cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay is STEALING money from sellers

eBay has NO RIGHT to steal ,yes STEAL, money meant for shipping, from sellers. When a seller puts a shipping price in, the price they’re quoting is the actual shipping cost. But eBay ,for some reason, believes they’re entitled to take 13.5% of that shipping money therefore having the seller themselves make up the difference. 
Ebay already takes 13.5% from the final auction price. That should be it! They have nothing to do with shipping. They’re not handling the item in any way, shape or form. If it cost $10 to ship, that is exactly what the seller should receive, not $8.65. 
eBay has become greedy in their practice of stealing money from sellers, from the same people who allow them to exist. 
*Im aware what TOS says, that doesn’t make it right. 

Message 1 of 112
latest reply
111 REPLIES 111

Re: eBay is STEALING money from sellers

@ebeths_eclectic_collectibles wrote:

And so many buyers act like you are over charging them if you even want to charge them just the price of the label. Never mind the cost of packaging etc...

I honestly don't get this complaint much anymore.  I did years ago.  But for me, buyers seem more accepting of the high price of shipping these days.

When we have a rate increase, it may take a few weeks for buyers to adapt, but they do adapt.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 76 of 112
latest reply

Simple Fix, Charge more for shipping than it cost's you to ship the item to cover any outside cost. Very simple, easy, clean & saves you time from having to come here.

Message 77 of 112
latest reply

Clearly you don't understand my point at all.  I do not care if the rate is the same.  The fact that we pay eBay a % of the shipping is a ripoff.  I do not care that it has been in place for 12 years.  It just means it has been a ripoff for 12 years.   lol  If sellers chose to pay a larger FVF fee because they offered free shipping, that is not my problem.  However, to be 'fair' to those sellers, eBay chose to be 'unfair' to every other seller who did the opposite.

Message 78 of 112
latest reply

@sakic92710 wrote:

Then seller B can switch it to $20 + $9.  They are not pulling the wool over anyone's eyes by thinking they are swallowing the S/H cost..

Although 90% of ALL e-commerce websites, from Lowes, Home Depot, Amazon, Walmart etc. all PUSH you to get your 'cart' to $X in order to get FREE shipping.

95% of ALL consumers like 'Free' stuff and 'Free Shipping' works as has been proven over the past 30 years. 

If I need to return an $20 item that I paid $5 shipping vs. an item that is $25 Free Shipping, I could wind up only getting the $20 back (depending on reason for return with the previous) but if 'FREE' shipping, I get the whole $25 back 

Even though you believe that sellers that use 'free shipping' are just 'slow' at math, what you don't realize is that if your direct competition does it, you better do it. 

There is also a box to tick on the left that will 'filter down' a search result to just 'FREE' shipping and therefore your item would NOT be shown; an 'option' that is just another way to NOT sell something.

So, there are MANY good reasons to do it. 

Message 79 of 112
latest reply

@sakic92710 wrote:

Clearly you don't understand my point at all.  I do not care if the rate is the same.  The fact that we pay eBay a % of the shipping is a ripoff.  I do not care that it has been in place for 12 years.  It just means it has been a ripoff for 12 years.   lol  If sellers chose to pay a larger FVF fee because they offered free shipping, that is not my problem.  However, to be 'fair' to those sellers, eBay chose to be 'unfair' to every other seller who did the opposite.

I understand you, we simply don't agree.  It is a 12 year old subject.  Long past time to get over it.  It is here to stay.  All similar sites do it as well, so the grass is not greener on the other side.

If you feel so passionately about it, your only recourse is to not list on this site.  Ebay is not being unfair, it is simply you don't recognize it as an industry norm.

Message 80 of 112
latest reply

Just stop and think for just a moment.  Would your rather distribute that sales tax to the various taxing authorities you ship to in each of those states  in a timely manner or  have eBay do it for a small fee?  BTW there are just 5 states that do not have a sales tax)    Personally, live in a  state (Georgia) where there are multiple different sales tax %ages for different counties - from #% to 9%,  in one county there are two different sales tax amounts depending on where you live in Atlanata.  Plus sales taxes can change from  time to time - governments luv to change the tax revenues to their benefit.  Your state may do something similar - check it out for yourself. 

