cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay closed an INR case in my favor, but my 1099 shows that sale as $0?

Has this happened to anyone else? The buyer opened a case because they said they didn’t receive the item. eBay told me it was closed in my favor with no refund to the buyer because the tracking I provided showed it was delivered. When filing taxes today, I noticed that item had $0.00 listed for the total sale, with -$20.52, those totals coming from the final value fees and shipping label costs. Is this an error on eBay’s part?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

More details please.

When did the transaction happen?

How much was the total sale?

If you have a refund amount showing on your account, maybe Ebay did refund the buyer.

On a 1099K, the number that is reported to the IRS is the total money that came INTO your Managed Payment account BEFORE any kind of deduction is taken for Ebay fees, shipping fees or refunds.  So it appears you might not be looking at something correctly in regards to the number on your 1099K.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Not much information on where you pulled the numbers from. If you are getting these from the yearly detailed transaction report look at the refunds during the year and see if you find anything. If you can post a screen shot of the report information that may help to identify the issue. 

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Sorry, it wasn't on my 1099K but through my seller hub and looking at last year's sales. I found the order and it shows the buyer received a refund, but eBay paid it. It still shows my actual sale proceeds under "What you earned". 

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

@bhrangerfan0809 wrote:

Sorry, it wasn't on my 1099K but through my seller hub and looking at last year's sales. I found the order and it shows the buyer received a refund, but eBay paid it. It still shows my actual sale proceeds under "What you earned". 

Your 1099K reports your Gross Receipts.  Total amount of money that came INTO your MP account BEFORE any deductions for any reason.  So the transaction would have been represented in your 1099K number.

Now in a case like this, you would NOT reduce or subtract this refund from your Gross Receipts number because YOU never refunded the buyer therefore you did NOT send the refund to the buyer so you still have your money.  

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 5 of 5
latest reply