the AliExpress ad. Finally I said look at the background. The background was exactly the same as the AliExpress ad. in the AliExpress ad the panties were sitting on a white fur with a brass dish a newspaper article and a flower in the background. That is definitely not a coincidence that the pictures on eBay were exact. 

I had hoped eBay would do something about this, but they don't seem to care.  There is only so low you can lower your prices to stay competitive. These fakes are selling at prices I would have to pay so it is just impossible to compete. Please does anyone know what can done? 

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: undercut by knock offs

That is the story the seller made up. His story is as fake as his product.  Which can easily be proven.  He has the same exact photo and sizes and colors and size charts as AliExpress.

Message 16 of 24
latest reply

I don't pay attention to people selling cheaper items in my category.  I set my own prices.  You should use the energy on improving your business and your self.  Good luck on your selling journey.

Message 17 of 24
latest reply

It is not VS stock photos or VS size charts they are using. It is AliExpress stock photos and size charts. Also VS does not use cm they use inches. Also no one in the United States that wears a size medium has a 24 inch low waist. Also why no size smalls. It is because AliExpress does not have a size small listed. AliExpress does not represent them as seconds either. I don't want to argue I was actually hoping for advice and I did get a couple of very good suggestions .  

Message 18 of 24
latest reply

As suggested, the only way to possibly have the items removed is to contact VS who then in turn would have to contact eBay.  eBay is not going to assume that you are correct about them being counterfeit. They don't have the knowledge to know for sure or or the manpower to investigate.

Message 19 of 24
latest reply

@pegasus32 wrote:

Please does anyone know what can done? 

eBay is not an expert on identifying knock-offs or about whether Victoria's Secret sells de-labeled panties or not.

And they certainly aren't going to punish a seller because a third party who admits to being a competitor wants them to.

The proper course of action is for you to contact Victoria's Secret so they can use eBay's VERO process to report the listings if they so choose.

Message 20 of 24
latest reply

@nanniestreasurechest wrote:

Victoria Secrets is manufactured in Vietnam, United States, Sri Lanka, Indonesia and China.  So just because these seconds are coming from China doesn't necessarily mean they are counterfeit.   I have to agree with @soh.maryl that seconds doesn't mean counterfeit.   The seller plainly states they are seconds and the tags are snipped.  As a buyer I would have no problem purchasing from this seller.   Selling seconds is not illegal.    Years ago, when the USA manufactured more clothing, I worked in the clothing factories.  Seconds were always packed up and sold to other venues.  Sometimes even the factory would have a sale on the seconds and open it to the public. 

It is often the case that the "fakes" come from the exact same factory as the originals with many items. The 3rd party manufacturer fills the order from the real brand and then also cranks outs out the "fakes" as well. 

Message 21 of 24
latest reply

What Tiger says is true - there are a lot of items sold through the back door, so to speak, and hawked on various websites like Ali.  However, there is still brand violation and the other seller may be using the 'seconds' paragraph (which, BTW, is generic text) to cover their use of Ali products masquerading as Vicky Secret. 

If VS is not VeRO, would email VS themslves - try to find their legal department and let them deal with it, if they do.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 22 of 24
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

What Tiger says is true - there are a lot of items sold through the back door, so to speak, and hawked on various websites like Ali.  However, there is still brand violation and the other seller may be using the 'seconds' paragraph (which, BTW, is generic text) to cover their use of Ali products masquerading as Vicky Secret. 

If VS is not VeRO, would email VS themslves - try to find their legal department and let them deal with it, if they do.

That however is an endless battle that won't actually increase sales, and has the small chance of VS just coming in blazing and calling everything they see counterfeit.

When I find myself competing against bootlegs I tend to put something like "REAL OEM" in the title, and then in the very first sentence of the listing explain how to spot the fakes. I have been very successful doing this, however I am not selling clothes. I feel like a lot of people wouldn't care if they had knock off underwear as it is unlikely anyone would ever see it who could tell or would care.

Message 23 of 24
latest reply

The way I see it is the seller is being honest and letting buyers know exactly what they are paying for. The seller you speak of is NOT your competition. A buyer can choose the "real deal" from you at a premium price, OR the buyer can choose to buy a knockoff at a lower price.

Message 24 of 24
latest reply