cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay is closing....!

It won't happen today or tomorrow...  but the reason eBay is going to close is that Sellers when selling are being precluded by eBay trying to make money. It's no longer an auction site, it's too regulated and Sellers are always on the hook.

So I don't sell much on eBay anymore, in fact I avoid it like the plague...  for two main reasons:

1) Their fees are ridiculous... do I need to say more.

2) eBay looking for revenue streams, to make up for lost sales, are listing other sellers items in your auction before you even get to the description of the item that you're trying to sell.

Just venting about the system and how its morphed from what it used to be, really unique, to just another site trying to make money from the small guy.

Message 1 of 54
latest reply
53 REPLIES 53

eBay is closing....!

Talk of ebay's demise has been going on for 20 yrs.........

Message 2 of 54
latest reply

eBay is closing....!

Make sure you take down all of your listings.

Message 3 of 54
latest reply

eBay is closing....!

It is not eBay that will be closing. It will be all the Sellers who complain and leave.

But dollar to dollar it is more profitable to sell here than having a B&M.

I know because I run both. 

Message 4 of 54
latest reply

eBay is closing....!

"It's no longer an auction site"

Hasn't been one for over a decade and my business has grown in that time.

"Their fees are ridiculous"

Trying selling on your own with a standard consignment 50/50 split, or worse, pay rent and utilities with a B&M store.  

Message 5 of 54
latest reply

eBay is closing....!

lol seriously stop

Message 6 of 54
latest reply

eBay is closing....!

It won't happen today or tomorrow

The United States will also cease to exist at some point in the future. But since I didn't say when, my prediction is also meaningless. 

Their fees are ridiculous... do I need to say more.

Fees on media:

• 2010: 15.9% (13% to eBay; 2.9% to PayPal)  + 30 cents
  • 2024: 13.25% + 30 or 40 cents

Fees on other sales:

• 2010: 12.9% (10% to eBay; 2.9% to PayPal)  + 30 cents
  • 2024: 13.25% + 30 or 40 cents

Message 7 of 54
latest reply

eBay is closing....!

If you sell on other sites, you are still going to have to pay fees, etc.  Of the items you currently have listed, the Jenn Air parts are going to have a limited audience, only someone needing a particular replacement part.  Craigslist and Marketplace don't have all those fees but you are also having to wait for someone "local" who is looking for that part, which is not likely to happen quickly.   

I know you think eBay is ridiculous but it is still your best place to sell because you have millions of potential buyers , especially someone who is looking for a specific item like you sell. 

There are auctions still being run on eBay and those still work very well for collectible or desirable items.  For most other items, fixed price is best because buyers want an item now and want to receive it promptly; they don't want to wait around for several days for an auction to end.  That would be especially true if they needed a part to repair something and they needed it asap.

Message 8 of 54
latest reply

eBay is closing....!

You are not forced to use ebay. There are many options available to you in the great wide world of mercantilism. You may need to walk outside of your personal bubble & explore them.

Message 9 of 54
latest reply

eBay is closing....!

@ampapa1 wrote:

So I don't sell much on eBay anymore, in fact I avoid it like the plague... 

Really? You have 6 items listed, one of them was listed yesterday ....and you have a store. Lol

Avoiding like the plague....NOT!

Message 10 of 54
latest reply

eBay is closing....!

@ampapa1 

Thanks for letting us know.  I was wondering what was going on. 

Have a great day.

Message 11 of 54
latest reply

eBay is closing....!

@goodbrakes 

The sellers who come hear to vent and complain, seldom leave.  The OP is still selling...lol

Happy Selling!

Message 12 of 54
latest reply

eBay is closing....!

The sun is dying... 

Laugh now, but in another 5 billion years you won't be laughing. And I predict eBay will be gone way before then. 🙄

Message 13 of 54
latest reply

eBay is closing....!

Ebay isn't going anywhere any time soon. E commerce has it's problem no matter the platform. Ebay has the biggest reach and actually is safer than many other platforms for the seller.

Message 14 of 54
latest reply

eBay is closing....!

@goodbrakes Thanks for this perspective, it's interesting to hear someone who is on eBay and has a physical location. I sell vintage and I hear vintage sellers on Instagram, etc. starting their own shops or getting a booth at an antique mall. On the one hand, being able to have a customer see an item in person and ask questions is amazing, but when I think of paying rent, risking damage from someone dropping an item (or stealing it), staffing a bricks and mortar space, trying to get a landlord to fix the furnace or a leaky roof - all of that makes me want to stick with online only. 

Message 15 of 54
latest reply