cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay is letting scammers getting away, actually encouraging them. I am out $525 right now.

Here is the time line of this return, new buyer with 0 feedback and from overseas opens this claim for "Not as described".   To my surprise I received the envelope in the pictures instead of the item ( an iPhone 12 pro Max)  yesterday and contacted eBay right away.  Follow all the steps to report this scammers and escalated the return, eBay sides with the scammer, even after submitting an appeal and with the proof clear as day.

I am lost for words that eBay actually sided with this scammer, and I am desperately trying to get my money back.

After reviewing your appeal, we won't be able to change the outcome of the case, unfortunately.
After reviewing this case, we decided to keep the original outcome.
We understand how frustrating it is that the item's condition changed but, unfortunately, we didn't receive proof that the buyer caused the issue.
You won't receive a refund for this case.

History
Feb 16Feb 16 The appeal was closedThe appeal was closed
Feb 16Feb 16 You sent us an appealYou sent us an appeal MessageMessage I contacted eBay earlier today in regards to this scam attempt. The buyer returned a pink envelope using the return shipping label that he got for the return, there was hair pins on it. The eBay rep gave me guidance and a reference number. I am attaching a picture of the envelope that was received.I contacted eBay earlier today in regards to this scam attempt. The buyer returned a pink envelope using the return shipping label that he got for the return, there was hair pins on it. The eBay rep gave me guidance and a reference number. I am attaching a picture of the envelope that was received.
We reviewed this case and decided to issue the buyer a full refund.
We understand that you received your item in a different condition than when you shipped it, but unfortunately we couldn't determine that this was caused by the buyer, or that this was something in the buyer's control.
A refund of US $525.00 was issued on Feb 16, 2023 to the buyer. The refund includes the purchase price plus original shipping.
The refund amount will be recovered from you by eBay.
Feb 16Feb 16 The case was resolvedThe case was resolved
Feb 16Feb 16 The case openedThe case opened MessageMessage Scam attempt by buyer, buyer sent this envelope with hair fasteners in it, instead of actual item. I have attached pictures for you to review them. I have also contacted customer support and was giving this service request number. Scam attempt by buyer, buyer sent this envelope with hair fasteners in it, instead of actual item. I have attached pictures for you to review them. I have also contacted customer support and was giving this service request number. Feb 11Feb 11 Buyer requested a returnBuyer requested a return MessageMessage Hello, the phone you have sent is not catching any wi-fi signal and because of item is defective I request for a return. Thanks in advanceHello, the phone you have sent is not catching any wi-fi signal and because of item is defective I request for a return. Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 42
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: eBay is letting scammers getting away, actually encouraging them. I am out $525 right now.

Never in a million years would I sell a cell phone to an overseas customer or even a US customer on here. Hot scam items. Always been a problem here to a greater percentage than many other items.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 11 of 42
latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

Re: eBay is letting scammers getting away, actually encouraging them. I am out $525 right now.

There is real risk selling here. Never sell an item you can't afford to lose. Apple items "bring them out of the woodwork" too.  High value easy to flip for cash items are an extreme risk.  Sorry it happened to you. Return fraud is a fast growing problem in all forms of sales.

Message 2 of 42
latest reply

If the scammer used the return label supplied by ebay it appears there's someone at the freight forwarder that's complicit in the scam if it was sent from there and not from the buyer's actual overseas address.

I'm not sure what it's going to take to get ebay to step up to the plate on these scams.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 3 of 42
latest reply

@toomuchstuffagain35 

Curiouser and curiouser... the tracking shows that the shipment originated in Belleville, NJ. 

Message 4 of 42
latest reply

That is weird.

Message 5 of 42
latest reply

@toomuchstuffagain35 wrote:

If the scammer used the return label supplied by ebay it appears there's someone at the freight forwarder that's complicit in the scam if it was sent from there and not from the buyer's actual overseas address.

Return labels generated through eBay would say: FIRST-CLASS PKG RETURN SERVICE

That one says: FIRST-CLASS PKG

The "9302" tracking and "no postage necessary" is consistent with an eBay return label.

The tracking history shows the package originated in a different state than the return address.

Appears the scammer had some junk shipped to the OP, but there's definitely something fishy with that label.

OP - did you file USPS fraud, IC3 and police reports before you sent in the appeal to back up your claim?

Message 6 of 42
latest reply

Inform your buyer and maybe even the freight forwarder that you're calling the police and Reporting this theft. And then follow through and actually open up an investigation. Contact eBay support on Facebook once you open up an investigation and have a case number.

Message 7 of 42
latest reply

Good catch. 

Message 8 of 42
latest reply

Can you find a way to report the phone as stolen ?, that will prevent it's use and make it essentially worthless

Message 9 of 42
latest reply

I'm sorry this happened to you. Sellers on these boards are constantly reporting that fraudsters have gotten free phones this way. I've been lucky but my items aren't exactly scam magnets. They also report that buyers shipping to freight forwarders in Delaware are particularly likely to be scammers.

