cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay is letting scammers getting away, actually encouraging them. I am out $525 right now.

Here is the time line of this return, new buyer with 0 feedback and from overseas opens this claim for "Not as described".   To my surprise I received the envelope in the pictures instead of the item ( an iPhone 12 pro Max)  yesterday and contacted eBay right away.  Follow all the steps to report this scammers and escalated the return, eBay sides with the scammer, even after submitting an appeal and with the proof clear as day.

I am lost for words that eBay actually sided with this scammer, and I am desperately trying to get my money back.

After reviewing your appeal, we won't be able to change the outcome of the case, unfortunately.
After reviewing this case, we decided to keep the original outcome.
We understand how frustrating it is that the item's condition changed but, unfortunately, we didn't receive proof that the buyer caused the issue.
You won't receive a refund for this case.

History
Feb 16Feb 16 The appeal was closedThe appeal was closed
Feb 16Feb 16 You sent us an appealYou sent us an appeal MessageMessage I contacted eBay earlier today in regards to this scam attempt. The buyer returned a pink envelope using the return shipping label that he got for the return, there was hair pins on it. The eBay rep gave me guidance and a reference number. I am attaching a picture of the envelope that was received.I contacted eBay earlier today in regards to this scam attempt. The buyer returned a pink envelope using the return shipping label that he got for the return, there was hair pins on it. The eBay rep gave me guidance and a reference number. I am attaching a picture of the envelope that was received.
We reviewed this case and decided to issue the buyer a full refund.
We understand that you received your item in a different condition than when you shipped it, but unfortunately we couldn't determine that this was caused by the buyer, or that this was something in the buyer's control.
A refund of US $525.00 was issued on Feb 16, 2023 to the buyer. The refund includes the purchase price plus original shipping.
The refund amount will be recovered from you by eBay.
Feb 16Feb 16 The case was resolvedThe case was resolved
Feb 16Feb 16 The case openedThe case opened MessageMessage Scam attempt by buyer, buyer sent this envelope with hair fasteners in it, instead of actual item. I have attached pictures for you to review them. I have also contacted customer support and was giving this service request number. Scam attempt by buyer, buyer sent this envelope with hair fasteners in it, instead of actual item. I have attached pictures for you to review them. I have also contacted customer support and was giving this service request number. Feb 11Feb 11 Buyer requested a returnBuyer requested a return MessageMessage Hello, the phone you have sent is not catching any wi-fi signal and because of item is defective I request for a return. Thanks in advanceHello, the phone you have sent is not catching any wi-fi signal and because of item is defective I request for a return. Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 42
latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

Re: eBay is letting scammers getting away, actually encouraging them. I am out $525 right now.

Or you can call eBay. I find that to be the most helpful.

Message 16 of 42
latest reply

Re: eBay is letting scammers getting away, actually encouraging them. I am out $525 right now.

The label used, is the one generated by eBay btw. 

@technoshoptotalwireless 

Please see message #6 and take another look.   

Since you are interested in eBay taking action against this crook, the only way that is going to happen is if eBay is in line to take the monetary hit.  They will likely dispense with the ID, once they have to pay out for issues such as yours.  Buyers that use freight forwarders give up the eBay money back guarantee perks. 

Message 17 of 42
latest reply

Inform your buyer and maybe even the freight forwarder that you're calling the police 

@sapphire_studio 

The buyer is outside the US, and could care less about any US police.  Telling them that might give them a good laugh, though.  There are indications that the label used (not the usual return service mentioned in message #6)  was not even "from" the freight forwarder in the first place.  

I can buy a label online and use any return address I like. 

Message 18 of 42
latest reply

Isn't this a good reason to use ebay international shipping or GSP?

Message 19 of 42
latest reply

Have you looked at their feedback.?  Have any sellers said anything similar about them?

Message 20 of 42
latest reply

@iart 

In those instances, the seller is required to fund the shipping from the destination country for a NAD claim.  The seller will be paying quite a bit more for that "cheap trinket return".  

Message 21 of 42
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

@iart 

In those instances, the seller is required to fund the shipping from the destination country for a NAD claim.  The seller will be paying quite a bit more for that "cheap trinket return".  

True for GSP but EIS is set up differently.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 22 of 42
latest reply

True for GSP but EIS is set up differently.

@wastingtime101 

You are correct. I was thinking of the Ebay International Standard Delivery.  

Message 23 of 42
latest reply

Yep, they made it as confusing as possible with the name EIS when the other active service is EISD. I can't believe eBay went forward with such similar names. Conflation of the 2 services is inevitable and will get worse when EIS rolls out to many more sellers. Won't be surprised if I mix them up myself at some point.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 24 of 42
latest reply

I don't know about the new service, but GSP handled all returns. We never had to bother with them at all. I was told, who knows if true, that they also inspect packages to make sure they're correct. I would think they would inspect a $500+ package, especially in a high scam category.

Message 25 of 42
latest reply

So sorry to hear this. I've been selling phones on eBay since 2007. Definitely a lot of fraud involved. Sometimes I win, sometimes I lose. Here's what I do...

1) As soon as the case is opened I contact ebaY and ask them to investigate the buyer. BE POLITE.  Sometimes they can see a pattern and close the return immediately. DO NOT ESCALATE THE CASE

2) I track the return and try to video tape the item being delivered to me (never works but just in case)

3) If I do receive a faulty return I contact eBay and let them know I have video 

4) I ask eBay if I file a police report will they take me seriously. THIS WORKS!

5) I also file a case with IC3.gov and get a case number

In conclusion, within the last few years ebay is really starting to crack down on these guys. Get a police report and keep calling back until the case is successfully appealed. 

Message 26 of 42
latest reply

Thanks, I did actually message them through facebook but no response yet. 

Message 27 of 42
latest reply

@technoshoptotalwireless wrote:

The label used, is the one generated by eBay btw. 

Are you sure? As others have pointed out, that's not a normal "FIRST CLASS™ PACKAGE RETURN SERVICE" label. It appears to be a standard First Class Package label purchased by an on-line user, so the USPS should have more info on the person who bought it.

If eBay provided you with the tracking number of the Return Service label that you issued, does it match the number on the label you posted here earlier?

Message 28 of 42
latest reply

@glenvonnie wrote:

Can you find a way to report the phone as stolen ?, that will prevent it's use and make it essentially worthless

Usually useless, these phones end up in countries that don't abide by blacklists.

Message 29 of 42
latest reply

In cases like this ebay should require that the actual label that buyer used be submitted for investigation. A buyer altering a label that can be seen photographed by the USPS should prove the scam. All it would take would be USPS directly sending the evidence to ebay to stop this nonsense. I would go for that. 

Message 30 of 42
latest reply