cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tracking shows ITEM DELIVERED, buyer left negative feedback claiming he didnt get it

hey guys

so i send this 450$ item to a buyer, tracking show item was delivered, but buyer claims he didnt get it and he wasnt home when the postman put if infront of his door.

i asked ebay to delete this feedback and they REFUSE time after time.

telling me to talk to the buyer and so on...

how is it possible? when tracking shoes DELIVERED they have to delete the feedback no?

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: tracking shows ITEM DELIVERED, buyer left negative feedback claiming he didnt get it

@cmen222 wrote:

the buyer has not decided to open a case in ebay rather call his credit company.

my question is if he opens a case in ebay or paypal will he win? i sell for years with this type of method of tracking number and never got a problem.

i also called his country post company and they confirmed items was delivered.

why is it suppose to be my problem that someone stole it/ he is lying?

If your buyer opens a chargeback with credit company you will win once you show the item was delivered.    Postal carriers normally know folks on their route and if you shipped using an Ebay label the address is correct.  I still stand by my thinking that it is up to the buyer to secure their package once delivered.  Most check the tracking daily in wait.  If sellers have to be responsible for getting a delivered item into their buyers hands then selling online will become a joke.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 7 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: tracking shows ITEM DELIVERED, buyer left negative feedback claiming he didnt get it

First and foremost for any high value items, which I don't sell that many of, I use a signature required at delivery when I ship the item. It is possible the item was stolen from the users front door, this seems to be on the upswing. The buyer is probably going to open an INR case with eBay and eBay is going to refund his/her money. They are probably not going to remove the negative feedback as it kind of falls within eBay's policies regarding buyer protection. Sorry this happened to you but this is probably not going to work out well for you. 

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

I am not positive but I don't think the feedback has to be deleted.

While tracking might show an item was delivered it is possible it could have been delivered to the wrong address or if delivered to the correct address that someone stole the package from in front of the buyer's door (this is a common problem in some places) or the buyer is not telling the truth. 

You might want to require signature confirmation when you ship items of a certain value in the future. I did this once in the case of a new buyer who registered the same day they purchased my item and had zero feedback.  The item sold for about $70.  My listing did not indicate that signature confirmation would be required but I let the buyer know when I sent them the tracking information that signature confirmation was being requested and there was no additional charge to them for the service.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Sorry this happened to you but this is probably not going to work out well for you. 

Why would you say that?   Buyers have to realize that a seller cannot possibly know how their buyer receives their mail.   I agree signature confirmation is worth the extra couple bucks even on my dime but once an item shows delivered IMO the sellers' work is done.   The negative was left for Item Not Received.   If they open a case for Item Not As Described I would be on the horn to Ebay and appeal.  Oh and yes sellers, cases are NOT automatically found in buyer favor.   Feedback is buyer opinion so yeah ebay leaves it in place.   OP could respond with Tracking Shows Delivered and it should not hurt their sales.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Tracking can show delivered and the buyer still may not have gotten the item........it would behoove you to understand that and not fly off the handle at the buyer.

How many of us have gotten misdelivered packages TO us?  Yep, tracking shows delivered, but postman goofed.Also, package could have been received by a family member and "put somewhere" without informing the buyer.

That said......best answer to a neg for NR is the one you gave..........  Tracking shows delivered...  Unfortunately, you really messed up when you called the buyer a fraud........that makes you look bad.......

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

the buyer has not decided to open a case in ebay rather call his credit company.

my question is if he opens a case in ebay or paypal will he win? i sell for years with this type of method of tracking number and never got a problem.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

@cmen222 wrote:

If your buyer opens a chargeback with credit company you will win once you show the item was delivered.    Postal carriers normally know folks on their route and if you shipped using an Ebay label the address is correct.  I still stand by my thinking that it is up to the buyer to secure their package once delivered.  Most check the tracking daily in wait.  If sellers have to be responsible for getting a delivered item into their buyers hands then selling online will become a joke.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

i called ebay costumer support and they removed the feedback!

apparently the costumer service via contact email is horrible.

the phone costumer support is way better!

thx for all the help

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Recently there has been an uptick in missing/stolen packages or mis-delivered/damaged items, by no fault of the buyer.

Have you considered filing an item not received through the post office?

Buyer contacted me saying item states delivered/left on front porch but they swore they did not get it. Said they checked with neighbors and their local post office before contacting me and asked me what I was going to do about it?! First, I was like you, suspicion crept in and I asked her what she would like me to do as it states item WAS delivered?! She asked if I could file a claim? I thought that would be on the buyer but found out that either party in a transaction can/could do this.

Long story short, solution was so easy! Went to USPS, clicked FILE CLAIM and entered some basic information. In (kid you not) LESS than a week my claim had been accepted and I received a refund check from USPS! Staying in touch with the buyer, keeping her updated throughout this whole process, I was able to refund her and we both left this transaction on good terms and satisfied.

Lesson learned is that “**bleep** happens” and we can not jump to conclusions! As a seller myself, I know we sure do hear a lot of bull and can get jaded from the whole selling experience! I’ve had my share of phone calls to eBay reps and difficult buyers! We can’t take it personally! I know ... Easier said than done!

As far as negative feedback, leave tracking number in reciprocal feedback and move on. Potential buyers won’t give it a second thought.

FYI: You must have USPS account and package must be insured, either by default priority/express mail or purchased

Hope this helps ... if not with this purchase, any future “lost” mail!

Much success,

Sabrina

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

@doubledz-a2z wrote:

@cmen222 wrote:

The seller won't necessarily win just because the carrier indicates the item was delivered. That is a decision that credit card companies make on a case by case basis. For example,  I ordered sneakers from an online auction company and the carrier (UPS) indicated the item was delivered. The only problem is I never received the sneakers. I contacted the company and their response was the carrier indicated the package was delivered so they were not going to give me a refund or replace the sneakers.

I paid for the sneakers with a credit card so I contacted my credit card company and filed a dispute. The credit card company removed the charge from my account (I didn't have to pay for the sneakers).  Several factors helped my case; the first being that the carrier indicated the package was left behind a bush and there were no bushes around my home. Also, I had been a card holder for many years and never once filed a dispute to say I didn't receive something I ordered so I didn't (and still don't) have a history of filing disputes with my credit card company for things like this.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

As a buyer, and with lots of experience with the post office, just because the package says 'delivered' doesn't actually mean that it was delivered to the correct location - even though the address may be correct.  We have packages misdelivered all the time.  Most of the time, within a few days, they show up either redelivered by the post office or someone walks the package down to our location.   One key to find out where the package was actually delivered is to ask the post office what the GPS coordinates are on the delivery ticket.  Your online information will not show this.  Every tracked package is supposed to have delivery coordinates, and many times our misdeliveries show another suite in our complex via the GPS coordinates.  I know there are people that are dishonest, but misdeliveries do happen.  But, you have to do a little research to get more detailed information.  It's not necessarily the seller's fault per se, but when you ship via postal service, it does seem to be a riskier service than UPS or FedEx.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

"If sellers responsible"

Yeah that's how amazon rolls its so difficult to win cases on that platform I lose thousands selling on amazon's platform because of this 😂 

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Zombie Thread. OP is over 2 years old

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt 

And the OP hasn't sold anything in that time frame either. 

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding. 

Message 15 of 15
latest reply