cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

scam buyers credit card disputes

Hi guys, some months ago we had some transactions made from scam people, he bought our item, some days ago he sent pictures showing item received through ebay messages, everything was ok at that moment, however one day later customer open a dispute in ebay, some weeks ago  ebay closed the case in buyers favor, no matter i added conversation showing customer said received the item.

after appeal, ebay said cannot do anything because dispute was opened from financial institution.

i think this is a scam,  may be customer after receive the item report a fraud in the financial institution 

after that we decided to retire from ebay more than 70% of our inventory. now im thinking about continue or not selling in ebay.

so guys my question is :  there is any way to avoid this scam customers?

there is any service or insurrance we can pay to be covered from scams?

as we know ebay is very good way to sell products but scams are now taking advantage or that and ebay not doing anything to protect sellers.

any help will be welcome!

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

It's all part of selling online. Most buyers are honest. If someone wants to find a way to get free stuff, they will. 

Your choice is to accept this risk and continue selling or not accept it and not sell. 

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

@noxautoaccessoriesrd   there is no way to avoid them unless they give obvious signals, such as>

asking to do transactions/messaging/etc outside of ebay

registered address on their ebay acct is invalid/suspicious/etc

asking weird/inappropriate questions/etc

and so on ...

here is a read from eBay staff re chargebacks>

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Suggestions-that-may-be-helpful-to-handle-disputes-and/m-p/336...

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

You can't avoid scam customers on eBay.

If you supply tracking code you should be protected even when there is chargeback, therr are some limitations:

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/payment-dispute-seller-protections?id=5293

Buyers can also abuse item not as described claim and ship back something else you shipped to them, you will also pay that shipping.

If you want to be more certain that you are not going to be scammed when selling, don't sell on ebay.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

You didn't provide a lot of detail regarding the chargeback, type, how you responded, so difficult to assess why you lost the chargeback. NAD chargebacks are almost impossible for the seller to win but INR's and purchase not recognized cases can be won by the seller if the chargeback is responded to correctly. 

There is NO way to avoid scammers 100% of the time it's been a part of ecommerce for quite some time. Always go by the #1 seller rule which is NEVER list anything on eBay you are not willing to take a loss on. There are certain categories of items that are high value targets for scammers. Things like cell phones, electronics, precious metals, currency and coins that I personally would never list on eBay there are too many other options/alternatives where the risk is lower or non-existent. 

There are some companies out there that will insure businesses against chargebacks but I have never looked into any of them but you can simply google it. 

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Yes friend i perfectly understand that, take risk is number one rule of any entrepreneur.

My dude is about eBay, i know ebay mostly inclined in buyers favor, however in my case have very strong evidence of the scam and eBay just ignore it.

Anyway thank you for your help!

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@noxautoaccessoriesrd wrote:

Hi guys, some months ago we had some transactions made from scam people...after appeal, ebay said cannot do anything because dispute was opened from financial institution.

after that we decided to retire from ebay more than 70% of our inventory. now im thinking about continue or not selling in ebay.

as we know ebay is very good way to sell products but scams are now taking advantage or that and ebay not doing anything to protect sellers.

DO NOT UNDERSTAND how Paypal was able to win every case I ever had involving a Financial Institution(3 to be exact), yet ebay cannot seem to do anything to help and then charges you for the non-help they give...Thanks ebay - doing a Bang-up job as usual...

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

thats right, before takes any action paypal perform a very exhaust investigation, ebay only say they cannot do anything due to the claim was from financial institution.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

DO NOT UNDERSTAND how Paypal was able to win every case I ever had involving a Financial Institution(3 to be exact), yet ebay cannot seem to do anything to help and then charges you for the non-help they give...Thanks ebay - doing a Bang-up job as usual...

Not sure what type of chargebacks you had involving PayPal but I agree things were a bit different when PayPal handled the chargeback possibly because it was a financial institution to financial institution and PayPal had resources to handle the chargebacks. EBay could easily do the same and put resources towards the problem but they refuse to do so probably because it cuts into the bottom line. 

I sell on a number of other forums and chargebacks reflect poorly on the buyers especially if the buyer has bypassed the internal processes on those forums. As a side note the processing fee is charged by the CC company to the seller if they loose the chargeback. 

At one time eBay was handling the purchase not recognized type of chargebacks internally and simply notifying the seller that the buyer had opened a chargeback but not requiring any action. There were several posts regarding those types of chargebacks but a recent post on this forum indicates that they may not be doing that any longer. INR chargebacks are generally easy for the seller to win if they can provide proof of delivery. It's the NAD chargebacks that are a killer and a scammers dream. The buyer will almost always win the chargeback, get fully refunded and allowed to keep the item. The seller gets hit with the full refund but is still required to pay the FVF's which just twists the knife. 

One thing that will be interesting to watch is the EIS program which provides the seller with protection from chargebacks. It would be interesting to know how much more aggressive eBay becomes in fighting the chargebacks since it is now their $'s on the line. But since that is internal to eBay probably not something they will ever disclose. I opted into the EIS program and opened up international sales to almost every country worldwide. Something I did not do under GSP due to the risk associated with several countries known scamming efforts. 

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

If it's for lots of money I would take them to court. I have seen cases on TV where a seller took a scammer to court and won. 

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

I've been selling on eBay since 2000.  When the return policy changed in 2008 I quit selling internationally since I didn't want to get stuck paying for return shipping and there wasn't any guarantee that you would get your merchandise back after sending the buyer money for the return shipping expense.  I still weathered the occasional ripoffs typically on electronic goods so I quit selling them here.  When eBay's managed payment system took over from PayPal I noticed an increase in charge back claims being reported.  When PayPal Managed our funds we were protected from charge back disputes such as items not received, or unauthorized transactions as long as you could prove that you shipped and delivered to the address on the account.  I have noticed that there's been an increase in charge back claims where sellers lose both their item and their money.   Therefore, I do check out my buyers before shipping to see if I can spot any red flags.   I wouldn't hesitate to cancel an order that looks risky or is to be shipped to  a certain FF in New Castle Delaware.  Due to changes in the last few years I no longer sell anything of real value on eBay.  Instead, I sell those locally for cash or Zelle.   However, I'm  able do this because eBay isn't my only source of income.  I still use PayPal for hobby related items that I sell locally or through Facebook. 

I do believe that your average buyer is honest.  With that said I'm still no longer willing to take risks selling valuable items on eBay simply because there isn't any protection.   I do not understand why a banking institution isn't willing to consider tracking evidence from a seller that allows a buyer to get their money back and keep your merchandise as well.  In the very least they should require the buyer to return the merchandise before they are issued a credit.  Some years back I filed a charge back for a dress I purchased on eBay where the seller refused to accept a return.  Apparently he used a stock photo to advertise this Mandalay dress.  The dress I received was hideous, and wasn't even the same name brand.  My credit card company ruled in my favor, but I had to return the dress with proof of delivery before my account  was credited. It seems that has changed in recent years.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

there is any way to avoid this scam customers?

No.

there is any service or insurrance we can pay to be covered from scams?

Not that I know of.  IMHO that would make it too easy for a seller and his friend to scam the insurance company.

but scams are now taking advantage or that and ebay not doing anything to protect sellers

eBay cannot protect you from a charge back from a financial institution unless eBay takes the loss.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply