cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

anybody notice a slowdown in activity as of late? or is it just me? hope to hear from you all. Regar

Hi people, was just wondering if anybody else has noticed a bit of a slowdown in activity the past few weeks? or is it just me and a coincidence? Hope to hear from you. Regards, C.L.

Message 1 of 65
latest reply
64 REPLIES 64

Re: anybody notice a slowdown in activity as of late? or is it just me? hope to hear from you all. R

<sound of crickets>

yah, I haven't seen ebay this dead in a long, long time O_o

Message 2 of 65
latest reply

Re: anybody notice a slowdown in activity as of late? or is it just me? hope to hear from you all. R

You are NOT alone.

I average 700-850 listings on my site daily for years & years. And I apparently am now INVISIBLE. In my ll yaears selling on here, as  this is the worst April sales ever in all those years.

I am upset, as I don't do this for fun, but for $$$$$.. love selling here, & have delightful lbuyer/customes.. But to pay $l54 this month in listing fees, to make a measly profit, is something to reconsider.I called cs-but it's the same answer "we can't make people buy from you.", said one rep. NICE remark, eh? Most of the reps are lovely, professional, etc,but eery once in a while you encounter a snarky comment, not pleasant to have someone patronize you.

I tweaked my listings, changed titles, held my first sale ever, and still no appreciable increase in anything, views included.And I think half of the views, aren't evenr real, for reasons I won't waste time discussing.I think the political elections, and tax time impact sales, for sure, but that's not the only answer. Since we are no longer being seen inGoogle, I think that has hurt us small sellers who don't have name branding. Whatever it is, it is.  I am praying we all do better in the following week, and if there is an over glutting on the eBay market, we will soon realize that small sellers are somewhat doomed & being crushed price wise by the Asian market, which has cheap labor & can afford to offer low prices, & they have free shipping, I assume....or so it seems to me. Maybe it's just a seasonal thing-too soon to tell. I wish you well, and same for us....Love eBay, don't want a divorce, LOL. Ready for a reconcilliation, LOL!

Message 3 of 65
latest reply

Most people have not heard that Ebay changed search again In March.  A major change.

https://www.ebayinc.com/stories/news/new-browsing-modules-leverage-ebays-structured-data-to-better-s...

They feel there are too many listings, and buyers are overwhelmed.

Ebays tinkering is why sales have died for many.

I call it the 2016 seller purge.

Message 4 of 65
latest reply

Of late? No, it's been very very slow for me for over 6 months now. I've been relisting the same women's clothes over and over for a few months.

I also sell cosmetics when I have them in stock, and these sell much more easily. Really depends what my price point is for these items though, and some things sell much more easily than others. Nail polish is pretty hard to move unless I price it really low, so is mid-end makeup unless I offer it for cheap.

For the clothes I'm considering donating the majority to a thrift store at this point. I don't want to be storing this stuff for years hoping it'll sell.
Message 5 of 65
latest reply

@paulibeverlyhills wrote:

You are NOT alone.

I average 700-850 listings on my site daily for years & years. And I apparently am now INVISIBLE. In my ll yaears selling on here, as  this is the worst April sales ever in all those years.

I am upset, as I don't do this for fun, but for $$$$$.. love selling here, & have delightful lbuyer/customes.. But to pay $l54 this month in listing fees, to make a measly profit, is something to reconsider.I called cs-but it's the same answer "we can't make people buy from you.", said one rep. NICE remark, eh? Most of the reps are lovely, professional, etc,but eery once in a while you encounter a snarky comment, not pleasant to have someone patronize you.

I tweaked my listings, changed titles, held my first sale ever, and still no appreciable increase in anything, views included.And I think half of the views, aren't evenr real, for reasons I won't waste time discussing.I think the political elections, and tax time impact sales, for sure, but that's not the only answer. Since we are no longer being seen inGoogle, I think that has hurt us small sellers who don't have name branding. Whatever it is, it is.  I am praying we all do better in the following week, and if there is an over glutting on the eBay market, we will soon realize that small sellers are somewhat doomed & being crushed price wise by the Asian market, which has cheap labor & can afford to offer low prices, & they have free shipping, I assume....or so it seems to me. Maybe it's just a seasonal thing-too soon to tell. I wish you well, and same for us....Love eBay, don't want a divorce, LOL. Ready for a reconcilliation, LOL!

You got some really cute stuff unfortunately a lot of it is oversaturated.

The Betty Boop is super cute but there's over 63,000 listings showing up so seems that's getting lost in the sea of stuff.

If you have time to spare while you wait for sales I highly recommend you create a pinterest account.  Start following people who pin jewelry & other fashion stuff.  The more people you follow the more of a following you can create for yourself.  

Start creating your boards on pinterest.  One for fine jewelry, costume jewelry etc.  Be sure to have some educational boards showing what the fashion trends are.  

When you make a sale write up a thank you note and put your web address to your pinterest.  You'll get more followers following you.  The beautiful part is if they see something they like they're taken right to your listing or store (depends what url you put in when you pin your products for sale).  It will take some time to build up a large following but if you consistently add value to your customers (educational pins with "how to's", "what's in", "fashion tips" etc) you'll build a customer base that trusts you and is interested in what you're selling.

I only have about 80 listings up but I did over $1,700 last month.  1/3rd of those sales came from my own marketing efforts.

