cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay forcing white background on images looks terrible sitewide!

I am extremely disappointed with eBay's recent decision to force a white background on images used in listings. This change has resulted in unsightly white panels being added to the sides and tops of product thumbnails, severely detracting from the overall visual appeal of the platform. It not only makes listings look unprofessional but also disrupts the consistency and aesthetic quality that sellers work hard to maintain. eBay should prioritize user-friendly features and consult with its community before implementing such detrimental alterations to the platform's interface.

Screenshot_2.jpg

Screenshot_1.jpg

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@chapeau-noir wrote:

The few white panels on my photos are added by me when I realise that the photo isn't square. 

Square and non-square images don't seem to display the same across eBay platforms. Non-square images are heavily cropped on the app and look terrible, but they display fine on desktop and on a phone when not using the app.

Another annoyance: I often see the "white" borders as gray, and gray for the entire background on pics that were uploaded with a pure white background. Also not entirely consistent across devices. Shouldn't consistency be the goal?

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

The few white panels on my photos are added by me when I realise that the photo isn't square. 

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

All of our photos are 1:1. I've also checked other seller's photos too that are 1:1. This is sitewide, not just our photos. What eBay has done is stretch the horizontal aspect ratio.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-policies/images-text-policy?id=4240

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

Square and non-square images don't seem to display the same across eBay platforms. Non-square images are heavily cropped on the app and look terrible, but they display fine on desktop and on a phone when not using the app.

Another annoyance: I often see the "white" borders as gray, and gray for the entire background on pics that were uploaded with a pure white background. Also not entirely consistent across devices. Shouldn't consistency be the goal?

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@topbestsavings wrote:

I am extremely disappointed with eBay's recent decision to force a white background on images used in listings. This change has resulted in unsightly white panels being added to the sides and tops of product thumbnails, severely detracting from the overall visual appeal of the platform. It not only makes listings look unprofessional but also disrupts the consistency and aesthetic quality that sellers work hard to maintain. 

What you consider to be unsightly white panels in images and detracting from the "consistency and aesthetic quality that sellers work hard to maintain" is less important to me than knowing that the quality of items a seller sells is going to be "as described." I don't want to receive junk and be told by the seller that he attempted to resolve issues in messages. Messages don't make junk into a usable product. 

I'd be more concerned with the quality of the products I sell than with pictures showing too much white space. 

JMHO.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

I'm looking at the cross listing on my desktop and don't see any white panels, on either the large pic or the thumbnails. Make sure your pictures are over 500 pixels wide, and 500 long, so you don't need any adjustments on eBay's part. All your listings look fine.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Yeah i'm looking at photos across eBay too. Maybe it was a software glitch on their end. The white panels were visible at the time of posting this topic. Looks like eBay fixed it.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

This post is about a software glitch with eBay that it looks like is now resolved. Not to attack other sellers like a toddler on the playground.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Yes, hopefully. Or maybe the OP did.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@lux.ra_14  Yes - I keep my photos 1:1 so they display well on mobile. It's hard to tell on my desktop because the background on most of my photos is white, so if they're adding anything, I don't see it. I did check the few photos that I don't have a white background and see that 'border' but know I added it - I mentioned it because I wasn't sure if I understood what the OP was seeing.

I have seen the dirty gray, though - adding white borders doesn't bother me, but the dingy gray really detracts.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 11 of 11
latest reply