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 81 of 112
latest reply

Well I understand you are talking about shipping but as they do stealing money try putting a restriction on my account as I have $3,800.00 on there and I did every thing they ask so what do they do put another restriction and tell you that if you take care of it all will be good so I did and then take a guess on what they do next yup put another restriction i did so many of them and completed them as my house had a fire so I'm staying at my folks place why mine is getting repaired and I put my address as where I am residing at and my dad owed $7.38 they put a restriction on me for that and I took care of that even and they said again after you take care of that it will be lifted it has been so bad we had to put the electric bill in my name we did that cost us money to change over so thank we done nope know they want to review my business so they can determine if I can keep up with inventory my business ya my business what business im just a guy selling stuff I got over year selling on eBay so no Matter what I do they just put another restriction on me so they don't have to pay me my money it is a good scam I'll give them that much because with restriction on no payouts  I have give up on trying to lift the restriction I'm guessing that was there planned from the beginning but I won't sell them short it is a pretty good scam 

Message 82 of 112
latest reply

@ya_795506 

You got some specific problems going on.  I'm very sorry to hear about your house.  I sincerely hope it can be repaired soon for you.

First, you need to understand that Ebay has Federal LAWS in which it has to comply with.  They can't make an exception for certain sellers, it applies to all of them.  Now that Ebay is the Money Processor many new laws came into play.  One of those is your Primary address on your account HAS TO match perfectly with your information on your Bank Account.  No exceptions.

So if you changed your Primary address to your parents place and not your banking info, that would be one issue.

Putting an electric bill in your name was an option, not the only option.

Ebay is not plotting against you.  I know it may feel that way, but they aren't.  I'm going to give you some info here, make sure you look at each section closely as the answer likely lies within.

Please review the below link carefully. It contains very important information as to how Ebay needs to see the information you provide them on your account. It is likely easier to change your Ebay account to match your bank account if you find there to be a difference.

https://www.ebay.com/sh/fin/dlp

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/registering-seller?id=4792

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Payments-Resources/Have-questions-about-payments-Check-out-this-post-f...

Ebay has had a rule for many years that pertains to New Seller and sellers that have been away from selling for 90+ days. The following is the policy that outlines why you money is likely on hold.

https://export.ebay.com/en/fees-and-payments/payments/payment-holds/

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/getting-paid-items-youve-sold/payments-hold?id=4816&&...

Message 83 of 112
latest reply

First of all, eBay has been charging its FVF on the shipping fee in addition to the item cost since about 2008 or so.  

Regarding free shipping, you are selling an item for $30 plus $10 shipping, so buyer pays you $40.

I am selling that same item for $40 with free shipping and the buyer pays me $40. 

Can you explain exactly which of us is making more money? 

If that buyer believes he got a better deal from me than from you, how is that my fault? 

Message 84 of 112
latest reply

Were you around in the very early days of eBay, when there were sellers, and I mean LOTS of sellers, not just a few, who were listing their $100 item for $1 plus $99 shipping and thus were paying the FVF on $1? 

Message 85 of 112
latest reply

A monopoly on what -- auction sites? Selling on line? Selling internationally? 

How do you figure?  

Message 86 of 112
latest reply

@forestllc wrote:

too bad eBay has a monopoly 

@forestllc 

Competitors of Ebay is a LONG list.  Not many of the competitors do auctions anymore because most buyers don't like them.  Even for Ebay auctions are not what they use to be and are now 20% or less of the listings on Ebay.  They work well in some categories and not much at all in others.

However there are Auction sites out there too.

So would you mind popping back in and explaining what you feel is a "monopoly" about Ebay so we can better understand.

Message 87 of 112
latest reply

If you've not already, you will eventually discover that the people who make the most intriguing remarks never return and explain them.  

Message 88 of 112
latest reply

Actually the buyer is getting ripped off, as the seller we just have to mark our price up to make up the difference, eBay is telling them it cost  $5 and some change to ship when it really cost $3.86, and this breakdown is not shown to the buyer, it really is a criminal act, and sales tax should definitely not have anything taken from it but they still do it's 13.25% of the overall value of everything included, I'm amazed a class action lawsuit hasn't been filed against them yet.

Message 89 of 112
latest reply

@mikescoincarnival27 wrote:

Actually the buyer is getting ripped off, as the seller we just have to mark our price up to make up the difference, eBay is telling them it cost  $5 and some change to ship when it really cost $3.86, and this breakdown is not shown to the buyer, it really is a criminal act, and sales tax should definitely not have anything taken from it but they still do it's 13.25% of the overall value of everything included, I'm amazed a class action lawsuit hasn't been filed against them yet.

Nor should the breakdown be shown the buyer.  What site does that?  Are you looking for trouble???

"Criminal", what crime?  Dang go after all the sites that do it, you will need a very large law firm since EVERYONE does it.

Whether sales tax is charged on shipping is in the hands of EACH State.  Ebay has to obey the laws of EACH state, so if the state requires sales tax on shipping, then the buyer is going to get charged for sales tax on the shipping.  Now you want Ebay to break the law by not charging it????

Message 90 of 112
latest reply