cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Pay by" date. Is this new?

Bought an auction item on April 23. When I went to my purchase history, the item had a notice in bold red lettering to "Pay by April 26."

I realize that's within the required time frame for payment,  but past purchases used to say some version of "Pay Now" to receive your item. Why would eBay suggest otherwise, especially in light of recent efforts to limit non-payment?

I always pay immediately, but stating a 3-day grace period would give some buyers an excuse to change their mind, look for a cheaper alternative, etc. Anyone else seeing this?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Was the note from eBay or was it a note from the seller?

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

@lux.ra_14 wrote:

Bought an auction item on April 23. When I went to my purchase history, the item had a notice in bold red lettering to "Pay by April 26."

I realize that's within the required time frame for payment,  but past purchases used to say some version of "Pay Now" to receive your item. Why would eBay suggest otherwise, especially in light of recent efforts to limit non-payment?

I always pay immediately, but stating a 3-day grace period would give some buyers an excuse to change their mind, look for a cheaper alternative, etc. Anyone else seeing this?

While you see this as a negative that provides buyers with an excuse not to pay, I see it as a positive that reminds buyers they are obligated to pay and reminds them of the time frame.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@heckofagame 

It was from eBay on the purchase history page, not a note from the seller. 

@luckythewinner 

I think most sellers, myself included, would agree that telling a buyer it's fine to hold off paying for three days isn't a positive. I don't see how it squares with eBay efforts to cut down on non-payers. I can't recall any sellers ever saying that buyers who don't pay right away are their ideal customers.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I don't see how it squares with eBay efforts to cut down on non-payers.

@lux.ra_14 

It may be a message related to a listing that the seller has employed the "auto-cancel" after so many days feature, as opposing to using the "manual" feature.  Don't know though for certain. 

eBay has apparently been "rethinking" their stance on auctions that resulted in any sort of "auto-pay when the listing ended".  eBay even removed the "buyer requirement" that forced a buyer to put up a payment source in order to BID because it was likely even more unpopular with buyers than the auto-pay for offers that still limits a buyer's payment options and eliminates combined orders for one shipping price for multiple items from the same seller. 

eBay's "efforts" at cutting down on non-payers have been somewhat questionable, often changing without notice to users, and focused on programs that served to increase ebay's take as opposed to sanctioning those that did not pay. 

One of the plans that seems to have been abandoned at this point was to limit auction wins to a few days to pay (I think it was three) so combined shipping could be arranged before auto-billing commenced.  That required the seller to require the buyer put in a payment source up front, but that is no longer possible. 

I bid on auctions, and start  getting "pay now" messages right away and continuously, even when I am waiting on a combined invoice.  I will pay attention though, and let you know if I see what you are discussing in my purchase history.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

This is how I feel about it.

Buyers know or should know before buying how long they have to pay.

I already know that some buyers will wait until the last day to pay so if I want payment sooner I will make it immediate payment required.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

I don't see how it squares with eBay efforts to cut down on non-payers

If a buyer does not want an item, then no message eBay puts on a screen is going to get that buyer to pay. IMHO the buyers eBay is targeting with this message are the lazy or forgetful buyers who still want the item, but have not remembered or bothered to pay. And IMHO a red warning with a deadline is a good way to get their attention and play on their guilty conscience.

I can't recall any sellers ever saying that buyers who don't pay right away are their ideal customers.

Neither do I. But I do recall many sellers saying they would rather be paid before they have to file a non-payment dispute than having to file one.

I think a red warning message with a deadline will encourage payment, and you think it will encourage non-payment. Those are just different of opinions that are both based on speculation.

eBay is really the only one with the ability to measure the success of that banner across the entire site, and whether it results in better overall compliance.  

Message 7 of 7
latest reply