cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new trend in listing postcards Partial Images as the first image

I have been seeing this more and more.  Sellers post the first image on the listing as a close up of part of the postcard.  I find it annoying and distracting. 

Isn't the first image supposed to the full item being offered? 

and subsequent images can be close ups or it is a free for all and any image will due? 

When will images that are not the item be the first image? 

When I am looking to buy a postcard of a cat and in the search results I see a cat's eye or an ear, how is it that I can make a judgement if it is what I want to buy?  Isn't it baiting me to click to see what it is and isn't that against eBay rules?  I have been tricked into clicking on the link to the listing to get there only to see it is something I already have or am not interested in,  the title is sometimes vague and one has no clue what they will find by viewing the listing.   

Does that really increase sales? or is it like I said, click bait, a way to get more views and hopefully a sale?

I have been seeing this showing up on other sites too.  Is it just postcards or is it other items too? 

you can see an example by viewing this listing

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Vintage-Emigrant-Landing-New-York-City-Postcard/124511754825?hash=i...

Does anyone agree with me?  Does anyone find it annoying too? 

If you do that and it is not click bait, please explain the purpose it serves.

Kevin A
Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: new trend in listing postcards Partial Images as the first image

It can either work for or against the seller if they crop part of the postcard and use it as their main image. If you just see a cats ear as the main pic it may turn many buyers away. But it may also prompt a buyer to open the listing and look for the full image. It would be better for all postcard sellers to use the main full postcard image as the 1st image, however sellers can do what they want in their own listings. There are no ebay rules specifying they can't use what ever image they want for the 1st image.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

There is not much you can do other than waste two seconds clicking the image, and then another two seconds hitting the back button if you do not like what you see.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

I'm not aware of any rule that requires the first photo to be a full shot of the item.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

I sell in postcards (obviously) and I haven't really searched in the category much.....but I understand what might be happening...

In a Facebook group I  belong to, someone posted and stated they stole a picture from the internet to share with the group.  They (and some of their friends) consider anything posted to the internet as okay to 'steal' no matter what the copyright laws say.   I can see people copying the eBay picture instead of paying for the postcard.   OP you and I may not do this, but others do.

Second, and I am not sure about this, I believe only the first picture in a listing goes into the eBay catalog.  eBay catalog is available for any seller to use any other seller's picture when listing the same item.  By using a partial picture, sellers who have worked hard to produce a quality picture are keeping it from others.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

There is NO requirement that the first  image be a photo of the entire item. Choosing which item is first is up to the seller. In some cases, it is is smart marketing to use a detail rather than the entire item. In other cases, not so smart. But either way, it is the seller's choice.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

I don't see what the issue is if others are able to use the image.  If it about all the work taking a  photo and making is work for the listing,  use a watermark or put your username across it.  that would keep others from using your image. 

Kevin A
Message 7 of 12
latest reply

you have the 4 seconds, as you describe, to waste?  Care to share some of those free seconds?

Kevin A
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

"it may also prompt a buyer to open the listing and look for the full image"  = click bait

Kevin A
Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@lesubjonctif 

Yes I do. It looks like you do also as it took way more than 4 seconds to discuss this. When you see a partial picture of a dog but are looking for a penguin no need to even waste 4 seconds.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

you don't get it

Kevin A
Message 12 of 12
latest reply