cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how can USA sellers make money?

Good morning. I am trying to understand how a USA seller can make money on an item that is $2.50 or something like that. I thought it might be bulk, but many, who have been on for quite awhile, are not big sellers (like me). Can you ship without tracking? Does that get you into trouble with Ebay? Thank you so much

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@alotofwholesale Depends on what is being sold and as per @klassic*kids 's reply, without tracking the risk of an item not received claim exists.  On a $ 2.50 item eBay & PayPal Fees will run about 32 cents and just for giggles lets say the Seller's cost was 25 cents so they have to deduct $ 0.57 off the $ 2.50 to get thier net profit (excluding packaging cost, etc.) so it leaves them with $ 1.93.  If they charge shipping that's okay but there are fees on the shipping cost too.  The bottom line is Sellers doing this are either trying to increase the number of transactions they have to incrrease their selling limits or they may be selling thousands of items thus making more $$ that way ...

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Yes, you can ship without tracking -- however, there'll be record of the shipment so it doesn't safeguard you from a buyer who claims they never recieved the widget.

Happy 2018! May this upcoming year be a prosperous one!
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

@alotofwholesale Depends on what is being sold and as per @klassic*kids 's reply, without tracking the risk of an item not received claim exists.  On a $ 2.50 item eBay & PayPal Fees will run about 32 cents and just for giggles lets say the Seller's cost was 25 cents so they have to deduct $ 0.57 off the $ 2.50 to get thier net profit (excluding packaging cost, etc.) so it leaves them with $ 1.93.  If they charge shipping that's okay but there are fees on the shipping cost too.  The bottom line is Sellers doing this are either trying to increase the number of transactions they have to incrrease their selling limits or they may be selling thousands of items thus making more $$ that way ...

Regards,
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Have been starting to tinker around paint.  Thanks again @mr_lincoln !

Happy 2018! May this upcoming year be a prosperous one!
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Some sellers are doing it to get there sales volume up so they can keep or get back there TRS status. Some are making money on volume sales. Some are trying to get feedback. Some are trying to move out old stock. Some are trying to drive customers to there stores. And some just do not care or do not know what they are doing. But with no tracking....that could open up a whole new can of neamatoads, (worms)

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

@klassic*kids  10 - 4 and good for you!  Once you get the hang of it you will find it another useful tool for working with pictures.  When you do screen shots those too can be opened in paint and using some Paint tools you can block out info ... just ask questions when needed.

Regards,
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

@alotofwholesale wrote:

Good morning. I am trying to understand how a USA seller can make money on an item that is $2.50 or something like that. I thought it might be bulk, but many, who have been on for quite awhile, are not big sellers (like me). Can you ship without tracking? Does that get you into trouble with Ebay?

Yes, you can ship without tracking and not get into trouble with eBay. There are drawbacks, however.

First, you are pretty much resigned to refunding anyone who claims "Item Not Received", because you do not have tracking to show otherwise.

Second, you have little chance of becoming a Top Rated Seller - and you risk being rated as Below Standard if more than 7% of your buyers leave feedback indicating that your item arrived late.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

A little OT but on the same line. How do some sellers do it?

item #253045522206 Completed listing

I want to list this item but it weights 3 pounds (no packageing and does not fit into a flat rate box). So weight will be at least 5 pounds.

Shipping to California comes out more then the selling price and they offer free shipping.

What am I missing????????? I have to throw this in the trash, it is not worth listing.

Prov 20:14 It is naught, it is naught, saith the buyer: but when he is gone his way, then he boasteth.
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

I have to throw this in the trash, it is not worth listing.

are you kidding?  I didn't research the item value, but calculated shipping to areas around you will be much less than to Cal.  So what if shipping is high to the farthest zone? 

That seller used lst class shipping .........so I'm guessing he screwed up the shipping weight.........

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Don't sell it with FS. Trust me, a buyer who WANTS that already knows it's heavy (which is most likely WHY they want it in the first place).

Problem solved.

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

As an aside, LOVE that seller's comment (like anyone cares) = )

Reminds me of some of the stuff bubble puts in his listings.

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

I'll give it a shot with calculated shipping. I am just so tired of moving stuff around. Low end stuff is hitting the trash. 

Prov 20:14 It is naught, it is naught, saith the buyer: but when he is gone his way, then he boasteth.
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@ymeagainlord wrote:
As an aside, LOVE that seller's comment (like anyone cares) = )

Reminds me of some of the stuff bubble puts in his listings.

And he spelled liters incorrectly to boot.

It's marked with kittens!Cat Happy

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

LOL as an Aussie I'd probably spell it litres = )

Crusader Cat is watching

Message 14 of 14
latest reply