cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pricing on ebay

I have always sold (books, media) on both ebay and Amazon and I have now quit Amazon. This is  having a huge impact on my listings here because I've always priced here based on what I've priced on Amazon.

I have started working on this by checking the items I have most recently listed and it's a bloodbath. Finding stuff that can't be listed here for money and most things need repricing based on prices here. I have a big job ahead of me. 

I have  started gutting my inventory, stripping out everything I can't list here for XYZ reasons. I will need to list or price anything for here. I can only chunk out the work gradually. My  hope is that by pricing appropriately here my sales will go up. I do sell things at higher "Amazon" prices but I need to sell more to offset loss of Amazon income.

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: pricing on ebay

@keziak wrote:

I have always sold (books, media) on both ebay and Amazon and I have now quit Amazon. This is  having a huge impact on my listings here because I've always priced here based on what I've priced on Amazon.

I have started working on this by checking the items I have most recently listed and it's a bloodbath. Finding stuff that can't be listed here for money and most things need repricing based on prices here. I have a big job ahead of me. 

I have  started gutting my inventory, stripping out everything I can't list here for XYZ reasons. I will need to list or price anything for here. I can only chunk out the work gradually. My  hope is that by pricing appropriately here my sales will go up. I do sell things at higher "Amazon" prices but I need to sell more to offset loss of Amazon income.

Is there a question here, or is this more of a diary entry?

CONSERVITVS  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay member since: 1996

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Suggestion  >>> Get  busy. 

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Instructive story of why one bookseller re-priced 20,000+ books:

The Oak Knoll Repricing Saga | The Oak Knoll Biblio-Blog (wordpress.com)

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Not sure why you quite Amazon if that was producing income but good luck with your efforts. Not sure what more to tell you. 

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

So you quit Amazon to simplify your life........to give you more time to spend on other stuff........but now you need to sell more on Ebay to offset the Amazon loss? 

Time to stop and rethink your goals? 

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

sorry to bug you with my post. Have a nice day.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

I'm hoping that if I strip out the time I"ve spent scouting, listing, editing and shipping on amazon I will be able to catch up on my reduced backlog [I'm jettisoning a lot], sell somewhat more on ebay, and still have more time/energy for other things. That is the theory anyway. In many ways I've haven't "done" ebay right as people have pointed out to me [my prices too high] so I am hoping to fix that too. 

It's true that my posts sometimes do not have actual questions. But many people have many complaints about ebay but for me, while it's not perfect, it's far and away better than Amazon. So as long as I continue to work, I'm going to chose ebay. 

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

I'm not trying to nag, but you stated many times you don't need the money, so please keep that in mind to save your mind.   Keep in your thoughts why you are still selling on ebay and work or not work accordingly.   Your therapist should encourage you write down your goals and needs.   Listen to your therapist and think of what they say while you garden or exercise--gradually increase those activities rather than more ebay work. 

You can de-clutter without selling, you can de-clutter by not sourcing more, you can sell without needing to make x amount of money (for instance you don't have to replace the lost Amazon money).  That is an unnecessary burden you are placing on yourself.   Work yourself gradually toward retirement, not toward more work.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

I need to sell more to offset loss of Amazon income.

{snip}

if I strip out the time I've spent scouting, listing, editing and shipping on amazon

I'm confused because you say that prices on eBay are lower than Amazon. 

So to offset the Amazon income, won't you have to do more listing, editing and shipping because it will take more of those lower-priced sales to offset the Amazon income?

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

@keziak wrote:

... I have  started gutting my inventory, stripping out everything I can't list here for XYZ reasons. I will need to list or price anything for here. I can only chunk out the work gradually. My  hope is that by pricing appropriately here my sales will go up. I do sell things at higher "Amazon" prices but I need to sell more to offset loss of Amazon income.

@keziak:

Congrats on making your business model decisions and following thru with them. Many sellers here are not dynamic enough in doing the same thing when they see negative trends and the occasional need to accept, adjust, and adapt to the changes that are needed. Online sales ebb and flow, and our business model needs to breathe along with the trends.

Whether eventually a positive change or a negative one, at least you are proactive with your business model and are not afraid to make changes instead of coming on this forum and complaining about sales and fees, or blaming eBay. I admire that.

I also exited my store on Amazon because of lagging sales and the eventual large proportional rise in fees there. It was a positive decision that gave me more time to properly keep on top of necessary changes to my eBay store, and my sales here rose as a result. I'm making more money now than I was with two online stores.

Keep breathing and adapting to business model changes and trends.

Cheers, Duffy

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

You are right....I'm doing some thinking. How is doubling-down going to help with my lifestyle choices except that I still want a hand in with my business and make a buck. 

I followed through on quitting Amazon, I"m gone and I've been gradually discarding most of my inventory and culling my backlog. Fortunately I have a book store that is giving me credit. 

Other than that, I am just working through my boxes and listing as I have the time. I am reminding myself to not feel guilty gardening when hubby is working from home. I work a lot on the weekends so I don't have that down time. 

I feel so much better having made this decision.

Thanks for reading, all, and putting up with my no-question posts. 

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Also taking a little time every day to review my listings, remove some and reprice most of them. I am working on the issue of my listings being mostly overpriced for Ebay. 

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@keziak 

Been reading your posts here for years and past years over on the AMZ forum. 

I noticed something in the posts on this thread. You never mentioned sourcing or what to do with recently obtained inventory. 

You mentioned discarding inventory while sorting through existing unlisted inventory. Having read you over the years, this is a major league step in the right direction.

Focus totally on moving what you have and don't get sucked back into sourcing.

Make sure to enjoy every minute of that gardening.

Posting ID
Message 14 of 15
latest reply

It's really hard to curtail the sourcing, it's more fun than listing, etc. I am making far fewer trips to source now because historically some places yield only Amazon books. When I do source it's a learning process to look for books eligible for here. So much easier to use the Amazon app on my phone and scan barcodes. But when it comes to books Amazon and ebay do not synch up. 

It's also kind of sad to open a box, look up the stuff, and have to put things to the side to take to the bookstore instead of list here. But I'm being careful to check live and sold history and not spend time listing stuff that has no track record of selling here. 

Message 15 of 15
latest reply