cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Artificially Starving Sellers of Traffic

Last week I finally decided to take a stand on return labels misuses created by eBay as I could not longer ignore this costly blatant violation of eBay return shipment policy. I had a couple of items returned because the customer "simple did not like it" and the other one the customer claimed the "size of the t-shirt was too small" (even though on the item description the size guide was clearly stated). So in both cases due  to the reason for return the costumer was obligated to cover the return shipment cost. But in both cases eBay instead charged me for the return shipment cost even-though eBay own return policy state that "unless the item is damaged or not as described, in which case the sellers must cover return shipping costs otherwise for any other reason the buyer must covers the return shipping costs." 

I decided to contact eBay explaining eBay's return policy which I was unfairly charged against their policy. The eBay representative was not happy that I found the time to confront ebay with their return misuses **bleep**ery, but he had no choice as he had no counter argument against my argument as I was simply applying their return policy he reluctantly refunded me for the two return label in question. What happened after that is whats so unbelievably shocking to me. My sales went over the cliff, from around 100 sales weekly to 0 no sales in over a week. 

Have over 500 items listed on eBay and for the last 6 months I was making 14 sales on average on a daily bases, I never ever had a no sale day for even a single day. Allover sudden after confronting eBay with the return labels misuse I'm on my seventh day with 0 sales, yes for over a week I have ZERO sales. The odds of that happening naturally is very very slim, 100 average weekly sales to 0 sale is unbelievably slim chance. 

I did read few times before from ebay sellers talking about "eBay artificially starving sellers of traffic" but I never realized that eBay can be this pity and childish.  

What do you think about all of this? It would be interesting to hear your thoughts. 

Message 1 of 76
latest reply
75 REPLIES 75

I have used to have 400 to 600 items listed on 3 different eBay accounts. one store, I always had daily sales. I have not had 1 sale this month across teh board. I keep  checking the discussion boards to see if eBay is taking any notice.  I think they are just happy we are all leaving. I am learning to sell on other platforms. i am sad to leave eBay. It just isn't fun any more. 

Message 2 of 76
latest reply

I've experienced the same type of problem after submitting a survey in which I was pretty negative about. I had items relisted after they were sold without my knowledge, had to cancel the sale and found out it was a negative impact on my seller status. When I contacted eBay about it, they asked me to submit proof. After going in circles trying to find a way to prove it and being unsuccessful, I gave up. My sales have really plummeted since then and I am angry about the unfairness. I'm also pretty tired of having them change my listings to best offer accepted when I submitted the listing not wanting that. Finally, it drives me crazy when I have to receive so many emails and notices on my listings page suggesting that I lower my prices when they are at the bottom already. What a disappointment to add to my list of disappointments!

Message 3 of 76
latest reply

@textile_rescue wrote:

I have used to have 400 to 600 items listed on 3 different eBay accounts. one store, I always had daily sales. I have not had 1 sale this month across teh board. I keep  checking the discussion boards to see if eBay is taking any notice.  I think they are just happy we are all leaving. I am learning to sell on other platforms. i am sad to leave eBay. It just isn't fun any more. 

×××××××××××××××××××××

Within a recent ebay email, sent to recruit more new sellers

EBay states to " Kick back and watch the sales roll in" :upside_down

Message 4 of 76
latest reply

Tagging - I find it hard to believe that a lowly CS agent could flip the switches on your sales - but I'll say it's improbable but not impossible.

Ebay has been doing many changes to the site and unfortunately - those of us here long enough know that for every action there is several reactions to their changes as the IT is all **** up. No other platform or internet site has as many problems as Ebay and why I think so many of us have not had the sales we are use to. I didn't have a sale for a week on Ebay. Now I've been getting a couple every few days so I'm not complaining - just cross posting so I'll get sales someplace. 

Just now I went to print my shipping label and got the - Oh no - it's not you - it's us. Our server is down - how many buyers are going to hang around and wait for the server to come back up - they'll go buy elsewhere. This has probably popped up at least 10 times within the past week for me.

You can go to downdetector.com and see the problems - then skip down to the comments - all very similar to your situation.

Message 5 of 76
latest reply

@all-kindz wrote:

What do you think about all of this? 

I think .. 

(a) that eBay customer support representatives would not care whether you "confront edebay" - I doubt that they care all that much; 

(b) that eBay customer support representative do not have the the power to shut off your sales; and

(c) that if we had access to see your 500 listings that they would all be easily found in search and available for purchase. 

Message 6 of 76
latest reply

If CS has the power to refund they probably can switch off a few areas where your listings are seen, or recommend to their higher ups. 

I really think that the more your a problem the more they will retaliate with less sales. 

We all know they have hidden limits on sellers anyway. If you have a few weeks of good sales then the next week will be dead. That’s is how they limit sales, by manipulating searches. 

Dear God, please help me to be
the person my dog thinks I am.
Message 7 of 76
latest reply

@trustedbasset wrote:

I really think that the more your a problem the more they will retaliate with less sales. 

LOL

I think people are flatter themselves if they think anyone at eBay would give them a second thought, let alone "recommend" to "higher ups" that their sales be "limited". 

Message 8 of 76
latest reply

I had my papal mysteriously turned off when I left a bad feedback for a rep who told me wrong info that cost me $80 in bank account fees. They were another seller working as a rep and had access to my account settings. That is just basic account stuff too, a rep with more permissions could probably change your limits or something if they wanted.
Message 9 of 76
latest reply

@disorderlieder wrote:
I had my papal mysteriously turned off when I left a bad feedback for a rep who told me wrong info that cost me $80 in bank account fees. They were another seller working as a rep and had access to my account settings. That is just basic account stuff too, a rep with more permissions could probably change your limits or something if they wanted.

