cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay, if you keep acting like this I might just fall in love...

Yeah it's a corny subject line, but is is a kudos-for-eBay post. I'm not a big seller and my eBay experience is mostly smooth and uninteresting. Today I find this in my messages (not sure what I'm allowed to post, so I blurred out the details):

discountkittycat_1-1710731455328.png

Wow, so very cool! (I mean, obviously I wish there wasn't a return at all..)  This was an international sale, I remember the buyer seemed really cautious about buying this item (messaged back and forth a few times asking for details, etc.), but nothing raised any red flags. Purchase came through, I shipped same-day, just another ordinary sale. I never got any notification of a return request, I have no idea what the buyer's reason was for returning the item, this message was literally the first notice I received.  eBay just handled it, EXACTLY as their policy says. 

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Yes, the buyer has to deal with eBay directly and the seller is out of the picture.

A lot of the these International buyers don't realize they are going to end up dealing with eBay directly on these EIS returns.

Wondering what the eBay tolerance threshold is going to be if they get EIS buyers that are hibitual returners or scammers?   Anyone?

Posting ID
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

I had read their written policy, but it seemed too good to be true. How wonderful that you can keep the sales proceeds.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

yep thats how it works  great news

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Really it's only right that they take responsibility for EIS returns, because think about it: when your package arrives at the eBay hub, employees handle it, may open it for inspection, repackage it, drop it, steal it, who knows what.  And then THEY choose the carrier entity to pay the buyer's international shipping money to, not you, so who's to say they don't base those business relationships on cost over trustworthiness?  Either way it's out of your control.  So ultimately once the item is in their hands, it is like they (eBay) bought it from you, and that's why the money is yours, period.  

If it was allowed to share member i.d.'s here, I would show you exactly what they do with returns and non-forwardable items.  Suffice it to say those items go right back up for sale here on eBay, even using your photos and description, competing with your (actual) own live listings.  I discovered it by accident; boy howdy was that a trip. 

So, I get why them handling a return for you feels like love, but it's really more like a spouse seeming sweet just because they didn't beat you today.  😆  

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

EIS Shipping terminates the MBG upon receipt in the Hub<

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Yes this is part of the new EIS program.  It is a very good program for sellers.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 7 of 15
latest reply

There’s no way of knowing if a listing ships to an international country directly from the seller or from EIS is there?

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Are you asking as a buyer looking at another sellers listings?  If the seller is using EIS than the service specified will be eBay international shipping.  Otherwise the listing will show another international service,

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

... and yet you still have those sellers who refuse to use EIS.

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 10 of 15
latest reply

@randallmorefield wrote:

EIS Shipping terminates the MBG upon receipt in the Hub<

Not so.

eIS removes the seller from the process, but the MBG is for the "buyer", and it remains intact.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

Because the buyers want many items and don't want to pay insane shipping to Canada on each item they buy (when I can ship all items in one package directly cheaper). So with EIS I lose the sale and buyer shops elsewhere, with cheap direct shipping I have many Canadian buyers.

The EIS is a good program but because it doesn't work well with my Canadian customers I opted out.

C.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

@sin-n-dex wrote:

@inhawaii wrote:

Because the buyers want many items and don't want to pay insane shipping to Canada on each item they buy (when I can ship all items in one package directly cheaper). So with EIS I lose the sale and buyer shops elsewhere, with cheap direct shipping I have many Canadian buyers.

The EIS is a good program but because it doesn't work well with my Canadian customers I opted out.

C.

Gotcha!

How about it's a no-brainer for "most" sellers?    

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

@sin-n-dex wrote:

@inhawaii wrote:

C.

Gotcha!

How about it's a no-brainer for "most" sellers?    

Selling most things, probably so. One thing I sell is stamps in envelopes that are just paid for with postage... not a good EIS item. I had one lot that didn't have Australia price and someone bought it and got charged $30 for a $2 stamp. She asked to cancel. I fixed the listing and put it back up and she repurchased and paid $4 for postage.

I think what you sell will determine if the EIS is a good fit. It's probably a good fit on lots of items (even in my store) but all that really inexpensive stuff that ships really cheap is not good EIS stuff.

C.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

IDK why I've never thought about this before, but are there not U.S. freight forwarders for Canada? I'm guessing there's something I'm not realizing about it, but it would seem a potentially good business especially for someone right near the border, like if they drummed up enough steady business they could do a weekly-or-so drive across the border and to the nearest Canadian post office.  Or would that be illegal?  LOL like I said I'm probably ignorant of pertinent facts.  

Message 15 of 15
latest reply