If you go to youtube and search "how to sell on Pinterest" you'll find some informational videos.  I don't recommend paying anyone to teach you.  It's not hard.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+sell+on+pinterest

One thing is clear, we can't depend on Ebay to do our marketing for us.  We have to market ourselves or take the measley crumbs that are thrown to us.

Happy Selling! 😄
Message 6 of 65
latest reply

There have been problems for years that haven't been fixed like the mobile app and they are continuing to have daily problems. They are not fixing existing problems but make more with the constant changes.

Check this link once in a while - read the comments - many are having the same problems as we see on the boards and various forums with Ebay.

http://downdetector.com/status/ebay
Message 7 of 65
latest reply

@tunicaslot wrote:
There have been problems for years that haven't been fixed like the mobile app and they are continuing to have daily problems. They are not fixing existing problems but make more with the constant changes.

Check this link once in a while - read the comments - many are having the same problems as we see on the boards and various forums with Ebay.

http://downdetector.com/status/ebay

Did you click on the "outage map"?

I am assuming the yellow is whats out.    If that is true, Its showing Ebay out for 90% of America!!!!!

Message 8 of 65
latest reply

You are NOT alone.

@paulibeverlyhills

well ...... i can tell you a few reasons you may not be selling 

• your photos are horrible. what kinda camera are you using? a potato?
  • "sorry, but camera lens collected dusty& affected quality of the photo" WTH buy a new camera ?
  • You sell jewelry, you really need to learn how to photograph it if you want to sell it.  
  • youre not allowed to write TEXT like that blatant on your photos, i dont even know why you do it looks cheesy and very unprofessional esp the colorful text
  • my god your description is T E R R I B L E   you do not need ALL of that text let alone all of that color or that freaking font, who uses COMIC SANS anymore! wow. get rid of ALL of it! Your description should be CLEAN arial black font left aligned with a FEW bullet points (none of that other sh.it matters) 
  • REMOVE all of the HTML and PHOTO from your listing descriptions. very unnecessary, the auctiva cr.ap you have in there isn't even working. puts you down in search results too 
  • Your titles . STOP USING CAPS!! Capitalize Every Word... make them look uniform 
  • Your store has TOO MANY categories 

I could go on and on but I gave you a lot to work on. All of your photos need redone and your descriptions are atrocious. DOn;t blame ebay for your lack of sales. 

Message 9 of 65
latest reply

But what if your listings are on the servers with the problems? Sorry but Ebay continually has problems other e-commerce sites don't. All the traffic that flows across Amazon servers and yet I've never encountered a problem.

Folks - it's not a sin to admit that sales have suffered, the site has problems and is not the go to site for most people anymore.

I love Ebay more than anyone - but there are many problems here. It's not always the sellers fault for lack of sales.

Let's be realistic and not sheeple drinking the Kool-Aid. Your allegiance is not getting you any more views, sales or watchers than anyone admitting there are problems or not commenting at all. Nothing is perfect.
Message 10 of 65
latest reply

@kozmicbluesbabe wrote:

I could go on and on but I gave you a lot to work on. All of your photos need redone and your descriptions are atrocious. DOn;t blame ebay for your lack of sales

Hundreds of sellers are experiencing the same sudden drop-off in sales, including sellers who have been doing this for a decade or longer, Captain Know-It-All.

Message 11 of 65
latest reply

The slow down is from Ebay emailing buyers in your watch list, and letting them know ANOTHER SELLER has the exact same item for a lower price, and even gives the buyer the link to the lower priced item.

Message 12 of 65
latest reply

The lights went out here today...

But I haven't listed much new in a few days because of tax returns for clients. I always subscribe to "list more, sell more".

Cheers, C.

Message 13 of 65
latest reply

@kozmicbluesbabe wrote:

You are NOT alone.

@paulibeverlyhills

well ...... i can tell you a few reasons you may not be selling 

• your photos are horrible. what kinda camera are you using? a potato?
  • "sorry, but camera lens collected dusty& affected quality of the photo" WTH buy a new camera ?
  • You sell jewelry, you really need to learn how to photograph it if you want to sell it.  
  • youre not allowed to write TEXT like that blatant on your photos, i dont even know why you do it looks cheesy and very unprofessional esp the colorful text
  • my god your description is T E R R I B L E   you do not need ALL of that text let alone all of that color or that freaking font, who uses COMIC SANS anymore! wow. get rid of ALL of it! Your description should be CLEAN arial black font left aligned with a FEW bullet points (none of that other sh.it matters) 
  • REMOVE all of the HTML and PHOTO from your listing descriptions. very unnecessary, the auctiva cr.ap you have in there isn't even working. puts you down in search results too 
  • Your titles . STOP USING CAPS!! Capitalize Every Word... make them look uniform 
  • Your store has TOO MANY categories 

I could go on and on but I gave you a lot to work on. All of your photos need redone and your descriptions are atrocious. DOn;t blame ebay for your lack of sales. 

I hated to even copy and paste this, but there is some "constructive" missing from your "criticism"

Message 14 of 65
latest reply

I do not think your listings are terrible.  I think it is great that you list in the manner that you like, everything plain vanilla gets stale quick.

I hope your sales pick up.  You put alot of effort into your listings!