cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

refund for sellers

I sold a lock out tool kit and when the person received it on 1-2-2024 he was mad saying it wasn't the brand that he thought and only half the tools arrived.  Stated the carrier marked the box as damaged because it clearly shows that someone opened the box and attempted to tape it back. He started a refund within 24hrs and will not respond to my messages. I've apologized several times in the 4 messages I sent but still no response, all I'm trying to do is find out exactly what was in the box and see if he wants to keep it and get a partial refund. The photos I used to list the tools are clear in hd so u can see all the detail like the design of the tools and the names, info etc. printed on them.  He obviously saw exactly what they were and saw that of the 21pc 13, 14 were of the brand he's referring too and the rest were of a different brand, not generic just another companies tools.  I don't know how to go about getting the $100 insurance (which is only part of the $187.00 I'm refunding him) . Also how to I get the tools or whats left back? Do I pay for the return shipping? The fees that ebay charges does that get refund bake to me or am I out that $40 on top of the $187.00 ? Out of the sale I was paid $146.00 and the shipping came from that so I cleared $104.00 around there. I've refunded in the past but nothing over $67.00 and that was for an item I sold but by the time it was purchased I  couldn't find it, still haven't assuming they were stolen.  It was cut n dry no labels purchased or damaged reports to file the other one was under $20 so I let them keep the item, one was for an item I know 100% worked because I made sure and put new batteries in it, the guy claimed it didn't work and after I cleared his refund he stop responding to my messages so I let him keep the item, an item I know was working. Am I being scammed because I've seen and read stories of people doing things like this order something and when it arrives they claim somethings wrong and wan a refund knowing the seller will most likely let them have the item due to the fact it'll cost more to return it then what it's worth especially with them being out fee's , shipping to and from etc.? Any help or advice with this will be greatly appreciated. Also what is a good number to call to speak to a real person at ebay? Thank u for ur help

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: refund for sellers

Did the buyer show any photos of damage to package? Buyer doesn't need to show photos but sometimes helps to understand the situation. If photos were shown buyer could be telling the truth.

In any case, you will have to refund...otherwise eBay will refund for you and buyer keeps the items. You could send an eBay shipping label to get returned what's left.

Insurance is for a lost package...not for damage of a package. 

Checking this "buyer" from previous their feedback...how new buyer is...their related buying history might help sometimes in regards if you are getting scanned.

Calling customer service will be of no help.

I would stop with emails to buyer...that makes it worse...have to think about that feedback rating from this buyer.

Sounds like a "cut and dry" refund to buyer.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

You really should read eBay's online help about how returns work.

That aside .. a few random points:

If your buyer filed a dispute, you are responsible for paying return shipping if you accept the dispute and want the item back.

And if your buyer filed a dispute, you need to respond to the dispute within the time allotted or eBay will automatically rule against you.

If your buyer filed a dispute, the buyer is not obligated to respond to your messages and if you wait too long you will lose the dispute automatically. 

The cost of shipping to the buyer and the cost of return shipping will not be magically refunded to you. That money was paid the the shipping carrier.

You are responsible for filing an insurance claim with the carrier. Your buyer has no incentive to do it because eBay's Money Back Guarantee already has him covered.

If the set of tool was a mixed bag of different brands, this should have been clearly spelled out in the description and not assumed from the pictures. (I can't seem to see the listing to see what it looked like).

We can't give you a number to call at eBay. And calling will not really do you any good because customer support reps do not decide disputes. And they do not have a reputation for looking out for a seller's best interests.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Insurance is for a lost package...not for damage of a package. 

Insurance is for damaged packages also. Problem is, you won't get anywhere with that as you won't be able to prove it - the buyer would need to help with that and it seems there will be no chance of that. Send the return label and get * something * back before you refund. If you get back an empty box or not everything you shipped, you can report the buyer.

If the carrier marked the box as damaged, then that should reflect on the tracking.

It sounds like previous times you have refunded before getting a return. Do NOT do this. No Return, no refund. Period.

Did the buyer open a case or just message you? If they just messaged, tell them to open a claim and you will issues a return label.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

he started a refund. Send the label and refund when package arrives back.
Done.

If something is wrong (a tool is missing) and they buyer says a tool is missing (you can work with that buyer and figure something out).
If something is wrong (a tool is missing) and the buyers says that, and poor packaging, and a tool is scratched, and, and, and.  (you can't work out anything with this buyer.  Return for Refund)

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Correction: You usually ONLY win for lost packages. 

Why waste time trying to claim for a damaged package?

Time is short during the winter months. Daylight time that is.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

USPS generally isn't looking to cover a sales price on insurance claims.  I've went through this more than a handful of times in the past including shipments to an US Embassy via orders from the US State Department.  They look to cover cost of goods shipped not valuation of sale price generally speaking.  If you buy something for $10 and sell it for $100 what stops that from being a common mechanism of fraud with the USPS?  People could run scams left and right against a model like that.  They seek to make the shipper whole, not make the shipper money.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote

(I can't seem to see the listing to see what it looked like).

I couldn't either.  Why is that?

Message 9 of 9
latest reply