cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay labeled, eBay Standard Envelopes

I've been buying the stiff cardboard shipping envelopes, from eBay Shipping. I thought it was a great idea for those sports cards I sell that are less than $20. I felt, great, a professional looking, sturdy envelope and not the pwe I've always hated receiving myself. Not so fast eBay breath...I've received about 8 claims from buyers not receiving their purchases this year, all but 1 the eBay labeled envelope. It's been averaging about 1 claim a month lately. I follow ALL the guidelines: Wt. no more than 3 oz, and thickness, no more than 1/4", etc...Anyone else having an issue with these envelopes? I suspect a lot of the problem is due to postal employees not understaning what they are dealing with.

Message 1 of 44
latest reply
43 REPLIES 43

Re: eBay labeled, eBay Standard Envelopes

Does your post office charge you .44 cents extra to pay for hand cancel?

Sometimes the "Tracking" never picks up at all.

Often it will show delivered but the buyer says they didn't get it

Message 31 of 44
latest reply

I agree that something is going on - Had 25 late items from MLK day.  Holidays seem to really disrupt the shipping process anymore.  Post Office is having trouble hiring people just like everywhere else is too.

Message 32 of 44
latest reply

@pondbuilder22 wrote:

Does your post office charge you .44 cents extra to pay for hand cancel?

Sometimes the "Tracking" never picks up at all.

Often it will show delivered but the buyer says they didn't get it

@pondbuilder22 

If you have purchased a label online, you can cancel the label online without a charge of any kind.  Keep in mind that buying your shipping online is much cheaper than going to the PO and purchasing shipping.

As for tracking, if you have a problem with your Carrier scanning your items in, then contact your local post office and talk ONLY to the manager of the office.  Tell them your problem.  It is part of the carrier's job to scan packages in, so you should be able to resolve it this way.

When tracking shows delivered and your buyer says it was not.  The seller is protected by Ebay.  You do not have to refund the money to the buyer.  Just nicely advise your buyer to talk with their carrier.  The sooner the better as they may remember where they left the package.  And/or contact their local post office and discuss the problem.

It is part of the buyer's requirements to provide a safe place for sellers to have their items shipped to.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 33 of 44
latest reply

I buy all my shipping on line from ebay - yes it is cheaper - and yes I know how to cancel a shipping label

The manager at the post office is the one that told me I had to add a .44 cent stamp to all of the hard std. envelopes.  

The buyers have been very cooperative about talking with the carriers.  A recent buyer contacted the post office when the item said delivered at it was not delivered to him.  He said the post office told him it is up to where ever the envelope was delivered to get the envelope to the correct addressee.

Message 34 of 44
latest reply

No matter what the PO said, if the tracking shows delivered, you are covered under the Seller Protection on Ebay.  It appears what the PO told your buyer is that if they delivered the item to the wrong address it was up to the people at that address to put it back in their mail box and note it was delivered to the wrong address.  Still it is the PO messed up, not the seller and you are protected by Ebay.  It is not your responsibility as a seller to make sure that USPS delivers correctly.  BTW it is an assumption that USPS delivered to the wrong address.  It could have been stollen from the buyers mailbox too.  

I'm not an expert on the Standard Envelopes system, but I think the 44 cent additional charge was because the envelope could not be machined but had to be hand processed because of the type of envelope used.  Someone else with more experience on this would be better to advise you on that.

Message 35 of 44
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

No matter what the PO said, if the tracking shows delivered, you are covered under the Seller Protection on Ebay.  It appears what the PO told your buyer is that if they delivered the item to the wrong address it was up to the people at that address to put it back in their mail box and note it was delivered to the wrong address.  Still it is the PO messed up, not the seller and you are protected by Ebay.  It is not your responsibility as a seller to make sure that USPS delivers correctly.  BTW it is an assumption that USPS delivered to the wrong address.  It could have been stollen from the buyers mailbox too.  

I'm not an expert on the Standard Envelopes system, but I think the 44 cent additional charge was because the envelope could not be machined but had to be hand processed because of the type of envelope used.  Someone else with more experience on this would be better to advise you on that.

Watch my video, ship exactly the same way I do and there will be no hand cancel, no damaged cards, no post office issues. 

https://youtu.be/f9SPX370_IE

Standard envelope is NOT hand scanned, when you pay for hand cancel or non-machineable you lose the tracking entirely.  You might as well just be using stamps at that point.  They often end up showing delivered 1-2 days early and you will get messages about it, come up with a copy and paste reply, you won't hear back from 95 percent of those people because the orders will indeed show up in the next few days. 

I learned my lesson early on and will never hand a standard envelope to a postal employee. They don't know about the program, don't understand it, and all giving it to them does is put special emphasis on the envelope which makes them come up with a reason to have a problem with it. I just dump them in a mailbox that goes to a post office that isn't served by my house.

In fact, I will never give any package of any kind to the person at the post office counter, it is just looking for trouble, encouraging them to weigh or measure it, claim it is short postage because they don't understand the discount rate I got, or to open and examine media mail packages. 

Message 36 of 44
latest reply

Opening a package being shipped Media Mail is a right USPS has.  It is something they have said many times because so many shippers take advantage of the shipping method and ships things that are not eligible for that method of shipping.  This is something we all need to accept if we are going to be using that method of shipment.

As to hand stamping your packages or whatever.  I said in my previous post I am not an expert on Standard Envelopes.  Hopefully someone with more experience with this subject happens along in order to assist you.

Message 37 of 44
latest reply

If you're referring to EsE, you can't cancel or void a label once it's printed.  If the EsE doesn't show an acceptance scan with x amount of days (7 days I think) the EsE label voids and I believe the buyer is supposed to receive a credit.   

Although I use EsE quite a bit, I've never had an EsE void, so I can't attest to the credit.

Message 38 of 44
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

As to hand stamping your packages or whatever.  I said in my previous post I am not an expert on Standard Envelopes.  Hopefully someone with more experience with this subject happens along in order to assist you.

I AM an expert on this. i have burned through over 20,000 envelopes since the program started. I have scientifically tested multiple packing methods with it 500 at a time to see which ones have the most exceptions. 

Go back, look at my other posts, watch my video, just copy what I do. 

Message 39 of 44
latest reply

@pereirahawk wrote:

If you're referring to EsE, you can't cancel or void a label once it's printed.  If the EsE doesn't show an acceptance scan with x amount of days (7 days I think) the EsE label voids and I believe the buyer is supposed to receive a credit.   

Although I use EsE quite a bit, I've never had an EsE void, so I can't attest to the credit.

I have shipped enough of them to get the credits, it does happen.

Message 40 of 44
latest reply

@pereirahawk wrote:

I don't know what ESE stands for, sorry.  Is it Ebay Standard Envelope?

Yes, thank you.

https://pages.ebay.com/sell/standarddelivery/termsofservice.html

Message 41 of 44
latest reply

is there insurance available for "standard envolope" shipping??  please advise.. thanks for your time -- ROB

Message 42 of 44
latest reply

Yes. Read the page linked in the post just before yours.

Message 43 of 44
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 44 of 44
latest reply