cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

complaint

I sold a sewing pattern for $5.00. The buyer wrote an angry message and posted negative feedback claiming that the pattern was dirty, missing pieces, cut, etc. Over the top. I asked her to send me photos but she hasn't. I know that I should just refund it because it is too small an amount to waste time on, but at the same time, I feel like she is scamming. None of the reviews about her are negative (at least recently).

What do you advise?

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: complaint

For such trivial matters one should always instantly refund without the requirement to return the item and without asking for any photos or doubting the buyers veracity in any manner. Then at least you can ask the buyer to revise the neg and possibly get a revision.  But if you cast any doubt on their truthfulness then the odds of getting a revision dwindle.

Message 16 of 32
latest reply

Please note that buyers can only be given positive FB; therefore, the fact that none of her FB received is negative shouldn't be a surprise.  

Message 17 of 32
latest reply

I didn't know that

Message 18 of 32
latest reply

Most sellers will say just refund and let them keep it.

Not me, I always have them return it for a refund.

Once a buyer gets something for free, they think they can do it again and they will.

Have a great day
Message 19 of 32
latest reply

Yes you can sometimes get more of an idea who you're dealing with by looking at the feedback they've given to other sellers

Message 20 of 32
latest reply

If no return for refund case was opened; I would do nothing. They deserve nothing as they already gave a neg instead of contacting first. 

Second thing I would state as a 'reply' on their neg feedback (and yes, they can reply to your reply, but there is nothing they can say to change this fact of what you will state)

Simply not true. See my other wonderful glowing positive feedback.

Again- nothing they can say that will change that; and if your other feedback is as stated, most won't give that neg much juju. 

Message 21 of 32
latest reply

I thought I had seen feedback where buyer replied to seller's reply and that was the last word?

Maybe I'm wrong

Message 22 of 32
latest reply

@vmliferesources wrote:

yes, I have the photos I showed with the listing. She is describing conditions that are not consistent with what I sent her.

As a seamstress myself, I know it's difficult to neatly refold a pattern once you've removed and opened it. And since you showed some pictures of the pattern, is it possible she's being fussy about the way it was refolded and returned to the envelope? 

Did she contact you prior to leaving the feedback?

Did she open a return request?

If not, tell her to do so and that you'll accept it. On receipt of the dispute, just issue a refund of the $8.95 and be done with it! Although she sounds like a difficult buyer and PITA, it's not worth losing sleep over. 

Once you issue the full refund, she might be amenable to a feedback revision request. (I think I'd also respond to the feedback with "Had you contacted me with your disappointment prior to leaving feedback, I would have had the opportunity to make it right.")

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 23 of 32
latest reply

"As a seamstress myself, I know it's difficult to neatly refold a pattern once you've removed and opened it."

FYI -- 
Use a dry iron (not steam) to press the pieces flat.  Fold again and press.  Put the small pieces (facings, collars,  cuffs, plackets, etc.) inside the folded larger pieces.  Fold and press again to fit inside the pattern envelope.  

This has worked for me for more than 50 years.  Yes, I am just a little bit obsessive.  I have sold a few of my used patterns, knowing that all pieces are included.  

Message 24 of 32
latest reply

Just refund her but make her open a return so you get the item back and she has to make an effort to get her refund. Mad? When I get one of these, which is 1-2 a year, I always think of Walmart and think of how many crazy returns they have every day. Definitely, something not to waste 1 second of your life with. Get the return, refund, block her, and move on. Remember you are operating a business. You need to try to keep "personal feelings" out of it if you want to succeed. Think of the other 99.99% positive transactions you have had. This won't be the first time you have something like this so the sooner you understand how to process this and avoid personal feelings, the better off you will be able to operate your sales on eBay. And yes, I am speaking from my own experience. I wish you all the luck!

Message 25 of 32
latest reply

I would agree - just refund her.  You can leave Feedback to her negative Feedback.  This happened to me a year ago and I just lived with the Negative Feedback.  I see though sometimes if you get in touch with the buyer after you refund her, she might be able to rescind the Feedback.

Message 26 of 32
latest reply

Refund and block. 

The end.

Message 27 of 32
latest reply

Personally, I'd require that it be returned, just because I'd be curious as to what I would receive back and what the condition would be.  

Message 28 of 32
latest reply

Scamming for 5 bucks?

Message 29 of 32
latest reply

Refunding will not change the feedback which is the real problem.

While eBay doesn't use FB to assess member accounts, new customers will.

Look not at her FB Received , but at her Feedback Left for Others.

Does that indicate changes or removals? If so this may well be a tactic to get free stuff. (For five bucks. Sheesh. )

All your patterns are described as Used.

It may help if that is in the Title as well as in Item Specifics and in the Description.

You can't say it too often.

Many pattern sellers state "uncut unused factory folded" for old patterns that have not been used, even if the envelope is scruffy.

Patterns really require a status other than New or Used, since many have been purchased and then never touched again.

You could add a Response like "I regret you were not happy with your purchase. Please return it for a refund."

If she opens a Dispute. "I regret you were not happy with your purchase. Please return it for a refund."

If she opens a Dispute, you may have to send return shipping. If she doesn't use it, you win the Dispute and eventually the shipping will be refunded.

Message 30 of 32
latest reply