cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ebay fees and holds on payouts- insane- 23-years casually selling on eBay and I am done

eBay fees and holds on payouts- insane- 23-years casually selling on eBay and I am done.  Marketplace is so much better.  Good bye greedy eBay!

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: ebay fees and holds on payouts- insane- 23-years casually selling on eBay and I am done

Marketplace is at a best a disaster at least currently.  I know software engineers work at Meta albeit the companies goals for the Metaverse are quite lofty.  The 13% thereabouts fee's here are dirt cheap as far as "sales figures go" versus retail or even a whole lot of biz to consumer.  Heck I was paying 20% and 22-25% twenty years ago at uBid and Onsale respective.

You'd be awfully surprised and quite upset if you knew how much is passed unto you at places like Walmarts, Targets, Home Depot's, Best Buys, Amazon, on and on not to mention just you're local grocers or bake shop.  That $5 DVD or Blu Ray in the bargain bin at Walmart has in the area of a 400% markup if it's a blu ray and more like 600% for a plain ole' DVD.  Those $499 Each Klipsch Speakers over at Best Buy are basically $125 speakers at point of Manufacturer and out the door.  Those $150 tires on you're car are actually about $30 tires on you're car, I know someone in that particular industry, I've got "Blems" he's gotten me for $45 a tire...  You'll notice the tire sales places now don't tend sell blemished tires, its more cost effective to reclaim them then sell them to the public like they used to...  13% is dirt cheap.

Facebook Marketplace is also charging fee's now and those will go up I can assure you and the place is the literal poster boy these days of everything from identity theft to scams.  Think here is bad?  There's very good reasons you don't see every local small business on the planet using marketplace.  It's not that they wouldn't love having a bold social media presence attached to marketplace sales... Nope, its because the risks far far far outweigh the benefits.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Re: ebay fees and holds on payouts- insane- 23-years casually selling on eBay and I am done

The fees have not increased much except for books.  Yes, new/infrequent/returning sellers are subject to holds on their funds for up to 30 days.  This is to cover the 30 day money back guarantee in case there is a problem.  The funds will be released after that.  Your item sold on June 30, so you just need to wait.  

Keep selling and you will soon no longer be considered new.  

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Another one leaving I didn't even know was here.  Happy Trails.

-

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

@customjack wrote:

eBay fees and holds on payouts- insane- 23-years casually selling on eBay and I am done.  Marketplace is so much better.  Good bye greedy eBay!

The key is that you are a casual seller who only sells very infrequently and then you go ahead and list and sell an expensive item.  It is fairly common knowledge that these days Ebay will place funds on hold for 30 days when a someone like yourself lists and sells an expensive item.  The insanity would be that Ebay releases such funds before a buyer initiates a scam and very infrequent sellers like yourself are always targets of scammers.  Oh well, good bye and good luck on Marketplace, you will need it.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

"...Marketplace is so much better...."

I am not by any means a big seller, but I sell a little every month and get payouts much faster than FB, Etsy, Amazon...all with the same low selling amounts (by item)

All the others wait for Delivered status.....

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

They are not insane. How does ebay really know that it's you selling and not your kid or ex-wife. Maybe someone took over your Ebay ID.  Ebay needs to make sure that the buyer is protected . That is why they have the hold.  If you had kept selling w/o stopping, there would be no hold on you.  If you are leaving, no one cares.  There are millions of other sellers here.   Go luck with Marketplace.  There are more scammers over there than here.

Ebay is protecting ebay.   DId you sign up for managed payments? Did you give ebay your valid ID and social security number? Failure to give ebay what they need will result you not ever seeing your money from Ebay. They will turn it over to your state tax  dept. and then you will crack your head trying to get it back.

Goodluck wherever you go.  In case , you did not realize it, if you sell online and get online payments, you are required to give your ID and social security number .  It's the law in the USA passed by Congress during the previous administration.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Actually, if you need quick cash a pawn shop is better.

Having established yourself on eBay and all the time it took to establish yourself here....imagine all the time it will now take to reestablish yourself with someone else like marketplace. Once your funds are received I bet you will return to selling.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

In case , you did not realize it, if you sell online and get online payments, you are required to give your ID and social security number .  It's the law in the USA passed by Congress during the previous administration.”

Just to clarify, The American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA; PL 117-2)  was conceived and passed in March 2021 during the current administration. It requires third-party payment platforms to report to the IRS customers’ transactions if a taxpayer transacted more than $600 in a year, down from $20,000 prior to ARPA.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

"Another one leaving I didn't even know was here."
Another one leaving who is not a competitor in my category(ies) . . . .

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Later random seller.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

casually selling

EBay has a Hold on payments to new, occasional , and returning sellers of up to 30 days against their performance. 

For US based sellers it's usually 21 days.

Until you've been selling for 90 days and sold 25 items your payments will be held until tracking shows delivered, or in 21 days if there's no tracking.

They can hold the payment for the full 21 days if you're selling in a high risk category. 

The only item you have sold in the last three months went for $575 plus shipping and tax.

You can use the Held funds to buy a (discounted?) shipping label.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Do you have a Managed Payments account?
You will need a checking account and your SSN to open one.

Without that, eBay cannot transfer your customer payment to your bank.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Okay? And?

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

I am referring to the law where online sales are taxed. That one happened under the Trump administration but it was Congress that passed the law so you can't put this one him.  The law was to start in the beginning of 2022.   

Anyway, common sense is that if you are collecting online payments, the IRS needs to make sure that you are paying your taxes on earnings.   Ebay also needed to clean up the site and make it harder to commit fraud by identifying sellers.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply