cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay changing excluded international locations to now automatically allow it

Email today from ebay: 

<<We're writing to let you know that starting June 6, your eBay International Shipping settings will be updated to automatically manage excluded shipping locations for your listings. This change will help you reach even more buyers on a global scale, as your items will be available to locations based on their export eligibility. Our International Shipping Policy has also been updated to reflect this change.  If you’d like to opt out of this change, please let us know before June 2 by clicking the link below. You can also disable this feature after it’s been implemented by switching the toggle button at the top of the Exclusions page under Shipping preferences.>>

If I wanted to ship internationally, I *would*.  But the logistics & licensing required for some of my legal, but internationally regulated, products  makes it such a costly nightmare, it isn't worth.  And, no, as far as I can see, they are not actually taking on the licensing requirement so I can ship internationally. 

Shame on you, ebay, for trying to force things.  (And yes, I see that supposedly there is an opt-out, but that just means I have to watch all my auctions for yet another thing they are trying to sneak in.) 

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Chances are your items would be automatically excluded from international shipping if you have them in the right categories and eBay knows they're not allowed in many places (at least without special licensing), but I get it!  I find it really odd that they're making this automatic, even though for us we've loved using the eIS.  I get that it isn't right for you.  Glad you're aware enough to opt out, but that is annoying!

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

When I read eBay's fine print on this, they don't actually cover everything.  You still have to have a license to export certain items, so they aren't covering that.
They aren’t covering the Proof of Filing Citation (PFC) that is required to be filed with U.S. Census Bureau for items over $2,500 or those requiring an export license.
They aren't covering the issues of Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) for Sellers, which requires certain forms to prove your packaging and product complies with various recycling provisions.  (look up the eBay articles on it and also note that eBay says they don't actually replace the shipping materials you use to send to the hub.) 

I don't have the time, energy, or interest to  fill out all this extra paperwork and then try to see that it is submitted to the correct place because eBay is not actually taking all responsibility for all the legal stuff. 

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Can you explain what this means?  I use EIS shipping only to Europe and North America and I exclude many items which are breakable.  Will eBay make all countries available to ship to even if I don't want to go there? Thanks.  🙂  

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

The message I received said they were changing everyone's default to international shipping, unless you opted out.  So, check your settings or contact eBay directly? 

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

If you manually exclude any specific countries, eIS will respect that and not make those things available there (we have things not eligible for sale to Germany, and while sometimes it knows, we have a special shipping policy set up that excludes Germany for when we know it's going to be a problem).  I wouldn't worry about breakable items that much, though, eBay will cover any damage in shipping if it reaches their hub intact, which is a normal domestic shipping process and you should be able to prevent damage for that leg of the shipment yourself.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@flp wrote:

Can you explain what this means?  I use EIS shipping only to Europe and North America and I exclude many items which are breakable.  Will eBay make all countries available to ship to even if I don't want to go there? Thanks.  🙂  

Yes; but this is all for naught as there IS A BUTTON where you can 'opt out' IMMEDIATELY, right on the email message. You will probably receive an email- but if not, just opt out as stated in the 'email message' sent by ebay as shown posted in Post #1. 

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@brightlightbookseller wrote:

If you manually exclude any specific countries, eIS will respect that and not make those things available there (we have things not eligible for sale to Germany, and while sometimes it knows, we have a special shipping policy set up that excludes Germany for when we know it's going to be a problem).  I wouldn't worry about breakable items that much, though, eBay will cover any damage in shipping if it reaches their hub intact, which is a normal domestic shipping process and you should be able to prevent damage for that leg of the shipment yourself.

@brightlightbookseller That is NOT what the new 'email' states- it says, in short, on June 6, ALL EXCLUSIONS will be 'RAN BY' EIS- meaning they will 'ignore' your exlusions and take them over, UNLESS you opt out (which the message gives you the 'opt out' button right now, or look in 'preferences' on June 6 and toggle the 'opt out'. 

You are correct in 'not worrying about breakables' but I'm sure, very soon, EIS will STOP covering 'refunds' for buyers. 

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Shoot, I missed that in the email.  That's actually a little worrisome, since like I said, we have some books that we can't export to Germany and I doubt eBay's system is going to be smart enough to know that (they simply portay Swasitkas, or other Nazi imagery, in a way that isn't allowed in Germany, which has stricter laws on that).  I don't even know off-hand if we have any listed right now, but I know we have before.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@stainlessenginecovers wrote:

but I'm sure, very soon, EIS will STOP covering 'refunds' for buyers. 

I don't think so. EIS repacks if they feel it is necessary. The EU requires orders be returnable. Ebay wants International business because they believe it is more likely to grow than US business. They might be laying off the costs of broken products on their carriers. Sellers WILL turn off EIS if it costs them money.

This is a case which Ebay's interest is identical to the seller's interest.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

I've read too many posts about items taking forever to arrive internationally - or never arriving at all. Just today I read one about no US scans at one of the international shipping hubs, and I have personal experience with the USPS "Delivering for America" revamp where items just sit for days or weeks with little to no updated tracking. 

Back in the old days, when you filled out the customs forms by hand, I loved shipping internationally. It was fun and interesting. Now, I don't care to be charged an additional fee (previously had a Canadian buyer use a US address & was charged an additional fee because she is from outside the US) + have to worry about everything I've read about. I respect that others are willing to deal with it, but I'm not. 

Message 11 of 11
latest reply