cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ebay Launches Authentication for Jewelry

I'm not surprised. And, since I don't sell any qualifying jewelry, I don't expect this to make much difference for me.  But....at least ebay has something new they can announce at the Q2 Report....

https://www.valueaddedresource.net/ebay-authenticity-guaranteed-fine-jewelry/

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: ebay Launches Authentication for Jewelry

I'm not surprised. And, since I don't sell any qualifying jewelry, I don't expect this to make much difference for me.  But....at least ebay has something new they can announce at the Q2 Report....

https://www.valueaddedresource.net/ebay-authenticity-guaranteed-fine-jewelry/

This is long overdue even though I don't sell in this category. One can only hope it goes a bit better than the other authentication programs which seem to have their share of problems, especially the sneaker authentication program. 

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

I just had to laugh. Like the mess with the bags and shoes is not enough. There will be "authentication center did this and that to my jewelry" in addition to other complaints.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques 

This is excellent news, I especially like the QR code that you can track the process of your piece ( if I'm reading this correctly). Thank you for this update!

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Final value fees are going up for all jewelry sales so if you sell jewelry this lovey little announcement does impact you.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

I wish everyone a lot of luck. Ebay has made it quite clear they are favoring sellers and buyers of high end items. "As we create the premier marketplace for buyers and sellers of luxury items" ( rofl) is  how the email message started. Ebay keeps sending me messages even though I've opted out and tried to close my account. (which they won't do with no reason given)  Nothing owed either way, no issues with my account. It's how they keep their member numbers artificially inflated. 

So much for the little guy who made them what they were.  

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

@silverstatetreasureboxes  I think the QR code is basically like an online version of a Certificate of Authenticity. The buyer will get the QR code on his Authentication Card, and will be able to scan it to see the details online regarding its authenticity. I assume if the buyer later goes to sell the item, he can include the card/QR code with the item when he sells it. 

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

99.9% of my sales are jewelry.  While I certainly hate the fee increase, especially for items under $500 that won't even see the authentication process, I'm scared of what eBay could be doing here.  I'm a GIA certified gemologist, and even in classes at GIA they will teach you that when grading diamonds and gemstones, there is a swing in how one person vs another will grade a stone.  There certainly is for other companies like EGL or a myriad of other grading companies.  I've seen the same diamond sent to GIA multiple times until the desired grade is given.  I'd like to see a good bit more information on how the authentication process will work, and what standards they will be using.  Unfortunately jewelry is going to be a much bigger endeavor than sneakers I think.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

How I miss the old fun ebay! Does anybody remember auctions for a potato looking like Jay Leno`s face? Or, another 20 y.o. listing with a wedding dress of a bride who run away from a poor guy who was left with the dress and was posing in it-the story could be just a marketing, but it worked - the dress was auctioned for many $K. It was fun to have a human side of the platform.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

The FFV increase is for everything in that category. 

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Yep, extra 2.45% not to mention the extra 1% they just added to promoted listings.  Smacking jewelry folks around this year.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

I wish everyone a lot of luck. Ebay has made it quite clear they are favoring sellers and buyers of high end items. "As we create the premier marketplace for buyers and sellers of luxury items" ( rofl) is  how the email message started. Sugar coated message what they really mean is they needed to do something to get sellers to potentially list high value, high scam target items on eBay. There is NO way I would ever sell high value jewelry on eBay authentication center or no authentication center. Any high value/dollar jewelry I have sold in the past I moved through other means. 

Ebay keeps sending me messages even though I've opted out and tried to close my account. (which they won't do with no reason given)  Nothing owed either way, no issues with my account. It's how they keep their member numbers artificially inflated. Give them a reason to close it. I can think of several. 

So much for the little guy who made them what they were.  Agreed, better places for the little guy to sell these days. I list the same items on eBay and across other platforms and venues and less than 20% of my items sell through eBay these days and that number continues to drop. 

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

You are 100% correct. We have two GIA educated in-house authenticators that assit in listing all of our fine jewelry.  The guarantee program has failed us on multiple occasions where the authenticator made gross mistakes in evaluating our jewelry.  eBay claims they are using GIA for the authentication service (very doubtful). Even basic colored stone evaluations have been botched by these so called "authenticators".  One example is carat weight; any gemologist knows that taking millimeter measurements is an approximate gauge of carat wight and that their are various industry wide acceptable conversion charts.  One of our items "failed" due to our listing showing an approximate carat weight difference of tenths of a carat on an item which contained 14 stones.  Even though we were able to provide millimeter measurements of each stone along with an industry accepted conversion chart, we were unable to appeal or provide relevant evidence to rebut the failed authentication.  Using language like approximate does not suffice.  Another example is a failed authentication because the authenticator does not know a basic fact that agate is chalcedony.  They  failed an item listed as agate because they determined it to be chalcedony. That is like saying a chihuahua is not a dog because it is not a pit bull.  Further, buyers are completely kept in the dark about why something failed authentication, and are unable to communicate with the seller or accept the sale of an item regardless of the authenticator's determination.  Good luck selling any fine jewelry on eBay from this point forward; you will be subject to dealing with some wizard behind a curtain who might in fact be a lunatic.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@goldenegg225 

Thank you for posting your experiences.  We have seen comments regarding the other authentication programs, but this is the first I have seen specific to the jewelry category.  Your insights are appreciated. 

Message 14 of 14
latest reply