Can you explain further? 

What does "turned off" mean? You were unable to log into your account? Buyers were unable to pay you? 

And what do you mean by "they were another seller working as a rep" mean? Are you saying that another seller was working for you, or another seller was working as a PayPal customer supprt rep? Or something else? 

And where were you leaving feedback for this rep? On eBay? On PayPal? Somewhere else?

Message 10 of 76
latest reply

@all-kindz   Yes,  I think the venue can do this ... and in your case it sounds like they did.  I also think they would be cutting off their nose despite their face when it comes to cash flow from Sold item Fees ... I wonder who they really think they are penalizing???

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 11 of 76
latest reply

@all-kindz wrote:

Last week I finally decided to take a stand on return labels misuses created by eBay as I could not longer ignore this costly blatant violation of eBay return shipment policy. I had a couple of items returned because the customer "simple did not like it" and the other one the customer claimed the "size of the t-shirt was too small" (even though on the item description the size guide was clearly stated). So in both cases due  to the reason for return the costumer was obligated to cover the return shipment cost. But in both cases eBay instead charged me for the return shipment cost even-though eBay own return policy state that "unless the item is damaged or not as described, in which case the sellers must cover return shipping costs otherwise for any other reason the buyer must covers the return shipping costs." 

I decided to contact eBay explaining eBay's return policy which I was unfairly charged against their policy. The eBay representative was not happy that I found the time to confront ebay with their return misuses **bleep**ery, but he had no choice as he had no counter argument against my argument as I was simply applying their return policy he reluctantly refunded me for the two return label in question. What happened after that is whats so unbelievably shocking to me. My sales went over the cliff, from around 100 sales weekly to 0 no sales in over a week. 

Have over 500 items listed on eBay and for the last 6 months I was making 14 sales on average on a daily bases, I never ever had a no sale day for even a single day. Allover sudden after confronting eBay with the return labels misuse I'm on my seventh day with 0 sales, yes for over a week I have ZERO sales. The odds of that happening naturally is very very slim, 100 average weekly sales to 0 sale is unbelievably slim chance. 

I did read few times before from ebay sellers talking about "eBay artificially starving sellers of traffic" but I never realized that eBay can be this pity and childish.  

What do you think about all of this? It would be interesting to hear your thoughts. 

Another possible issue could be that your listings have fallen down in visibility as Ebay is openly pushing those that pay more for their Promoted Listings.  The CEO commented to Wall Street Analysts when discussing the poor 1st Quarter numbers for Ebay that Ebay had reduced its marketing expenses considerably which has resulted in lower sales, but this was anticipated.  However Promoted Listings has grown during that same time by 4% during this same period due to the increases in income from Promoted Listings as well as Managed Payments.  In other words if you are not willing to pay Ebay the additional trending rates (of course these are generated by Ebay and are confidential just like who is in your peer group) for Promoted listings do not expect to have your items seen.  It is no longer enough to just pay a listing fee or have a store and then pay their normal FVE, Ebay now needs you to give them additional fees in order for your items to be seen.  They know they cannot justify an across the board FVF increase based on their traffic and platform performance, so they throttle Sellers into submission and Promoted Listings, which is why more and more Sellers are moving their items to other sites to sell.  These fee increases are how eBay plans on growing their revenue for their Shareholders, regardless of what effects this has as a whole on their site.  They believe that enough Sellers will stay and pay the higher fees to more than offset the losses they are going to incur due to Sellers leaving eBay or reducing their listings significantly.

Ebay can't wait to force all Sellers into their Managed Payments plan starting next year, if i remember the timing correctly, as this will also give them a fee structure that they can control in its entirety.  They have already announced rise in the costs that Sellers will incur through Managed Payments starting in June 2019 but can be postponed until September 2019 if you Join Managed Payments now.  Ebay is going to start charging $0.25 per listing sold on an invoice where Paypal currently charges $0.30 transaction fee period.  This could result in a Seller paying $2.50 fee plus the 2.7% Discount fee if they sold say 10 different items to one seller.  These are the type of fees that Ebay is counting on to bail them out each quarter when revenue is not up to expectations and there will be nothing that any Seller who wants to sell on Ebay can do about it ,as Managed Payments will be the required method of payment per the CEO.

Message 12 of 76
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

@all-kindz   Yes,  I think the venue can do this ... and in your case it sounds like they did.  I also think they would be cutting off their nose despite their face when it comes to cash flow from Sold item Fees ... I wonder who they really think they are penalizing???

Hello Mr. L,
Why on earth would a mega Corp bother with us puny sellers?

It could well be an approach or tactics issue.

April was a lousy sales month, and when checking my dashboard under the sales block they had “our take” listings down and impressions down.

They were correct…Using the comments section, I let them know in no uncertain terms the reason was the GTC fiasco, and my choice for not listing as normal.

Since then the dashboard just mentions “keep an eye on your seller level” and May has been a much better month.

I rarely call into any CS department …if I have to it is best (IMO) to keep the conversation calm and thank the human for their time and effort…even if I do not like the result, the next step might be a strongly worded letter to the CEO/owner…or buy elsewhere.

Message 13 of 76
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

@trustedbasset wrote:

LOL

I think people are flatter themselves if they think anyone at eBay would give them a second thought, let alone "recommend" to "higher ups" that their sales be "limited". 

This is hardly flattery of ones self.  You do not know. I don't believe in coincidence. This has happened to me as well. I don't think they have to get the permission of the higher up's. Or even tell them.

Message 14 of 76
latest reply

I think that’s absurd 

LOL

Message 15 of 76
latest reply