cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ok. this is a doozie

Hi,

So, I had someone buy a pair of winter boots for $30 (after my settings automatically let them).  No payment for 3 days.

Today, he sends me this message in Spanish which I had Google translate:

Hello, can you leave them a little cheaper, the laces are useless and they look a little battered?

35 would be good

He is wanting the boots for $5 more than what he bought them for--he has 1 feedback and obviously, English is not his first language.  Maybe he's confused on how this works?

My feeling is to just cancel this somehow.  I can't use the wrong address thing. Should I just let the four days play out without payment?  I don't want to leave him a strike, though, just bc he might not understand how this works. But, I really don't feel like interacting with someone through Google translate.  Thanks, in  advance.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

ok. this is a doozie

Buyer is probably including shipping in that $35? Or maybe typo and they meant $25?

Buyer,

My prices are not negotiable. Since don't want to complete the transaction at the price agreed to when you committed to the purchase and you are not happy with the condition of the item, I will cancel the transaction on your behalf so you can find what you're looking for from another listing.

Seller

Then cancel as buyer requested. And block the buyer.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

ok. this is a doozie

Is it $35. with shipping?....might be what they desire.

1 feedback...that might be a red flag.

I would cancel after 4 days....sounds like too much drama.

Are you willing to translate back and forth if there is a problem?

I would cancel on the minute I could cancel...on the minute...I have done that.

And don't respond to the buyer any emails. Maybe buyer will forget the the sale.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

ok. this is a doozie

Cancel after 4 days for non payment, then block the buyer.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

ok. this is a doozie

I actually would just file for non-payment tomorrow - he knows how this works, I think, he's just angling for a discount after the fact (probably $35 including shipping) after sitting on it for three days. I would not unilaterally just cancel 'buyer request', though.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

ok. this is a doozie

I'm in the cancel for non-payment camp. Unless you want to end up paying shipping two ways. 

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

ok. this is a doozie

@flp wrote:

He is wanting the boots for $5 more than what he bought them for--he has 1 feedback and obviously, English is not his first language.  Maybe he's confused on how this works?

I agree that he's probably referring to wanting a lower total, Shipping included. He may be confused, but the lesson to be learned is that you don't get to haggle further after the deal has been made.

Whenever I'm dealing with someone who's using a different language, I'll use Google Translate to reply (through eBay) in both English and the other language, pasted in from Google.

I think after three days of silence and non-payment that he's looking for an out. I'd give him one: 

"I'm sorry but the price was settled when your offer was accepted. Please let me know if you would like to cancel." 

"Lo siento, pero el precio se fijó cuando se aceptó su oferta. Avíseme si desea cancelar."

If he doesn't respond, your cancellation is just one day away.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

ok. this is a doozie

My thanks to you and to the others who took their time to answer my question.  Update: I did use A. C. Green's suggestions and messaged the buyer both in English and Spanish.  He didn't answer so I cancelled the sale just a few minutes past the time when I could.  Too bad for him with only 1 feedback and now a strike.  Thanks again 😊

Message 8 of 8
latest reply