From eBay's perspective, based on the pictures you provided, at least five things could reasonably have happened.

(1) You mailed your buyer a card because you wanted to defraud the buyer. The buyer returned your card and you are now claiming they returned a different item so you don't have to refund them.

(2) You mailed your buyer a phone and the buyer returned a card.

(3) You mailed you buyer a phone, the shipper stole it and replaced it with a card. 

(4) You mailed the buyer a phone, the buyer got a phone and it was not as described. The buyer returned a phone. The shipper stole the phone and replaced it with a card.

(5) You mailed a phone and your buyer returned a phone. You are claiming the buyer returned a card because you don't want to issue a refund.

In one of these cases, the buyer was a fraud. In two of them, you were the fraud. In two of them, the Post Office is to blame but both of you are blaming the other for the problem and the seller is responsible for the Post Office's handling in any event. In no case do your pictures establish what really happened among these possibilities.

I have read on these boards that you can get evidence from the Post Office about the actual weight and size of the packages as measured by the Post Office that were shipped using the original label and the return label. That would at least establish that the package mailed back by the seller wasn't the same size as the one you sent them and helps to eliminate a couple of these possibilities. I don't know that eBay is always persuaded by that evidence but it is better than what you sent eBay when you appealed.

I wish you luck. I hope you can appeal and convince eBay of what happened.

Message 10 of 42
latest reply

Never in a million years would I sell a cell phone to an overseas customer or even a US customer on here. Hot scam items. Always been a problem here to a greater percentage than many other items.

Message 11 of 42
latest reply

@mtgraves7984 wrote:

@toomuchstuffagain35 

Curiouser and curiouser... the tracking shows that the shipment originated in Belleville, NJ. 

@technoshoptotalwireless : Given that the label was purchased on-line, the person who bought it would be a "known sender" to the USPS. They should have the label purchaser's actual ID in their in-house intranet system. It might be worth a visit to your local PO to show them the label and ask them if they would look that up for you. (They don't have to share that info with you, so some diplomacy may be needed, but you might also file a mail fraud report while you're there.)

Message 12 of 42
latest reply

I recently had a "stuck" first-class package during a research case.

Anyway, the post office could actually see a picture of my package.  Size, color, shape, and label.

If the post office has pictures of every mail piece...

KrazzyKats  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1998

Message 13 of 42
latest reply

That is weird.

@toomuchstuffagain35 

@technoshoptotalwireless 

@mtgraves7984 

Looks to me like a variation of the "cheap trinket return scam".   For years, this has been part of scam ploy used by international "buyers" that use a freight forwarder (that area of Delaware is their favorite).  

The "buyer" files a NAD claim.  The merchandise is already out of the country, but in order to get a refund, they must show delivery confirmation "proof" of a return (of anything).  Since the seller (if they are unaware of the protection issues involving freight forwarders) only has to issue a return label from US the forwarder address as if it was a "normal" return case. 

In the past, the international "buyer" did not use the eBay label provided, and would simply order a cheap item to be shipped to the seller from Amazon or other online retailer.  Ebay's return system is run by bots, and never check the origin of that label.  It is a system that works for the crooks.  Buy an Iphone, send back a box of rubber bands from Amazon.  

Sometimes they would use a variation of the "fake tracking scam" for the return by shipping the proverbial box of rubber bands to another address in the seller's zipcode.   

Please note that it is a simple matter to use the eBay label and change the printed  'to or from' address information from the original as well.  Of course, it is against the law, but a user in another country doesn't care much about that.  I would be seriously comparing the original eBay label (font and placement, etc.) to the one on that envelope. 

It is very common  for eBay to throw the seller under the bus in these instances with the automated bot return system, and the outsourced foreign call center reps that are powerless to do anything about this.  If they get the seller victim to "give up", eBay saves some money. 

I would approach this once more with the eBay reps that monitor the social media portals, and explain that this was indeed a "Freight Forwarder" sale/issue.  Depending on the mood of the day, and what planets are aligned, buyers lose protection for Money Back Guarantee claims, which should never have been dropped on the seller in the first place.  

Use the big blue MESSAGE button on  the top this page, giving your user ID, item number, and what has transpired so far, with regard to being denied an appeal though the regular automated channels (you can also upload photos) here when needed. 

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness

or

https://twitter.com/askebay

Good luck with this,  and let us know what transpires. 

Message 14 of 42
latest reply

We actually sell dozens of items (phones and tablets) to customers overseas using forwarding companies.

Lots of customer in Latin America use Miami FL forwarding companies and Easter European use Wilmington DE.   Extremely rarely have we had and scam attempt like this one.

And the question is not whether or not we can afford taking a loss on this transaction. 

It is just by principle, you don't want this to happen and will do anything I can to have eBay take action against these scammers. 

The label used, is the one generated by eBay btw. 

Message 15 of 42
latest reply