cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay will move to a new "product based" shopping experience on a large scale this year to

to replace the current listings based experience - and it will become the only way to shop on eBay, according to the company's CEO Devin Wenig. From ecommercebytes.

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2018/2/1519091217.html

"But Wenig described the biggest change coming to the site as a move from a listings based marketplace to a product based marketplace."

All you small sellers that don't sell new items. You can kiss your eBay business goodbye. New item small sellers, if you can't price compete with the big boys, your stuff will never be seen, until they all run out of inventory. Best price on everything on the site will be seen exclusively, the way the site will be laid out.

Message 1 of 565
latest reply
564 REPLIES 564

Re: eBay will move to a new "product based" shopping experience on a large scale this year

Exactly!
If vintage and antique go away on eBay, a new platform will emerge, as there is just too much money to be made. I bet a major auction house will take up the project, like Pook & Pook, Morphy, Skinner, or even Southby's. They all are already set up for online bidding, so they could have an online consignment wing. It's a natural.
Message 421 of 565
latest reply

Re: eBay will move to a new "product based" shopping experience on a large scale this year

@dugoldstuffwrote:
Exactly!
If vintage and antique go away on eBay, a new platform will emerge, as there is just too much money to be made. I bet a major auction house will take up the project, like Pook & Pook, Morphy, Skinner, or even Southby's. They all are already set up for online bidding, so they could have an online consignment wing. It's a natural.

So is auctionzip - all they need to do is open it up to users instead of just auctioneers. They already have timed auctions.

DK could you imagine the hugemanatee of all the garbage on ebay going to a live auction. ebay has turned most of us into trash sellers. The investment for the known high end is offset by fees,but we keep finding bones once inawhile..

Message 423 of 565
latest reply

Now if ebay would knock down all completed information the wild west days would return. The sheep would return to the pasture for slaughter,but until them it will remain this here sells for $400.00 on ebay I'll take $450.00 for it...

Message 424 of 565
latest reply

You'd think ebay would wise up someday and realize that their completed info is being used to turn far more dollars outside of ebay than it is turned on ebay,but these folks just aren't rocket scentists when it comes to money....

Message 425 of 565
latest reply

Has anyone found a reliable alternative for selling vintage and collectable type items?

Message 426 of 565
latest reply

@the_fancy_foxwrote:

Well I guess he's going to figure it out the hard way. 

When as a buyer I know there are thousands of phones available and eBay only shows me four? lol i would never buy here again. I actually find if offensive having MY choices manipulated now.

as is I won't sell (or buy) in a saturated category as eBay wants to push its Chinese sellers above all else.

The writings on the wall folks. If your ducks aren't  in a row yet, better get them there. 

I thought "flea-market"  was the WHOLE POINT of ebay?  

Message 427 of 565
latest reply

@max39666wrote:

nobody will recognize eBay. 

well one thing for sure-Ebay won't recognize me either as i will be elsewheres spending my money --99% of my buys are in the used item selection with honest small sellers--if i want new Chinese junk-there  are  several dollar stores close by or a few malls which offer in hand stock with no shipping  or return concerns.

Looks like the fun days searching for good used items at fair prices are over on this site--really not a huge problem as i already buy used items on other sites as is.

Ebay IMHO has become like a piece of cheese left in the fridge for a while unwrapped for small sellers--hard to cut-chew-or digest without removing the disiked ugly mold

Good luck to all the small sellers  as this new hoop may well be to high to jump thru or over..

If true, this change will be good for companies like etsy.  This is similar to what happened with Jeff Bezos buying wholefoods.  Jeff has no passion for organic foods or supporting local farms.  I believe he merely purchased Wholefoods for the real estate.  In California, you are already seeing many small wholefoods vendors fleeding to other local organic chain-stores like Erewhon or Lassens.  And I personally now only shop at wholefoods once a month, maybe.

Message 428 of 565
latest reply

I have noticed the drop as well. I don't want Chinese junk as a buyer. Ebay will now lose my selling AND buying. Off to Ruby Lane I go to sell.
"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right!" ~ Henry Ford
Message 429 of 565
latest reply

@kid4everwrote:

Has anyone found a reliable alternative for selling vintage and collectable type items?

If mean other online sites that  do auction formated  lists  for selling vintage and collectable  type items , No there isn't .   Also this is the only site  that you can setup local pick up  and take cash  only  from the buyer  when they come and get it.   For as other BIN  only  online  sites  there are couple ,but buyer traffic isn't great.

Message 430 of 565
latest reply

Just about 1 year ago to the day I listed my last item.  I buy sometimes and still look at whats sold but have found no compelling reason to return to selling.  Just wanted to mention, for those thinking of moving on.... there is a process to go thru, just like moving on from any long term job or a long term project that took both time and emotional investment. 

It's like the old saying; "You can pick your friends but not your family".  I think many of us have found ourselves at sometime plagued by a family member for whatever reason - just couldn't get along,  but oh!,  the peace and tranquility that springs back once they or I moved away... 

I could be up and listing again in a couple of hours but have been away from the influence of the "family tie" to this site long enough - reason has returned and reason says not to go back to the same or even more difficult frustrations. Spring seller update helped me put the final nail in the coffin.   A "time out" might help some to feel whatever decision you come to is the right one for you.  Take care of yourself, there are other pathways to explore. 

Message 431 of 565
latest reply

@lovepugs16wrote:

@the_fancy_foxwrote:

When as a buyer I know there are thousands of phones available and eBay only shows me four? lol i would never buy here again. I actually find if offensive having MY choices manipulated now.

as is I won't sell (or buy) in a saturated category as eBay wants to push its Chinese sellers above all else.

The writings on the wall folks. If your ducks aren't  in a row yet, better get them there. 

Yes it is . But  last ceo JD  called sellers like me and others Noise !    The New ceo in 2015 said he was going to fix all damaged done by old ceo . He talked about bring back the mom and pop seller .    Now wants new stuff  on this site  as main items !  There isn't enough buyer traffic for new latest items  for those sellers ,and other sites  have the buyer traffic  for new goods  because that is their business model  .

Message 432 of 565
latest reply

@carlmarxxwrote:

@lovepugs16wrote:

@the_fancy_foxwrote:

Yes it is . But  last ceo JD  called sellers like me and others Noise !    The New ceo in 2015 said he was going to fix all damaged done by old ceo . He talked about bring back the mom and pop seller .    Now wants new stuff  on this site  as main items !  There isn't enough buyer traffic for new latest items  for those sellers ,and other sites  have the buyer traffic  for new goods  because that is their business model  .

Agreed.  Most people, including me, shop on ebay for gently used, vintage stuff and previously owned jewelry.  I have no interest in ever buying new stuff on ebay.  

Message 433 of 565
latest reply

If true, this change will be good for companies like...

YOY GMV growth 17%+, just had first $1B GMV quarter...  

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 434 of 565
latest reply

I find it quite interesting that eBay seems to be obsessed with becoming the new Amazon, when Amazon's business model for the retail BU has never turned a profit in all of the years it has been operating. Amazon makes all of its money off advertising and AWS.

Message 435 of 565
latest reply